No bonus points at DM/BW-029

Today i was early again…

My plan was Hohloh DM/BW-054 , Badener Höhe DM/BW-047 and Hoher Ochsenkopf DM/BW-029

Hohloh is almost a drive in.

To Badener Höhe there is a well developed and maintained winter hiking trail (I had my snowshoes completely useless at the backpack)

The first half of the trail to Hoher Ochsenkopf is also great developed and maintained. As it turned out, my snowshoes were unemployed today. After half of the way (about 1.7 km) I stood in front of a barrier: Wildlife protection area

As I learned in conversation with a local, this affects the whole upper mountain and thus the entire AZ.

My Plan B was Hornisgrinde DM/BW-019…

73 Armin

6 Likes

Hi Armin,

it can happen in both directions.
Area can be closed due to hunting…
The first week in the year was used for this in several areas.

Hope anyway you enjoyed the activations.
Good to have a plan B :slight_smile:

73s
Ingo

1 Like

The reserve is quite well known I think. I only know the English names but the Capercaillie (Tetrao urogallus) and the Three-toed Woodpecker (Picoides tridactylus) are found there plus other rare birds and animals. The 3 toed woodpecker was considered extinct in the Black Forest. It seems a bit early in the year to close access but I know Germany takes its forests very seriously.

6 Likes

Thanks for pointing this out, Armin. Is there any hint how long the trails are closed? We could add this information to the summit description in the data base.

73, Roman

2 Likes