NP summits info

I am planning a weeks break in the North Yorkshire Dales in May or June, probably in West Burton, Aysgarth or Hawes area.
Can anyone advise me on any easy access summits in the area please, if any exhist ?
Preferably similar to the access at Hope Mountain.

Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:
Mike I would consider all NP summits to be more strenuous than Holyhead Mountain. It`s not too far to drive to the easier of the LD summits such as Arnside Knott or Kirkby Moor.
Steve G1INK.

In reply to G1INK:

That sounds ok to me Steve, it’s a nice drive from the dales through Sedburgh to LD land, probably have to do it in the afternoons though, depending on the previous night’s arm bending with the locals.
Thanks for the advice Steve.

Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

Mike

Try Long Mountain/Beacon Ring (MW-026) sometime. They dont come much easier than that!

I generally agree with Steve regarding the NPs - although Rombalds Moor is much easier that Holyhead Mountain but is not really where you will be. Near your holiday location all the summits are trickier than Holyhead Mountain.

Richard

In reply to GW0DSP:
All the summits in the dales are great: Some can be hard long walks others can just be long walks like Rogans Seat which i did yesterday,
Fountains fell, Horeshead moor, Sharp haw and Thorpe fell, are good ones,
Like others say on the way to the lakes you can do Arnside Knott, Hutton Roof Grag, then into the lakes it self where you have Gummer How, Whitbarrow, Claife Heights,Top o’Selside, most of these are just one pointers,
But when you get into the lakes you can do LD-003 Helvelyn which ive done in an hour and half from bottom to top, Give it a try,
Also just a tip if you using rucksack antenna try a half wave in steads of quater wave,

In reply to M0SGB:

Thanks for the tips Steve, all on my list of maybe summits. Long walks are out unfortunately and so is Helvellyn, because of the back problem, I broke two vertabrae and crushed a disc in 1984ish and have to be very careful these days, hence the nightmare I had getting up Holyhead, hi.

Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:
not always the case, small summits can be just as hard as big ones,
if you have a support/belt on, the it might be able to do something like Fountains fell and Horsehead moor, Then dont forget you can always do Inglebourough from Horton-in-Ribbledale this is a nice steady walk about 3 hours from the cafe,
LOOK forward to getting some points back,
just looking at whats going on heer i see that you and Steve are doing them together camping as well eh!!!

In reply to GW0DSP:
Just a quick one dont forget late May/early June might be heavy traffic with the horse drawn caravans going to Appleby Horse Fair.

In reply to GW0DSP:

I would say that all the NP summits in the vicinity of holiday are more strenuous than Holyhead Mountain. Arnside Knott G/LD-058 is OK if you take the longer curving path around to the summit, rather than try to go directly and steeply straight up from the car park. Lambrigg Fell G/LD-046 is a nice stroll with just a sharp grassy climb at the end. Hutton Roof Crags G/LD-052 could be a possibility from the Plain Quarry car park.

Rombalds Moor G/NP-028 is more or less flat from the parking area, and Bishop Wilton Wold G/TW-004 requires only a very short slight descent from the parking area to the activation position! All rather out of your way, but the ones in the area you are going are not trivial.

In reply to M0SGB:

Can I order a case of what you have been drinking? hi.

“Then dont forget you can always do Inglebourough from Horton-in-Ribbledale this is a nice steady walk about 3 hours from the cafe.”

Three hours walk is a dream for me, hi, I wish.

"just looking at whats going on heer i see that you and Steve are doing them together camping as well eh!!! "

Nah, Steve is going this weekend with his family, I am going either next week or in June with the xyl, so summits in between nagging, hi.
Might go to LD instead, not sure yet Steve.

Cheers

Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

Well, if you want a trivial hill to do and ever get up into what soon maybe The Peoples Independant Republic of Scotland (election day is this week), check out Cairnpapple Hill SS-254. About 15m to climb and less than 200m walk from the car park. I’m embarrassed to have claimed it!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
That sounds harder than the Great Orme !! Too much for me.