Mynydd -Y-Cwm GW/NW-076 15//4/22 First Complete!

After my success on the Orme, the previous evening and being based in Towyn for a few days, i decided to have a crack at Mynydd - y - Cwm (Cwm mountain). only a single point, BUT it would be my first “complete”!

The instructions for the ascent are helpfully published on the summit page, on the SOTA website, and its a fairly easy summit to have a go at! HOWEVER the forestry people are currently cutting the trees up there, and alot of the landmarks have gone so be careful with the instructions!

Another lightening setup, and a spot off the app, i gave it a couple of minutes and started calling CQ.

first up was 2E0OTG - Steve in Chorley, then rapidly followed by 2E0LKC - Mark in Heald Green a couple more quick calls off G5VHF - Dave on the Wirral, and then 2E0LMD - Anne in Heald Green saw the activation complete!

i then got a text message off 2E0DIJ - Duane in prestwich “i can hear you on S20 but cant hear you on .325, any chance of going to .575?” so i did, got him his chase points and another one on the log for me! another call on .500 produced 2 more M7ATV - John in Barrow in Furness, and then M6DFU in blackpool! job done, it was rapidly going dark by this point, so I packed up and headed down. taking a few nice pictures on the way!

Uploading: 20220415_195008.jpg…

Uploading: 20220415_195042.jpg…

As usual, thanks to all chasers we cant do it without you!

Cheers 2E0JWA

7 Likes

‘Cwm Mountain’. But from my recollection of inexplicably long-lifed Welsh daytime tv soap operas ‘y cwm’ means ‘of the valley’. So does that not make it ‘Mount of the valley’?.

Thanks for the report & glad to hear you got your 1st complete.

1 Like

Below Mynydd y Cwm lies the village of Cwm. Hence the mountain/hill associated with the village of Cwm. Where I’ve heard that my old haunt (when I was young) The Blue Lion Inn (16th century) is back open again.

2 Likes

Wow they really levelled those trees since I was there last month !

1 Like

yea, they have pretty much cleared all 1 side of the hill! still it will get re-planted, and in 20 years be the same again!

Cheers 2E0JWA

1 Like

Love the photo of the log stack in late afternoon! Looks like the highly addictive SOTA has drawn in another dependent!

that was the moon, it was nearly dark by the time i took that!

It is, however a rather nice picture!

cheers 2E0JWA

that was the moon, it was nearly dark by the time i took that! and yes, it is somewhat addictive, i just need to work on my fitness some more now so i can get to some of the more difficult summits! my plan is Kinder scout by the end of summer… :slight_smile:

It is, however a rather nice picture!

cheers 2E0JWA

1 Like