New Intruder on 14062 +/-

Dear John, are you absolutely sure of your statement? I think the STANAG protocol is more of a NATO technology when it comes to military applications.
Vlad
RX9WT

1 Like

Not at all! Thanks for the link. It is, however, consistent with both VK & EU beam headings. Do you copy these intruders at your QTH? If so, at what heading?
DSW
John

2 Likes

Dear John, thanks for the info. On the day when I had QSO with ZL1TM from the summit, I heard this interference with the S9 level in the South Urals. Since I had an OMNI antenna, I could not determine the direction, of course. I would like to share some more information. I am professionally engaged in radio communication. And I have repeatedly met with Russian civil organizations HF radio communication systems using STANAG modems. There are especially many of these in the North and East of Russia. But I never met such equipment in Russian military. It seems to me that in this case someone is simply using this equipment without the necessary licenses, privately. This is definitely a serious violation! And it requires an investigation…
73!
Vlad

4 Likes

Fortunately for SOTA, the 14062 one has gone elsewhere. That still leaves 14098, causing QRM to the NCDXF beacons, which I use a lot :frowning:

I’m going to see if I can get the German Federal Monitoring Station to pinpoint it. They have shown good cooperation with Intruder Watch in the past.

DSW
John

1 Like

… currently the intruder is not audible here in DL. But after a quick search with some Kiwi-SDRs (http://rx.linkfanel.net/) found the signal in an area of BY, BV, VR, HL, JA, DU.
NIL in UA9/0 and VU, though.

It’s not in the IARU R1 newsletters for March and April 2021.

73, gl, Roman

Hi! I can’t hear this QRM on the new frequency. I will listen again. My "home"antennas are switched in azimuth.
Vlad

Now this qrm is at the specified frequency! Direction - east. Level - weak, QSB.
Vlad

They’re back! We’ve enjoyed a few weeks free of the data signals on 14062 & 14098, but they are back with a vengeance this morning.

1 Like

Best part of a year down the line, something similar’s been popping up at around 14058 kHz. Bearing something between 030 and 060 (very approximately) and well over S9 here. It was absent this morning, but caused me some trouble yesterday afternoon, and is making 14058-14062 kHz pretty much useless for SOTA chasing at the moment. Here are a couple of waterfall screenshots from yesterday:
20220515_204355

This one has something else going on as well…
20220515_204628

Irritating, but if it’s military then presumably they’ll go somewhere else sooner or later. Sooner, hopefully… :confused:

2 Likes

I picked that up in France a few days ago during an activation but I don’t think it was as strong as your screen shot shows. :frowning:

I’ve turned my hexbeam through 360 degrees, and that was the strongest direction, but even at its weakest it’s being a bit of a nuisance. I think that the clear lines are when the signal’s essentialy in idle mode. Earlier today it was rather messier (and possibly also stronger) for a while, before dropping back to the clear lines state. I’ve also just noticed that the “RFG” indicates I have the RF gain turned down. I should check where the pre-amp is set…

1 Like

I occasionally hear what sounds like STANAG transmissions in the amateur bands and even in shortwave broadcast bands which pop up and disappear from time to time. If it is western military, it’s a bit annoying. No doubt they can use any frequencies they like but since they have so much of the radio spectrum for their exclusive use [according to the OfCom FAT], one wonders why they feel the need to wander our way.

1 Like

A skim through Military - Signal Identification Wiki suggests it’s of Russian origin, possibly CIS-20 - Signal Identification Wiki. The “somewhere between 030 and 060” bearing (which is about as precise as I can manage with the hexbeam) would match.

That said, while the same frequency band is similarly occupied this evening, there seem to be fewer but broader bands within the signal (12 rather than 20, which suggests it’s using CIS-12 - Signal Identification Wiki at the moment).

It’s making chasing some of the NA activators on 20 metres a mite tricky at present, as even pointing 90 degrees off it’s still loud. :frowning:

2 Likes

Right now, the intruder is very strong in Novosibirsk:

grafik

Good signal in Sapporo as well:

grafik

73, Roman

3 Likes