New 122GHz distance record

Saw this in my Instagram feed: https://ghz-europe.com/122ghz-new-world-record-139-km/
Both ends of the contact were SOTA peaks: W6/NC-151 Mt Vaca and W6/CC-052 Mt Umunhum.

Makes me want to get on some of the higher microwave bands!

1 Like

There will be 122GHz SOTA activations soon.

2 Likes

…are you planning that for after you get FT8 running?

I saved time and bought one of the VK3CV units ready built and a few of my local McMicrowavers punted as well. First rule of radio when using odd-ball modes/frequencies, arrange your own QSO partners!

1 Like

Time to dig out the LASERs and go THz.

My understanding is that non-coherent light (e.g. LEDs) are better for atmospheric paths. Something about the scintillation (fading) being less deep.
http://www.modulatedlight.org/optical_comms/optical_index.html

Thanks for that – last time I read anything about THz stuff was probably 15 yrs ago, when it seems most of the experimentation was done with LASERs.

You should have a look at some of the optical comms work that Stuart G8CYW has done with LEDS etc.

I have ordered a few of these for 122Ghz and I want to hear from any other SOTA folks in W1/W2 who might be interested in playing around when they finally come in.

Tom, N2YTF

I have seen Stuart G8CYW’s equipment. He held the distance record for a few weeks about 5 years ago. He found that the laser light beam was too narrow and the scintillation caused frequent loss of signal, like deep QSB. He used a power IR laser with 6" dia. lens for Tx AND Rx whilst reverse basing the diode close to breakdown (about 40V) when magic happened. So collimation (Is that the right word for reciprocal, identical paths?) of Tx and RX was achieved easing the alignment issues.
There are some Australian papers on this subject.

Regards
David G0EVV

I think the VK guys were the ones doing “cloud-bounce” comms for non-LOS paths using some QRO boxes of LEDs :slight_smile:

122GHz kits still being held back by delays after the Chinese factory was closed for corona-virus issues and Lunar New Year vacations.