"O" Dear

In reply to G3NYY:

Indeed. Do you remember on a Monday morning at 10 am they used to run
all the new commercials that would be used in the coming week?

I’m far too young to rememeber such things, Walt…

Topic drift … de GO3NYY

LOL, that’s most unusual for the SOTA Reflector :wink:

73 Mike
MO6MMM

In reply to 2E0YYY:

“1001 …
Cleans a big, big carpet …
For less than half-a-crown!”

73 de GO3NYY

In reply to G3NYY:

GO3NYY
^___
^___
^___
^___

I’m stunned and shocked to see Walt falling in line with this fashion! :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Glass houses come to mind …

Andy
MA0FMF

[Source Sotawatch reflector, 10 September 2009]

Walt GO3NYY

Heh! As a relative newcommer to this game, I watched the “R” and “Q” calls come and go, and now “O” is here. What other occasions have been graced with special prefix letters over the years?

73, Rick M0LEP (who got NoVs for R,Q and O but who hasn’t used any of them on-air.)

In reply to G3NYY:

I’ve always been a sucker for a shiny prefix Walt. I’ve had an MA, MR & MQ and an MO still to use. (Though why I’d want another dash in my call, I have enough already.) I’m sure I’d read you weren’t for all this modern callsign nonsense. Must have been someone else on ukra.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M0LEP:

Hi Rick,

In addition to the ones you mentioned, the letters ‘E’ and ‘Q’ have been permitted for previous Queen’s Jubilee celebrations. So this year is the second time ‘Q’ has been used.

There was a special station some years ago at the site of the J F Kennedy Memorial at Runnymede. I think it used a ‘GK’ prefix (although I’m not sure of this one), and it also used a USA callsign for a couple of weeks.

‘GG’ has been issued quite recently for a special Girl Guides anniversary activity. ‘MZ’ is occasionally authorised for contest operation from the Shetland Islands.

‘A’ was permitted for use in Scotland to celebrate the ‘Scottish Homecoming’ year in 2009.

The only secondary letters I can’t recall EVER having been used are ‘F’ ‘L’ ‘V’ and ‘Y’ … but someone may be able to prove me wrong!

By the way, for a short time callsigns in the ‘2K’ series were issued upon request to CB-ers!!!

Walt (GO3NYY)

In reply to M0LEP:

1977 E for Lizbet’s Silver Jubilee
2000 2C Welsh amateurs, Welsh assembly i.e. my call would have been 2C0FMF
2002 E for Lizbet’s Golden Jubilee
2009 A for Scottish amateurs, Year of Homecoming.
2011 R for Billy’s wedding
2012 Q for Lizbet’s Diamond Jubilee
2012 O for 2012 London Olympics (not sure I can legally use those 3 words together with giving some money to Seb Coe!)

Any I have forgotten?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I’m sure I’d read you weren’t for all this modern callsign nonsense. Must have
been someone else on ukra.

Not me, Andy. I’ve had all the variants that have been offered! However, I am well known for my opposition to the use of ‘recycled’ callsigns by kids pretending to be old-timers!
:wink:

73 de G*3NYY [since January 1960]

In reply to G3NYY:

However, I am well known for my opposition to the use of ‘recycled’
callsigns by kids pretending to be old-timers!
:wink:

:frowning:

de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

:slight_smile:

In reply to G4MD:

Hi Walt / Andy

GV was used in May 1985 to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the end of WW2
( - V for victory )

73 Graham G3OHC

In reply to G3NYY:

G8XYJ - Created 1980
Retired 1982 - replaced by G4OYX

I came along in 1987!

M3XTL Created in 2002
2E0XTL Created in 2009
G8XYJ Recycled in 2011

Means that someone can have the excellent M0XTL which when said phonetically, Xray Tango Lima, runs off the tongue nicely!

I like to think that us Recyclers are part of a very elusive but sentimental club!!!

In reply to G8XYJ:

The longer I’m licensed the more I think that all calls should be reissued a few years after they stop being used. Much as is done in the US and VK and probably other countries. Stops all the nonsense in its tracks. You keep a licence current, you keep the callsign. Let it lapse and the callsign goes into the pool.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M0LEP:

1977 E for Lizbet’s Silver Jubilee
2000 2C Welsh amateurs, Welsh assembly i.e. my call would have been
2C0FMF
2002 E for Lizbet’s Golden Jubilee
2009 A for Scottish amateurs, Year of Homecoming.
2011 R for Billy’s wedding
2012 Q for Lizbet’s Diamond Jubilee
2012 O for 2012 London Olympics (not sure I can legally use those 3
words together with giving some money to Seb Coe!)

Any I have forgotten?

Andy
MM0FMF

Q was used for the Queen Elizabeth’s Golden Jubilee in 2002, not E.

Jimmy 2(O)0EYP

In reply to G3OHC:

Thanks, Graham. I had completely forgotten about GV!

Walt (GO3NYY)

In reply to 2E0EYP:

Q was used for the Queen Elizabeth’s Golden Jubilee in 2002, not E.

Jimmy 2(O)0EYP

Yes, you are right, Jimmy.

Think of the confusion it would have caused if they had used ‘E’ in 2002.
2E stations (Novice/Intermediate) would have kept their usual callsigns. Meanwhile, all 2M, 2I, 2W, etc stations would have moved (metaphorically) to England for the duration!

Walt (GO3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Having used my “O” prefix a few times, I think the most common issue is the GO being mistaken for GM on CW, certainly for stations that may not be aware that there are GO / MO stations around.

On a different note, not being one that is interested in sport I haven’t really been looking forward to the Olympics, but I did think the opening show last night was very impressive!

Thanks & 73,

Mark GO0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:
Mark,

When you called me the other evening, I started writing GM0…then realised it was GO0…and lost the rest. No problems second call though (-:

I agree with you, I thought the opening ceremony was very good, it had feeling, and the theme had clearly been thought out and well planned by Danny Boyle and co. I like the way he concentrated on what the UK has going for it, history, good or bad! He’s a great director.

73,Ian.