New Mountain Goat

Just to let you all know that as of today, I am a Mountain Goat.

Jimmy M3EYP


Congratulations Jimmy was good to work you for a S2S.

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to M3EYP:

Many congratulations, Jimmy! Thanks for the QSO today; very pleased to get a S2S as part of your final Goat activation.

Here’s to the next 1000.


In reply to M3EYP:




In reply to M3EYP:


Peter G1FOA

Fantastic - Well done Jimmy and congratulations!

Nick G4OOE

In reply to G1FOA:

Very well done, Jimmy. Congratulations!

Karen & Neil

Thank you to all of you for your congratulations.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

Well done Jimmy, very well deserved. What’s the next challenge? You can’t be far off G completion!

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

Congratulations on reaching your first 1000 milestone Jimmy


Super day. And a very long day. It all started on Saturday 10th March 2012, at 0458z when I awoke 17 minutes before my alarm was due to go off. After the exertions of a particularly intense staff football match the previous evening, the flesh was weak - but at least the spirit was willing.

Jimmy and I made good time preparing soup and rucksacks etc and loading into the car, so I got Liam up at 0530z, 30 minutes ahead of schedule. A small grumble was endured, but even Liam made good time and the three of us were on the road by 0550z.

BBC Radio 2 would be the main in-car entertainment of the day, and it was Anneka Rice in the presenter’s chair at this early hour. The former Treasure Hunt helicopter girl kept us company down the M6 and M54 as far as Telford Services, where the “Cumberland Grill” breakfasts were taken. By this stage I had also realised that I had failed to bring any sort of jumper or fleece whatsoever for myself. A staff member at the services directed me to a 24 hour Tesco Extra a couple of junctions further along the M54, where I was able to buy a generously sized 3XL fleece of seemingly excellent quality - for just £6. A real bargain. Back in the car it was now one of my favourites on BBC Radio 2 - Sounds of the 60s with Brian Matthew.

The first summit was Brown Clee Hill G/WB-002, and Jimmy and I finally decided to walk up the transmitter access road, rather than the Shropshire Way footpath route. I was soon regretting this choice of endlessly steep slog as I watched Jimmy and Liam both disappear away in front of me! (Yes, Liam does that to me as well these days).

I knew that this would be easily the longest walk of the day, but I had forgotten what was involved. The years had categorised it into the “easy 2 pointer” box in my mind. And it is, relatively, but not without a bit of effort required. I found Jimmy near the summit halfway through his 2m beam set-up, and Liam settling down to play on his 3DS and spend his 10 new Playcoins.

I also set up on the grassy area close to the summit topograph, and erected the 40m dipole. Both of us recorded easy activations to cross off those first five activator points of the day. Jimmy made 8 QSOs on 2m FM in 15 minutes, including two S2S. I managed 20 QSOs during a ten minute operating spell on 40m CW.

A group of hikers arrived as we finished, and began the inevitable querying as to what on earth we were doing. Liam set off on his descent as Jimmy and I fielded the questions, and completed our packaways.

Of course, the early set off for Liam’s descent is no longer really necessary, for it just means he is first back at the car. Slower pace from him is no longer a time-management concern!

Jimmy now directed me through the village of Clee Hill and along the road to the big car park beneath Titterstone Clee Hill G/WB-004. This drive seemed to take an eternity, but eventually we were parking up and donning coats and packs. In contrast to the earlier Brown Clee Hill G/WB-002, this one was much quicker and easier than I had remembered it, really a quite trivial hill.

Liam took his place in the stone shelter at the summit, while Jimmy and I chose nearby plots of grass for our respective stations. This time it was 9 QSOs during 11 minutes on 2m FM for Jimmy, and this included 3 S2S. I made a nice round 20 QSOs again in a 12 minute spell on 40m CW.

That was the order of the day. Once we had cleared our pile-ups and made ample contacts, and we had empty frequencies, we didn’t keep calling CQ. We packed up, and got cracking to the next summit! Back at the car, we enjoyed a Double Decker bar each before resuming the driving.

And the next summit was Long Mynd-Pole Bank G/WB-005. So far, we were keeping things within a rough timeframe that would allow us to complete a five summit day, and that would mean Mountain Goat status for Jimmy M3EYP. He stated that he didn’t want champagne on his MG activation - but would like a bottle of real ale! So in Craven Arms, we called in at the supermarket and bought two bottles of Wainwright Ale, just in case the celebrations would be taking place today.

Jimmy then took me onto the road towards Bishops Castle, and then onto minor roads that climbed onto the Long Mynd. Is there not a single road onto this thing that isn’t terrifying? I really did not enjoy that drive, but then Liam, who had an “excellent” view of the sheer drop lurking just outside his passenger seat door, enjoyed it even less!

We parked in a small lay-by opposite our chosen path up to the summit, the one we believe is the shortest distance and least height gain of any route between the surrounding roads and the trig point. Jimmy found himself fielding questions from passing walkers again, but they left me alone to set up.

Jimmy did 28 minutes on 2m FM, recording 14 QSOs including 3 S2S. My log documented just 9 minutes’ operating on 40m CW, but crammed into that were 19 contacts. In the difference of operating times, I issued two servings each of hot lentil & bacon soup to the expedition team members for lunch. Liam and I were back at the car well before Jimmy on this one. Jimmy did report that his frequency started to get really busy around the same time that I started to pack away my station.

There now followed a short drive down to Bridges, not without more “excitement” of more “death plunges” lurking at the side of the narrow lane. Even so, this was now the least scary of the three roads that lead onto the top of the Mynd. From Bridges, it was only a few minutes driving to the Stiperstones NNR car park ready for our ascent of G/WB-003.

This hill was very busy, with walkers all over every part of it. Jimmy set up right under the trig point, utilising the body of rock on which it perches, as effective shelter from the light wind. Liam also grabbed a spot close by, while I set up a little further along.

Jimmy’s 11 minutes of operating brought 4 QSOs. 12 minutes on 40m CW delivered 19 QSOs for me. And back down we went. Back at the car just after 4pm, we had made it and left enough time to do the 5th activation of the day - and make Jimmy a Mountain Goat! So we consumed our Mars Bars to hopefully deposit some energy to see us through.

So, to Corndon Hill GW/MW-013 it was. We progressed beyond the standard steep direct route up by the fence, and instead continued along the track until we reached the further footpath up to the summit, over more graded terrain. Nonetheless, it was still quite a pull at this end of a long day for three tired lads. But as ever, I couldn’t fail to be impressed by Jimmy’s drive and focus, and Liam’s strength and stamina.

Corndon Hill still feels “weird” without the forested area that cloaked half of the hill. And it still feels draughty, without the forested area that cloaked half of the hill! When I reached the summit, Jimmy and Liam had snagged the bench for their activities. So I set up so I could sit on the ground in front of them - using the bench itself and my two teenage sons as an impenetratable wind shelter!

I made 26 contacts during a 17 minute spell on 40m CW. A contest was now in full swing, and there was an absence of available frequencies. I simply chose one between two quiet DX stations, figuring that my 5 watts wouldn’t trouble them, and self-spotted. But all this was merely a sideshow to the main event - Jimmy’s Mountain Goat. This was achieved with 10 QSOs in a suprisingly quiet 29 minutes of operating, with Viki MW6BWA/P providing the all-important 4th with a S2S from GW/MW-010.

It was time to pack away, and unleash the bottles of Wainwright Ale. Liam took over as the team photographer as Jimmy and I celebrated with this superb ale, but soon Liam was itching to commence his customary, but now unnecessary early descent. Jimmy and I descended with walking pole in one hand and bottle of ale in the other for what proved to be an incredibly enjoyable experience.

Considering that Shropshire borders Cheshire, the Shropshire Hills are a hell of a long way from Macclesfield, and the journey home was tiring, even though on analysis, we made very good time. We arrived home at 2130z, armed with two bags of take-away from the Weston Balti Raj for our family celebration of Jimmy’s achievement. Marianne was particularly pleased that Jimmy has achieved this long term ambition.

So, a big day out to get there. The pedometer on Liam’s 3DS reported over 13,000 steps during the day. We were out of the house for over 15 and a half hours. We activated five 2(+3) point SOTA summits and collected 25 points each. The day brought a total of 45 QSOs on 2m FM for Jimmy, and 104 on 40m CW for me.

I think back to that day in September 2002 when, as a newcomer to AR, I worked Shirley MW3GTE/P (later MW0YLS, Mountain Goat and immensely popular character in SOTA) on 2m FM. She was activating Gyrn Moelfre GW/NW-049, and coaxed me into hiking up Shining Tor G/SP-004, which I was parked beneath at the time. Jimmy (9) and Liam (5) accompanied me on that first ascent, as they did on all five today.

After around two years of SOTA participation, with Jimmy almost ever-present, he told me he wanted his own licence so he could fully participate. He gained the Foundation licence in October 2005, and debuted on a double day out on Tal y Fan GW/NW-040 and Great Orme GW/NW-070. My dad even rode out to the Great Orme on his motorbike that day just so he could watch his grandson Jimmy activating on amateur radio. He was already very ill and passed away around three weeks later. It was his last ride.

The following year, Jimmy and I walked the full-length Pennine Way, activating 8 SOTA summits along its route and 3 more in the borders region after completion. Jimmy raised over ÂŁ1400 for a local childrens charity through doing so. I always thought that the opportunities afforded by AR in general, and SOTA in particular, including the social element, were very powerful for Jimmy, and in my mind definitely contributed to the dramatic progress he made at school between the ages of 12 and 18 and delivering outstanding SATs, GCSE and A level results.

And now with an A* and an A safely secured at A level, Jimmy’s attention has returned to AR study, and the Intermediate licence which hopefully shouldn’t be too far in the future now. In the meantime, he has his Mountain Goat status, and 276 Activator uniques to his name, giving him a standing of 6th nationally in terms of uniques.

So there you go. I have unashamedly concluded this activation report with a tribute to my son Jimmy. He has this “interesting” habit of achieving whatever he sets out to achieve, and is quite an inspiration! Mountain Goat today, but that is far from being the end of the story. He is driven to collect the last ten activator uniques he needs to complete England (G), and also has a completist’s eye on GW, GD and even GI. And whenever he does become a 2E0, he is not planning on settling for that licence level for very long!

Thanks for all the support and enthusiasm, and thanks for reading.


In reply to M3EYP:

Well done Jimmy, great achievment.

73 Mike

In reply to M3EYP:

Well done Jimmy!
Many congratulations for your success.

I suspect you are the youngest Mountain-Goat ever (1st YMG)?
You have to ask your dad about this, he is the one for the statistisc :wink:

I hope my knee is soon better and we can try a nice s2s.

Good luck and fun with SOTA.

Vy73 de Fritz DL4FDM, HB9CSA

In reply to MW6BDV:

Congratulations Jimmy on obtaining Mountain goat :o)


Very well done Jimmy!

Best wishes


In reply to M3EYP:
Congratulations Jimmy, a great achievement especially as it must be nearly all VHF.
I have experienced your determination to get the four contacts on VHF FM in a what is almost a VHF desert (our last Cairngorms trip) so I know how much effort has been put into getting to MG.

Now the advance in your licence status and the attack by the EYP’s on Eu!!


Barry GM4TOE

In reply to M3EYP:
Many congratulations Jimmy,Thanks for contact on Your MG activation
73`s Bob G6ODU

In reply to M3EYP:
Very well done Jimmy.

Now on to the next goal and I hope to work you as M0EYP one day! (on CW even??!!)

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to M3EYP:

Congratulations Jimmy, well done. I hope to work you on HF one day.
Good luck for the next 2000.

Petr OK1CZ

In reply to M3EYP:
Congratulations Jimmy on achieving MG. I am very impressed that you managed to complete as well as working hard for your A Levels. I was very pleased to work you on your final summit. well done.
73, Frank