New Svalbard (JW) SOTA DX-pedition 1-5 May 2022

Knut was very happy to get you in the log! If I am not mistaken it was his very first ZL contact. It was special also that you managed it on SSB. Something happened with propagation on our side actually. It was pile-up and next moment silence on both 17 and 20, EU was also cut out.

Спасибо что подошли, Андрей. Надеемся на ещё одну связь завтра!

73 LB8CG/Михаил.

Great pictures and great work from you.
Thanks for S2S with Lauris JW/LB1RH/P
I wish you all the best of luck and have a safe journey home.
73 IW3AGO Henry

2 Likes

Please stand by ;), one more activation coming tomorrow!

8 Likes

Yesterday I was activating JA/HG-016 during my evening and night looking for you guys! When I saw the spot on 18MHz I jumped to in and I could hear you! I tried many times but it was impossible…
Good luck in the next days!
73 de JP3PPL

Oh! Thanks for the attempt Takeo San! We managed to work few JA stations at 17m, but it was not easy. Did you try 20m, conditions to Asia was much better and our SSB operators could log many more JA, BA, ZL stations.

1 Like

Update: JW/MS-037 is confirmed!

Tomorrow (5th of May) we will activate one more summit.

Most likely it will be Arctowskifjellet SOTLAS

Final summit selection depends on WX tomorrow. ETA approx 9-11 UTC.

1 Like

. . . unfortunately not on the weekend and within the QRL’s closing period, so I’ll think of you and the gang only, hi. :cherries:

73, DIZ

1 Like

Excellent weather (and radio) conditions today – very little wind, blue sky. We had a S2S with JW5MUA Solveig – the first S2S in JW (and maybe also the first within the Arctic Circle?).

JX/LB4MI also called from his shack on Jan Mayen, thanks! :pray:

@LB8CG is working a big JA pileup on 15m as I write this :smile:

18 Likes

Congratulations to all the team!! It is very exciting to work you and be able to see your pictures: almost like being there real time!

Your pile up is huge but you’re dealing very well, it is a pleasure to follow the DX calls during your activation.
Again congrats for such outstanding expedition and a safe trip back. Thanks all.

VY 73 de Ignacio

5 Likes

While Manuel HB9DQM, having fun with pile-up on 15m.

I will post more photos!

23 Likes

No band seemed to be optimum between JW and G today, but it was worth the wait hanging in on 17m to work Manuel. Many thanks for the QSO… Manuel you should be awarded an extra bonus point for remembering my name. I certainly didn’t expect that from an expedition operator. It made my day. :grinning:

73, Gerald

7 Likes

Congratulation for that exeptional activation! It was great fun to work you on various bands, even in S2S! TNX!!

4 Likes

Great photos Manuel.

Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

From The ARRL Letter for May 5, 2022.

A team of four SOTA activators completed a successful DXpedition to the Arctic Island of Svalbard (IOTA EU-026) in the first five days of May 2022. The activators were: Knut Lanidsa LA9DSA (operating as JW9DSA), Lauris Paukste LB1RH (operating as JW/LB1RH), Mikhail Khelik LB8CG (operating as JW/LB8CG), Manuel Kasper HB9DQM (operating as JW/HB9DQM). The team was QRV on CW and SSB from 15m through 30m. The summits activated were: Knapen JW/MS-095, 759m ASL, and Rejmyrefjellet JW/MS-140, 615m ASL. Congratulations to Mikhail LB8CG who achieved his SOTA Mountain Goat award with the activation of Knapen JW/MS-095. For more information about the SOTA - Summits on the Air awards program, please visit www.sota.org.uk.

:clap:

73, Éric

8 Likes

Complimenti!! :grinning:

2 Likes

Nice pictures and great activation thank you!
73‘
DL6FBK, Paul

2 Likes

Спасибо за QSO! Первый раз заполучил в SOTA log ZL, прохождение улучшается, совсем недавно работаc c горки с вашим коллегой ZL4NVW уже дома в LA, DX на соте всегда приятно :).