NOV-2019: SOTA activity in Spain and the Spanish speaking American Countries over the month of October.

From my NOV-2019 news in Spanish

SOTA activators and activations carried out in Spain and the Spanish-American Countries in October-2019:

With the information available in the database, this is the graph of the activations and activators in Spain in October 2019.

EA1 leads again this month in number of activations, followed by EA2=EA5, EA4=EA6, EA7, EA3 and EA8. We don’t see any activation from the EA9 call area.

This is the graph of the number of activations per month in 2019 and the averaged montly activations number in 2018.

We see a significant decrease with respect to the previous months, which I interpret as a clear sign that summer and vacations are over. Well done and thanks to all activators!

Here’s the graph for the chasers and number of chases in Spain:

The TOP 5 of the EA chasers this month is EA2DT, EA2IF, EA2CKX, EA1DHB and EA5GMB. I encourage to all those not doing it yet to register and upload their chases onto the SOTA database.

This is the graph for the monthly chases in Spain in 2019.

Like the activations, we see the chases have also decreased with respect to the previous months, thus indicating that summer and vacations are over, but it’s still a good number. Well done and thanks to all the chasers!

=============================================================

With the information available in the database, this is the graph of the activations and activators in the Spanish speaking American Countries with existing SOTA associations in October 2019.

We see this month 4 activations in LUM Mendoza-Argentina and 2 in TI Costa Rica. Well done and thanks to the activators!
I want to mention an anomaly I see this month as well as I saw it last month. the activator @LU1MAW declares his activator callsign as LU1MAW/M. We don’t know if he is signing /M because he activated from a vehicle but this is clearly prohibited according to the General Rules and a specific information about this in my last month bulletin.

This is the graph of the number of activations per month in 2019 and the averaged montly activations number in 2018.

We see activation slightly increasing and we keep seeing activations on every month. Being this month triple of the 2018 monthly average. Well done. Come on, keep going!

Regarding the chasing activity, we see 4 chases from KP4 and 1 in LUM. We hope other chasers will register and start uploading their SOTA chases to the database very soon.
This is the graph:

This is the graph for the monthly chases in the Spanish speaking American Countries with existing SOTA associations in October 2019:

We hope these numbers will keep rising.

Thanks for reading this news. I hope you found it of interest.

Guru - EA2IF (member of the SOTA Global Publicity Team)

3 Likes

Hi Gurú! I’m using the /M cause the ENACOM rules. Here we have this particular region (provinces) identification.

So, the /P is not portable operation, it means you are away from your qth operating at the San Juan province.
Same for Mendoza. We have the M identifier and if we are away from the qth we have to add the /M modifier.
Thats why the Mendoza SOTA Association is LUM and Córdoba is LUH…and so on.

Hope that helps to understand why I use it.
73!

1 Like

Thank you very much, Alejandro, for the explanation. It’s clear now, although I confess I find it quite confusing for the rest of the World. So, your call LU1MAW/M means that you are transmitting away from your base station and your current QTH is located in the province of Mendoza.
One question: is it mandatory the use of callsign/province designation letter when operating away from your base station QTH or is it optional as it happens here in Spain with the call area number? Not too long ago, it was mandatory for any ham in EA signing as callsing/call area number when transmitting away from the base station QTH, but it’s now changed from mandatory to optional and I could perfectly be signing as EA2IF only or EA2IF/4 when transmitting from Madrid.

Guru

Its mandatory by the Argentinian rules of ENACOM, but some people prefers not use it in order to not be confusing for the rest of the world. That was y first approach… but someone in my country point me that was wrong.

One of those cases where, in a phone mode, I guess you’d probably use the province name in full rather than (or in addition to) the suffix letter, but in CW and the more restrictive data modes there’s no easy way to make the distinction.
It makes an interesting addition to the differing rules for suffixes around the world.

A clear cut example of the fact that in Ham Radio, no matter what you do, someone will tell you that you are doing it wrong

1 Like

Yes, but they wont give their callsign when they tell you that you are doing it wrong!

1 Like

Interesting and fun to read. Thanks, Guru!

Andy, N4LAG

1 Like