Nokia SMSBOT App

During a short break from learning about our SOTA database and whilst getting a machine ready to support the development software, I needed to do something different to let my mind rest. What better way of resting than writing some software. So I’ve written a simple app that makes entering the data to use with my SMSBOT child’s play. I would almost say it’s fool proof but nearly 30 years in the software industry means I know there is no limit to the ingenuity of fools! :slight_smile:

I haven’t wrapped it up into an app that can be installed direct to a phone. That’s a bit tricky and I don’t need to do it for my own use. However, if there are enough people who have the right phone and want this then I’ll look into it. What surprised me was that from installing the developer files to having a finished (beta test) piece of code that would send an SMS only took 3hrs and that included cooking the tea and putting clothes into the tumble dryer.

So if you have a Nokia phone running Symbian S60 3rd edition or Symbian S60 5th edition and you use the SMSBOT then you are in luck. If you don’t know if you have the right phone then you can look at this Wikipedia web page and find out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S60_(software_platform)

If your phone is listed against “S60 3rd Edition”, “S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1”, “S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2” or “S60 5th Edition” and you would be interested in this then drop me a line to mm0fmf AT hotmail.com (do the obvious). If enough people want this I’ll figure out how to make an installer.

Now, I’m about to take a laptop to bed with the Database source and study that before dropping into the arms of Morpheus. WX looks not too bad so I hope to bag a pair of 4pt summits which means a 7.00am wakeup. And yes, Gerald, I know that’s a lie in for you!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

WX looks not too bad so I hope to bag a pair of 4pt summits

Shh! Too late you tempted fate and lost with that one.

In reply to GW7AAV:

I turned back at Perth! I haven’t seen rain like that on the M90 for sometime. WX forecast last night was for the odd shower. At 8.10am (I left the house at 7.40am) it was changed to

“Rain clearing to isolated if any showers.
Rain on and off, mainly southern hills in region for 3 or 4 hours after dawn, will clear eastwards, leaving the risk of one or two showers in afternoon.”

It’s still drizzling away here. Pah!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
You ought to see it here, the cat came in this morning looking more like a drowned stoat!

It’s interesting watching it move on the weather radar movie:

I always play the movie before going out, sometimes it puts me off!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Is your rainfall radar still working? I use the metoffice one which seems to be broken today.

It has now recovered!

Rod

In reply to M0JLA:

Yes,it went down for a few hours but the static radar map on the weather gadget was still working. It looks a bit nasty sound the SP region right now!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

“It looks a bit nasty sound the SP region right now!”

It looks horrible out of the shack window in Buxton. Got the lights on here!

In reply to G1INK:

It may be horrible but the rain radar is accurately reflecting what they forecast. It’s just that the forecast when I left the house was out of date. It’s probably quite nice where I was going now. Which just annoys me more :frowning:

Pah!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

the rain radar is accurately reflecting what
they forecast

…works for me on several levels.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to MM0FMF:

“WX looks not too bad so I hope to bag a pair of 4pt summits which means a 7.00am wakeup. And yes, Gerald, I know that’s a lie in for you!”

7.00 a.m. is a lie in on a week day, let alone a SOTA day. You were over 4 hours late by my reckoning!

I see my lady-friend Di R Weather turned up on cue. She’s real cute that gal! Serves you right for planning… you should know what problems actually planning an activation causes - all you have to do is look at my track record!

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to MM0FMF:
It’s probably quite nice where I was going now. Which

just annoys me more :frowning:

Pah!

Andy
MM0FMF

Ye of little faith!
If you had crossed the hill at Glenshee you would have found that the weather was fine, and it brightened up in the afternoon so your second hill would have been fine too (if a bit slimy on the final ascent).

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to GM4TOE:

It ended up a beautiful day down here by 3.30pm.

Anyway no walk but I backed up my server (the SMSBOT one) as it needed doing.

I don’t care, I have next week off and will be out SOTAing all week.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I don’t care, I have next week off and will be out SOTAing all week.

I could be jealous, but Im not as I’ve had quite a few weekdays off this year up them thar hills. At least a week should give you time to “lightly” plan your activations without invoking the weather gods :wink:

Have fun - maybe have an S2S with you Monday if you are around.

Gerald G4OIG