Nice Shack!

Just seen this (posted elsewhere)

Bill G4WSB/P is heard in the first part of the video.

Stewart G0LGS

just as someones posted on Youtube

Thats not a Shack thats Mission Control!

and hes only a SWL too that must have cost him a fair bit

hihi

Matt M3WDS

In reply to M3WDS:

Thats not a Shack thats Mission Control!

and hes only a SWL too that must have cost him a fair bit

LOL! A little different from the R1155 and the random wire I started out with in 1957!

:slight_smile:

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G0LGS:

That really is a superb shack!

I’m quite envious HI!

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:

In reply to G0LGS:

That really is a superb shack!

I’m quite envious HI!

You can see the other half of the shack from just after the 3 minute mark on this video, Mark!

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

No soldering irons, no piles of junk, no half finished projects: that’s not a shack.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

As Eric says in the comments under the second video, he is a listener, not a Ham.

I’ll bet there isn’t a burble, whistle or screech anywhere in the LF to SHF spectrum that he can’t decode with that little lot. To be honest, a shack like that Deserves a much bigger antenna farm in a more rural location, but I am sure Eric is happy, or he wouldn’t have invested what must be a colossal amount of time, & effort, not to mention money into his station.

More power to his elbow (or ears) I say.

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:

It’s very pretty. The only item I’d like out of it is the Agilent HP8590 “plectrum spangalyser”. Possibly the RACAL stuff too.

You can tell the laws in NL are different to the UK. I would not post a video of me listening to military aircraft or Inmarsat downlinks etc. Whilst it’s almost impossible to stop anyone listening, the law in the UK makes it a crime to divulge things you heard that you weren’t meant to hear.

You can ask me how I know and I would say “from bitter personal experience.” :frowning:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I don’t know what you are talking about Andy :wink:

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0LGS:

He has a whole load more videos, but his shack can’t be that good or we would all have had one of his QSL cards by now. ;0P

Steve GW7AAV

In reply to G3NYY:

LOL! A little different from the R1155 and the random wire I started
out with in 1957!

I bet you wish you still had it, Walt, I had a “B” and an “N”, they drifted badly on twenty but I loved 'em, and spent hours gazing at that little green magic eye whilst listening to the world!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

As a relative newbie to radio I never had experience of using old gear when it was new. I have had the odd dabble with some big heavy old grey boxes since becoming licenced & they were very impressive. You could adjust everything, & even make up your own mode if you wanted to. They really were that versatile.

Very power hungry, & they did take up a lot of space, but marvellous fun nonetheless.

My own SWL shack has never been better than what I use now, although noise levels have increased dramatically over the past 18 years or so that I have been listening from here.

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:

I tend to forget, now, what it was like when I first got into radio. You could walk into one of these “ex WD” shops and come out with a “19 set”, for instance, still in its original packing case exuding a wonderful waxy smell, or a brand new R209 that could fill the top of a desk on its own! Much of the gear was not really very advanced for its time, but it was built to last, or to take a hit with a cannon shell and still work. One guy was messing with an AR88 and it slipped and fell through a first floor window: when it landed it smashed a paving slab. He tottered back upstairs with it and plugged it in again, and it not only was working but was still on the station that he had been listening to! We won’t see the like again.

“although noise levels have increased dramatically…” Ain’t that the truth!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

LOL! A little different from the R1155 and the random wire I
started
out with in 1957!

I bet you wish you still had it, Walt, I had a “B” and an
“N”, they drifted badly on twenty but I loved 'em, and spent
hours gazing at that little green magic eye whilst listening to the
world!

I had an RF-24 Unit with mine (for which I had paid 7/6d at an Army Surplus store). That enabled me to listen on 15m and 10m as well! It contained three VR65 pentodes.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

On the theme of nice shacks, how about this one?

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

On the theme of nice shacks, how about this one?

Washington Island's Ham Radio Treasure | QRZ Forums

Quite remarkable!

73 de G3NYY

In reply to G3NYY:

Back in the day, King Hussein had a nice shack too. I had to visit to fix his amplifier: a nice 10KW auto tune Racal unit. Sweet.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Back in the day, King Hussein had a nice shack too. I had to visit to
fix his amplifier: a nice 10KW auto tune Racal unit. Sweet.

LOL! Was he licensed to use 10 kW?
:wink:

73 de G3NYY

In reply to G3NYY:

In reply to G3CWI:

Back in the day, King Hussein had a nice shack too. I had to
visit to
fix his amplifier: a nice 10KW auto tune Racal unit. Sweet.

LOL! Was he licensed to use 10 kW?
:wink:

Nah, something like this is more fun, Walt.

BTW, I may have to send Dave some money :wink:

73 Mickey
2E0YYY

In reply to G8ADD:
That really is stunning, isn’t it?
Rod