New member Intro

Hi. For activations that require a long walk, I use the SW-3B (7-10-14mhz) and QCXmini (18mhz). I’m happy with the SW3B but … it has two points that I don’t like. 1- If you operate on a highly populated summit where hikers are using smartphones or action cameras, or if you have your smartphone turned on , the noise generated by these devices is terrible. The second point (and this is VERY personal) is that the keyer speed control is a pain, for this reason I use (when I don’t forget it) an external memory keyer. With the QCXmini I do not have any of these issues but it is only single band. If you don’t feel like building a QCX, you can buy the assembled version.
73 and good luck!

3 Likes

Thanks Bob. Hope you are doing well my friend.
I ordered a Venus SW-3B and a QRP Labs 50 w amp kit. I already had an end fed wire , a small auto tuner, lithium battery and a solar panel.
As of now I plan on W4G/HC-010, Burnt Mountain - 1003m, 8 points being my first activation attempt. Mostly 40M CW with some 30m and 20m.

I have to admit though I am having a terrible time chasing. I keep the SOTAwatch3 up all day but almost never hear anyone. I assume that most activators are operating at very low power outputs due to having to hike to the summits in most cases.

1 Like

Hope you enjoy some SOTA chasing its a great pass time, you a doing the right thing by checking SW3 often, it’s my first job with morning coffee when I hit the shack chair. Check the real time activations going on then Alerts in case some are pending. You never know who you might be able to work, and the Activators will love to hear from you to boost their scores.
Regards
Ian vk5cz …

2 Likes