New Website

[quote=“GM4ZFZ, post:12, topic:12104”]
However, there’s no need to be melodramatic Rob
[/quote]Melodrama? - regular readers of this column will know me to be capable of far greater feats of melodrama than displayed here… :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Melodrama? We’ve already had a performance of “Hiss the Villain” with full audience participation in another thread today, what’s next - War and Peace? :wink:

Brian

Aahhh, audience participation: theatre in the round - the roar of the grease-paint, the smell of the crowd. Other people with their idiosyncrasies do add another dimension to our sorry existence, don’t they:

All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts…

Which part are you going to play today, Brian?

It depends on how things go, but if necessary:

Our revels now are ended. These our actors,
As I foretold you, were all spirits, and
Are melted into air, into thin air:
And like the baseless fabric of this vision,
The cloud-capp’d tow’rs, the gorgeous palaces,
The solemn temples, the great globe itself,
Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve,
And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,
Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff
As dreams are made on; and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.

Heavy stuff for a wet Sunday!

Brian

Plays within plays within plays - wonderful stuff.

Good night, good night! parting is such sweet sorrow,
That I shall say good night till it be morrow.

Rob

From the sublime to the gorblimey:

Goodbye-ee, goodbye-ee, wipe the tear, baby dear, from your eye-ee!

Anyway, apologies for the light entertainment!

Brian

“wipe the tear, baby dear”

I always wondered if there was something odd about you two. Here in San Francisco, we don’t give it a second thought. Doesn’t make you a bad person, you know. Hee Hee

Elliott, K6EL

1 Like

Just to say I’ll be switching across to the new website in the next day or 3.

Anyone relying on either Spotlite or the RssFeed should probably switch their usage now to:

These URIs work now, will do so through the transition and for some time afterwards.

73, Jon

1 Like

I’ve pushed the SOTAcluster and SMS spotters over to using these updated addresses. My tests suggests everything is working but mail me and mm0fmf AT hotmail.com if you see cluster or SMS issues.

1 Like

Is there any specific advice for those who are screen-scaping SOTAwatch? (Other than “Don’t”, which will have to await publication of the new API).

My guess is that the change you’re about to do doesn’t affect www.sotawatch.org at all but thought it worth checking.

Martyn M1MAJ

It should be fine for some time. It’s just a replacement website that is happening atm. I will be deprecating the Summit lists/search, etc in SW in favour of the new website. But that won’t affect spots, etc.

There is a new version of SOTAwatch coming down the road. But by the time it hits the API should be out of beta and starting to mature. Even then I could keep the old version running for a while if necessary.

I see that the new look Web site now appears (for me) at www.sota.org.uk

Stewart

Propably I have chosen the wrong point in time. But for me clicking the “Spot!” or “Get URL” ends up in

The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Seems the links for the buttons were not updated.

73 de Michael, DB7MM

I’ve been looking at the new Web site at www.sota.org.uk and found very nice the look change.
THANKS FOR THE GREAT WORK.
73 de Guru

Hi Jon,
Could you possibly move the quick links to other sites from the online resources page to the home page please? If using sota.org.uk as a gateway to the other sites, as I advise people to do, it’s better if the links are on the home page.

Ed.

Very impressed with the new web site. Nice and clean and very user friendly. The online resources page is especially impressive. A grand piece of work, well done all involved.

psi

Sorry about that … this should now be fixed.

73, Jon

Yes, I can see why this might be useful. Leave it with me.

73, Jon

I just noticed that the Summits tab is missing from the top of the SOTAWatch homepage. Also, when highlighting the summit in a spot , personal activate/chase history is also missing. Is this an issue related to the transition to the new website?

Rich N4EX

After further examination, I am noticing a combination of formats when highlighting the summit on a SOTAwatch spot: W4C/US-022: “classic view”, VE6/RA-034: “classic view” with my chaser history, G/SP-013: new look with no chaser history,

Rich N4EX