Nice lift on 2m

Set off for Gun G/SP-013 this morning and had no idea there was a lift on the 2m band. Set up the X-300 Collinear and put out a CQ on 2m FM. Dave M0TUB was waiting for me and duly spotted me. After taking a few of the regulars I started to receive some nice DX. A call from Hertfordshire and a nice trip to Epsom Downs followed. There were lots of new call signs entering my log.

I QSY’d to 40m and made about 28 calls and then a spell on 15m produced very little in the way of DX. However, N4EX Rich did manage to find and spot me, he really is a great operator.

As things were so tough on HF, I returned to 2m FM. Managed to work Jenny MW0BET in Llandudno who has been QRT for a couple of years, a call north of the Humber Estuary, a fine contact with Don G0RQL in Devon, M6KJF/M in the car park of Butser Hill (what a S2S that could have been) and then a great contact of about 240 miles with Chris GU3TUX on Alderney.

This was certainly a great day for the VHF Junkies. Shame I wasn’t on G/SP-004, another 800 ft ASL would have been very nice…

Any predictions for VHF propagation tomorrow?

Thanks to all the chasers, also M0TUB and G1STQ for all the spots…

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Hi Mike

This site…

… indicates that it might be similar tomorrow.

GL 73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to G0AZS:

… indicates that it might be similar tomorrow.

GL 73 Marc G0AZS

Cheers Marc, may nip up SP-004 to take advantage of it. Should take a beam really, but will probably stick with the collinear.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

This was certainly a great day for the VHF Junkies. Shame I wasn’t on
G/SP-004, another 800 ft ASL would have been very nice…

Sometimes it doesn’t pay to be too high, you can be above the duct and unable to hear the DX being worked by lower stations!

The high pressure is drifting eastwards, I would beam towards Germany and the Low Countries tomorrow.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Sometimes it doesn’t pay to be too high, you can be above the duct and
unable to hear the DX being worked by lower stations!

The high pressure is drifting eastwards, I would beam towards Germany
and the Low Countries tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice Brian. I’ll probably give SP-004 a try. If it’s no good I can get back to SP-015 The Cloud, very quickly.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Good Effort Mike

Take a beam 10 watts and point it East, I was on 2m SSB in 2010 from Tor and worked Ipswich as well as hearing France. It is an excellent site so I prey that the Tropo Gods are obliging tomorrow Mike.

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to G8XYJ:

Of course if conditions are good, you should really be on 70cms. :wink:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G8XYJ:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Good Effort Mike

Take a beam 10 watts and point it East, I was on 2m SSB in 2010 from
Tor and worked Ipswich as well as hearing France. It is an excellent
site so I prey that the Tropo Gods are obliging tomorrow Mike.

Cheers Matt.

I really should take a beam, trouble is, I get fed up with turning the thing after about ten minutes. I’m hoping the Collinear will perform its magic tomorrow.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Get yourself a 10m high pole and a set of stacked halos or crossed dipoles Mike. :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

A Turnstile has more gain than stacked haloes and is relatively easy to make.

The beacons are up a bit this morning.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

My rusty WX map to tropo prediction skills suggest this afternoon may be better than this morning looking at how the pressure falls. WX Front has already reached Edinburgh… 6C warmer than yesterday, blue sky and ice has gone to be replaced with grey gloom.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to 2E0YYY:

"This was certainly a great day for the VHF Junkies. Shame I wasn’t on G/SP-004, another 800 ft ASL would have been very nice… "

Hi Mike, as you were on a non point scoring activation of Gun, its a pity you didnt try the nearby HuMP of the Roaches. An extra 390ft higher, with a great take-off. The take-off in my view is superior to Shining Tor which may explain the popularity of the nearby Merryton Low site with contesters.

The three best VHF take-offs in the area are all non-SOTA! (Merryton Low, The Roaches, and Shutlingsloe).

However, Mike’s MO is to work as many contacts as possible in his activations, so none of those sites will be able to compete with a qualifying SOTA summit, outside of the main VHF contests.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G1INK:

nearby Merryton Low site with contesters

Isn’t that more to do with being able to drive up to the summit unlike Shining Tor etc?

I remember when contesting from Cyrn-y-Brain, results from next door summit Esclusham were always better. But you can drive up to the top of Cyrn-y-Brain (well I could, I had a key) so it was easier to take big heavy contest stations. With Esclusham you have a climb carrying the gear. I wouldn’t like to have had to carry our Henry Tempo 2002, PSU, generator and 4x 17eles up to the summit by hand!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to G1INK:
Isn’t that more to do with being able to drive up to the summit unlike
Shining Tor etc?

Not (entirely) so. Merryton Low is a better site than Shining Tor due to its takeoff.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Any Luck today Mike?

Tropo playing ball I wonder…

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to G3CWI:

Not (entirely) so. Merryton Low is a better site than Shining Tor due
to its takeoff.

During the last big VHF lift, I opened the Belfast repeater with a Wouxun H/H and rubber duck antenna from Merryton Low and proceeded to have a qso with a station in GM!

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Mike
Yer all mixed up!
:<)

In reply to G8XYJ:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Any Luck today Mike?

Tropo playing ball I wonder…

Hi Matt, The DX was a bit slow to start with but as the day wore on, some pretty good contacts were made on the collinear. A French station was wiping out my frequency and I nearly qsy’d! However, he did go qrt. Unfortunately, using the Wouxun H/H on the collinear during a lift, brought its own problems with big pager QRM and I was forced to relent and deploy the FT-857.

As the day moved on, I was receiving calls from all over the UK, including Norfolk about 6 times, Great Yarmouth, Heathrow, Devon, Kent, Surrey, Lincolnshire Cambridgeshire, Bridlington, are just a few of the DX contacts I can remember off the top of my head, there were many more including five or six into Barrow…

Total of about 120 contacts on 2m fm and about 40 on HF, making about 160 on the day. I wish I could have stayed longer, but the light was fading fast and even the 20AH SLAB was groaning at the appetite of the FT-857!.

May have done better on a beam, but I’m not complaining :wink: The X-300 performed beautifully.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Told you to buy a beam.

Although only had 1 outing, so far very happy with my new Sotabeam I had for Christmas.

Today as you know I activated Gun SP-013 early doors. Using my new FT-60 (happy with that too…seems beter made than I was expecting :]) and my little plastic tube di-pole worked a treat.

Shame I could’nt stay longer as the DX was supposed to be getting better as the day got longer, but unlike some…work called!

Glad you had a good day Mickey.

ps…missed your phonecall as I was being dragged around Tesco and every little helps.

John