New Mountain Goat : G0EWN Gordon

Many Congratulations Gordon .Glad to have made contact on todays summit.
73`s Bob G6ODU

In reply to G6ODU:

Well done indeed Gordon (and Jenni)! Good to catch you occasionally on your journey.

Now you have to do it on 10GHz.

Richard
G3CWI

Many congratulations and well done Gordon. We rarely meet on air, but I have been keeping note of your rise up the points table.

Oh, and ignore Richard. 10GHz is by no means mandatory post-Goatdom. :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:
Well done Gordon…also pleased to have helped a little on the way.
73 David EI/G6LKB (1/4 Goat)

In reply to G6ODU:
Hi Bob, Richard,Gerald, David,

thanks all for your congratulations.It has been a great few years since our first tentative effort.Though it was never our original intention, we have managed to stick with our original format—all activations have been VHF–2m, low power (less than 5w–probably 99% at 2.5w) and all unique summits. One of the great joys has been visiting new areas—there are some truly amazing parts of Britain—easily missed if you don’t have a reason to visit. Jenni and I really should thank all the SOTA team—the concept and the execution of the site are superb.We have had so many magic moments; it truly is the journey,rather than arriving,that has given us so much. Now to make those entries which will hopefully show the 1000 point mark has been exceeded,

Best wishes all, Gordon (and Jenni–Sheffield).

In reply to G0EWN:

Well done Gordon (and Jenni), it was very nice to work you on G/NP-012 yesterday & was much easier once you found a gap in the hills to squeeze the RF through Hi!

Here’s to the next 1000!

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

Congratulations Gordon, thanks for the contacts mostly when we’ve also been on
the hills.

In reply to G0EWN:

Though it was never our original
intention, we have managed to stick with our original format—all
activations have been VHF–2m, low power (less than 5w–probably 99%
at 2.5w) and all unique summits.
That’s impressive. I started off with all uniques, but succumbed to the
temptation of winter bonus by repeating some, but still prefer uniques.
I’ve also had to venture onto HF from some of the lower more remote summits.

Caroline M3ZCB (3/4 goat)

In reply to M3ZCB:

Congratulations Gordon. Getting goated is always an achievement, doing it with uniques and VHF QRP only is more so.

So let’s ask the database about you…

So you are the 78th goat worldwide. But you are only the 4th person worldwide to achieve goatdom with 100% unique status. Apparently you have climbed 224 summits totaling 127553m (418467ft in old money) to achieve goatdom.

I didn’t realise there were no so many goats out there. I’m most envious of your 100% uniqiue status. I succumbed early on to repeats and have to admit to enjoying do some summits again. I keep repeating Culter Fell in the hope of getting a view from the top and so far I have failed 4 times!

Anyway, here’s to the next 1000 points.

Andy, MM0FMF
83% goat

Well done Gordon, an excellent achievement and done the difficult way! Welcome to life after Goatdom, it does give you a whole new way of looking at things. Well it did me anyway!

Keep having fun on the hills

73 de Paul G4MD (Old Goat)

In reply to G6ODU:
Congratulations and a very well done from me aswell.
What an achievement.

In reply to G6ODU:

Congratulations to Gordon from me too. I started trying uniques only but there are just too many hills in the Black Mountains and Brecon Beacons that are worth going up again.
Best wishes for the next 1000; surely you can’t keep up the uniques only for that too.
Rod

In reply to G0EWN:

Though it was never our original intention, we have managed to stick with our original format—all activations have been VHF

A truly worthy prize then Gordon and achieved with just 224 unique summits. It took me 305 unique summits to reach Goat. I too set my personal sights on qualifying the summits on VHF (144MHz and up), but from the start realised that some summits would need a bit more power to get them sorted, for example 150W was used from Craig y Castell GW/NW-074. :wink:

visiting new areas—there are some truly amazing parts of Britain—easily missed if you don’t have a reason to visit.

Paul and I experienced precisely that! I wholly agree that the journey is more important than passing “the post” and I’m sure that you will journey on looking for furtherance of your personal goals. All the best to you and Jenni for the future.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Oh, and ignore Richard. 10GHz is by no means mandatory post-Goatdom. :slight_smile:

So says the man who never adds additional constraints and conditions to the General Rules for his own activating… :wink:

Congratulations Gordon. Seems a while since I met you on Gun G/SP-013. You’ve done a fair bit since then!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Congratulations Gordon,I know we have never met but had a few contacts in the past hope to get there one day myself.

Terry G0VWP

In reply to G0VWP:
Thanks Mark, Caroline, Andy, Paul, Rod, Tom, Gerald, Terry, All—the temptation to resort to the HF/ other bands was quite high, especially above 800 points mark. It seems to get exponentially more difficult given the combination of low power, single band and uniques. We were hoping that it might be a first–ie all uniques, all qrp and all single VHF band, 2m. Have any other Mountain Goats been achieved with just 2m and uniques?

We hope to continue with visiting uniques–we already have a list–quite a few in the Welsh Borders and also the Tarrens but are considering using other bands—as Caroline and Gerald have pointed out–getting contacts from relatively low summits with low power at VHF can be very difficult, especially those surrounded by higher hills—Kisdon in the Northern Pennines is a typical example. This is the only summit we have not activated in in NP group.

One surprise has been just how many summits it has been possible to successfully activate on vhf with just 2.5w. Our recent trip to Bristol/ Devon and Cornwall saw all summits attempted yeilding although a couple did take a couple of hours to get the minimum number of contacts (18 1 pointers from memory). We had thought we might succeed with perhaps half but to get them all was a very pleasant surprise.

Best wishes for now–hope to speak with you all on the bands sometime this year,
Best wishes and 73s, 11’s Gordon

In reply to G0EWN:

Have any other Mountain Goats been achieved with just 2m and uniques?

Only yourself and Gerald G4OIG spring to mind but there may some from the European mainland I’m not aware of. It’s an interesting question to ask as you can’t get the answer directly from the database. Or I should the database and its web interface. The filters will let you select a variety of conditions that match i.e. all activations that feature a contact on 144MHz but you cannot select all activations that feature 4 contacts on 144MHz and no other frequencies.

I’ll have a bash at answering that for you when I get a moment.

Andy
MM0FMF