New Guide Book

I’ve just taken delivery of an early birthday present.

It has details of almost every hill in NE Scotland. Pretty much from the Angus ones all the way up the east side of the A9 to Inverness and across Moray, Banff-shire and Aberdeenshire. It is beautifully illustrated. From a SOTA point of view, that’s almost every GM/ES summit and also a chunk of GM/CS.

Not cheap, but worth it. Would have made life easier if I’d had it before embarking in my GM/ES Compleation (sic) mission.

15 Likes

Happy Birthday Fraser, whenever it is :wink::birthday:

1 Like

Cheers Simon.
I share my birthday with SOTA. :grin:

1 Like

I think I must have the somewhat older version, with bw pictures of mountaineering types in tweed. It was printed in 1986 but looking at the information was updated in 1975. Still most of the mountains are the same although access arrangements have improved since then!

Actually it is time I stopped looking at the pictures and got up some of the (easier) hills in Cairngorms again!|

PS I think the older one had a better cover picture!

1 Like

Ive got a feeling that is the preceeding edition. It was long overdue an update.

1 Like

My SMC guides were bought in the 1970’s but the hills don’t change. Great books for guidance or just to dip into to revive memories!

3 Likes

I had my eye on The Munros (also from SMC) for while but had not yet bought it.

The images and layout in this book look fantastic and without doubt will be a joy to read.

The problem is, if I buy them, I’ll have to visit. Eek. :grimacing:

Any other book recommendations that could aid activating SOTA in Scotland?

1 Like

I was just looking at my 1986 Munros guide, which was well used BC (Before Children…). It has quite a few ticks (Memory is a funny thing - I thought I was around 100, but it seems it was nearer 70) and dates in it of when they were climbed, but I’m afraid to say only a single one (GM/SI-003) climbed since I started SOTA. I found it excellent - and it is quite good for memories too…

2 Likes

“100 Best Routes on Scottish Mountains” by Ralph Storer (Warner books in paperback) is a great selection from the treasures of the Highlands.

3 Likes

Correct. However, access, parking, routes, purpose built paths, afforestation, deforestation, wind farms, new hydros and even new roads and railways make your 1974 books best enjoyed as historical items.

1 Like

I have the 1999 edition. I’ve done about 190 Munros then I got married and had kids. Maybe I’ll finish them one day, all as SOTA activations of course.

4 Likes

Apart from the dozens of Munros that aren’t SOTA summits, ie not Marilyns.

1 Like

Good point! Are all Corbetts SOTA summits since they have a 500’=~150m prominence?

Yes, IIRC just about every other list of hills uses 150m of prominence.

SMC Munro book is the best of the Munro lot in my opinion. But walkhighlands website is brilliant and superseded this for ideas.

The Ken Wilson books, all thought covering the UK are timeless and superb; wild walks, classic walks, big walks. Timeless routes IMHO.

3 Likes

I’ve just put an update on the summit page for Trahenna Hill GM/SS-143. There is considerable new forest planting taking place over an extensive area. Fine that’s no problem and there will be firebreaks to make your way through. The bigly issue is the extensive new deer fence that has been erected and that there are poles in place without fencing wires yet for lots more new fencing. Yes there are stiles and gates and none I saw are dog friendly.

It’s why old maps and guide books do go out of date.

2 Likes

So do old mountaineers!

2 Likes

Ordered a copy to help planning for a week activating in the region at the end of April, thanks for the tip!

1 Like

It should be realised that by the time that they are distributed guidebooks are already out of date. The process of gathering information can take a long time, writing and editing the book takes more time, then the printing and distribution adds to this. Meanwhile the changes to the countryside continue. The shape of the summit rarely changes, the eye of experience will see the likely best ascent routes, but the countryside is in a constant state of flux. A guidebook does just what the title says, it offers guidance - but not certainty. This is why the SOTA summit pages are so important, they give the most up-to-date information, but that information is still subject to change. It is important that updates like the one made by Andy yesterday should be made whenever an activator finds a change on the ground.

1 Like

I also find it useful to read reports on the various hill walking sites too as it’s not just us SOTA lot that go up 'em.

2 Likes