New rig

This loooks interesting especially to 50w 4m multimode capability.

In reply to G1INK:

Hi Steve.

That looks like a very interesting rig for both home and potentially portable use. Wonder what sort of price tag this one will have.

Liz.

In reply to G1INK:
Looks like a nice radio. I am thinking about buying one. Just depends on the price. It will be nice to have a radio that covers 4m SSB without having to use my transverter. Had some great contacts on 4m so a bit more power would be nice. Might be a bit too big for SOTA. Looking forward to its release. 73 de M0MDA

In reply to M6EPW:

I’d hazard the RRP will be £1499 inc VAT and they’ll be about £1200-£1250 in reality.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I dare say you wont be far off! I bet Icom will pile on the additions though! You want D-Star pay another 300 pounds etc!

Still I would be keen to sell the 857 and replace it with this as it does all that the 857 does, plus more!

Still very keen!!

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to G8XYJ:

Like all such toys, let the trailblazers buy v1 and its software and when the serious issues and general gubbiness of the system have been fixed and v2 is on sale then buy one!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
I thaink Andys got it right. I will see how thing go with the radio before buying one.

73 de M0MDA

In reply to M0MDA:
…Might be a bit too big for SOTA…

At the beginning of my SOTA Activities this year I used an IC-7000 with a 12Ah SLAB.

The main topic is the power consumption and the IC-7100 shows the same ratings.
RX 1.5 A, TX up to 22A (I measured abt. 10A at 20W and abt. 12A at 40W with 13.1V)

Once I forgot to check the RF-power and ran with 40W cw. After 30 mins the IC-7000 switched off during TX. Measurement at home showed, that it stops working, when the open circuit voltage reached 11.8V, which means 10.4V while transmitting!

73 Chris, OE3CHC

In reply to OE3CHC:

In reply to M0MDA:
…Might be a bit too big for SOTA…

At the beginning of my SOTA Activities this year I used an IC-7000 with a 12Ah SLAB

Greetings Chris,

I have yet to do an activation, but I’m planning on using a Kenwood TS-120S. The specs are similar to that IC-7000, the manual states 20A on transmit, full power. I was wondering if it would work or not before I read your post!

I know this probably sounds dumb, but how do I go about finding out how much amperage it draws on transmit?

Thanks and 73,
Matt
KB1CRQ

In reply to KB1CRQ:

Hello Matt!

To measure the current you’ll need either a DC-Ampere-Meter for at least 20A, a good Multimeter with an high-DC-current-option or a power-supply with integrated Amperemeter.
Transmitt in cw-mode - if you don’t have a key, take only the reqired plug and shorten it.

Hope that helps, GL es 73 de Chris

In reply to G1INK:
Hi Steve,
This looks like a repackaged IC-7000. Weighs in at about 3Kgs so rather heavy, and power hungry for SOTA. A number of improvements, touch screen, usb remote etc. Pre-release specs are similar to the 7000, but no imd figures published. Imd figures for the ic-7000 are not brilliant, so they may have improved them. A nice mobile rig, I think.
Frank

In reply to OE3CHC:

Chris,
Okay, thank you very much. I will have to find out soon as I’m itching to do an activation, and around here doing it with VHF would be tough to near impossible. I have an easily portable, coax fed, home-brew wire dipole for 15 and 20M that I put up as an inverted V, it seems to work very well.

Matt KB1CRQ

In reply to KB1CRQ:

Chris,
Okay, thank you very much. I will have to find out soon as I’m itching
to do an activation, and around here doing it with VHF would be tough
to near impossible. I have an easily portable, coax fed, home-brew
wire dipole for 15 and 20M that I put up as an inverted V, it seems to
work very well.

Hi Matt

Speaking from personal experience, the 15m band will give you the best days radio you
will ever experience on a SOTA activation, or it will leave you tearing your hair out trying to find four contacts.

Good luck with your first activation.

73 Mike
2E0YYY