New RBNGate Feature - Extended Spotting Windows

RBNGate now has a new feature that allows activators to specify custom spotting windows. To explain how it works and provide some examples of when you may wish to use it, I’ve added these two new questions & answers to the RBNGate FAQ that is linked to from the top of my website:

Q: Can I extend the spotting window?

A: Yes. The standard spotting window begins 1 hour before your alert’s ETA and ends 3 hours after it. You can override these start and end times by including a S+n and/or S-n code in the comment for your Sotawatch alert, where n is the number of hours the spotting windows extends from your alert’s ETA. For example, S+12 causes the spotting window to extend to 12 hours after your alert’s ETA, and S-6 would cause the spotting window to begin 6 hours before it. The codes are case insensitive, you can choose to include either or both codes anywhere in your comment, and they need not be the only text in the comment. For example, this comment will work fine: “Camping on the summit. S-12 Should be fun! s+18”.

Q: I’m doing a backpack trip this weekend in an area with no cell phone coverage. I’d like to activate some summits during the trip but don’t know which ones they will be, or when I’ll be on the air. Can RBNGate spot me throughout my trip?

A: Yes. Since you don’t know which summits you will be activating, enter a Sotawatch alert and specify the summit using question marks such as “W6/NS-???” or “G/??-???”. Enter an ETA that is near the beginning of your trip, then extend the spotting window by including a code such as “S+48” in the comment of your alert (this code extends the spotting window to 48 hours after your alert’s ETA). RBNGate will now spot you on your ‘to be determined’ summit (W6/NS-??? or whatever you entered) whenever it hears you calling CQ during the trip. The chasers will know that they have to get the actual summit from you over the air. You could also choose to use the midpoint of your trip as the alert’s ETA, then extend both the beginning and end of the spotting window with a comment such as “Backpacking all weekend in the Sierra. S-24 S+24”.

Please let me know if the information above isn’t sufficiently clear.

Eric KU6J

===========================================
Free SOTA Spot Monitor Software + RBNGate FAQ:
http://www.ku6j.com

1 Like

In reply to KU6J:

Thanks Eric, all sounds clear to me.
Pete

Hi Eric,

thank you for this new feature.
I should have used it yesterday: I reached my second summit only after the standard spotting window had closed. This was the moment when I was reminded of the pre-RBNGate times.
Thank you for your big contribution to SOTA!

Andy DK7MG

Thanks Pete!

In reply to DK7MG:

Andy, another option that you have in that type of situation is to spot yourself while on or en route to the summit. This will create a new alert inside RBNGate and the spotting window will extend to 3 hours after the spot is received.

Eric KU6J

In reply to KU6J:

Hi Eric, there will be your program for Mac OS?

Regards Joerg
DG0JMB

In reply to DG0JMB:

Sorry Joerg, no support for the Mac OS is planned. However, I believe you can use Boot Camp to run MS Windows on a Mac:

I have a Mac Pro on which I run Final Cut Pro for video editing, but I haven’t verified that this will work.

Eric KU6J