My SOTA plans for 2024 (and yours....)

I enjoyed a huge variety of SOTA activities in 2023.
Activations by motorcycle, on islands, a first activation, all types of weather, fantastic views and good chats with new friends.
For 2024 I would like to do more of the same, I’m planning another trip to Sutherland for more GM/NS summits and an island visit as well.
I’m also making plans for small portable yagi’s for 2m and 70cm.
Saying that, I do need to lighten my pack so I’m going to have to be more selective about what goes in it !
Andy
MM7MOX

4 Likes

New year’s rollover time again: roll over my goals from last year again!

ZL3/OT-001 - Finally have someone more experienced to go up this one with me so might actually happen
ZL3/TM-001 - 3 day walk minimum
ZL3/MB-001 - simple peak but long way from home

MG#2 (all uniques) - currently on 1665
Complete Central Otago District (59/71 done)

Maybe this year?

2 Likes

Achieve MG by May. Doable, but life has a tendency to get in the way.
And maybe do a few more new summits.

Chris

5 Likes

Oh, I will definitely be doing a Royal Flush in 2024. Thank you @ZL4NVW Matt :grin:

1 Like

Usually my SOTA year starts by first activating all winter bonus summits in the neighborhood…

Otherwise, I’m trying to get further with the HB9 Lowland Program. I’m still missing 18 summits as an activator.

I’ve always wanted to see Monet’s garden in Giverny. I can very well imagine going there in May or June via DM/SR, LX, ON, PA, FL/NO… all areas I’ve never been to.

And then it’s time for the Alps again… :sweat_smile:

73 Armin

9 Likes

Thanks for the thread Andy @MM0FMF. I have never had a SOTA QSO with a Japanese station. I would be very happy to have one in 2024. Otherwise on my todo list is the activation of the Grünten DL/AL-150. Why… is a longer story and for me personally. Maybe it will work out this year. Otherwise, the Altringenberg DL/AL-272 is still on the plan, which will no longer be valid as a SOTA reference in 2025. Unfortunately, my last activation was a bit of a fail - see Activation failure stories - #9 by DM3FAM:wink:
But no matter what 2024 brings in terms of SOTA, I’m looking forward to what’s to come and what you can experience and I’m looking forward to (hopefully) many QSOs with you all again.

Of course I wish everyone who sets themselves goals the corresponding success!

73 Marcel DM3FAM

10 Likes
  1. MG x 1.2 - It took 10 years for MG so adding another 100 points in 2024 seems a reasonable target.
  2. Qualify each summit on 10m.
  3. Release an updated VK port-a-log - it’s been 2 years since the last major revision.
  4. Activate and qualify a summit in VK3/VG region
  5. Activate and qualify a summit outside of VK3
10 Likes

Looking forward to an updste to my favourite ham radio program.

7 Likes

In 24hrs - to go one better?!

1 Like

The one I have in mind is a 30 mile/50km yomp, so probably a nice summer bivi route.

1 Like

Well @MM0FMF, top of my list is to meet up with you and do an activation when I’m in Scotland this summer :beers:

Since I have a wife, 2 kids in school, and a full time job my goal is the same every year: get outside and play radio as much as can get away with! I managed to get in 100 activations in 2023, so hopefully I can best that in 2024.

HNY to all!

7 Likes

That made me think @MM0FMF. I’m new, some some basics still to figure out for next year:
- Faff Factor reduction. try a few multi-band setups and work out whats the best faff compromise. Oh and a reliable one.
- Work out a fast and light setup, so i can do multi-day trips with the need for a new back (Ladhar Bheinn (GM/WS-046), etc ).
- Make most of (what should be?) good band conditions. Do some early morning and evenings. I fell off my karrimat when I found 10m was open to California this afternoon on 10w ssb - with decent reports!
- 2024 main ‘hill’ objective is to bring a radio and activate on the few munro’s I have left on my round.
- Enjoy & have fun.

BTW: The sota community has been most welcoming and the information on the reflector very useful.

73, Tim M7TSU

2 Likes

Though I intend to do some gentle activations in 2024, my main efforts are going into improving my chasing prospects. I, like many other people, am severely afflicted with noise. I shall be doing my best to reduce this problem. In my favour I have a long narrow garden which easily accommodates a 40m long doublet. I reason that if I can put an effective antenna as far from the houses as possible and feed it with low loss coax that will minimise noise pickup. Going further I have constructed an end-fed half square for 20m, once positioned end on to the house there will be a few dB of nulling towards the houses and a few dB gain broadside on, which will help. The next step is to replace my rig for a newer design with more effective DNR.

The other problem is a little more unusual. Years ago we bought a magnolia which purported to be dwarf, pink and scented, and planted it inside a curve of rose plants. When eventually it flowered the flowers were white, resembling magnolia denudata, and it was growing fairly rapidly so definitely not a dwarf! This last year it has put on a spurt of growth and has now enveloped part of the doublet, which now shows signs of imbalance. It is too magnificent in flower to reduce it, which would anyway only be a temporary solution, so my only choices are to either abandon the doublet and the lower HF bands, or re-route the doublet involving re-positioning the mast. I forsee a busy time once the garden becomes less waterlogged!

6 Likes

Aims for 2024

1. not fall off a mountain and require rescue services

2. perfect my HF SSB operating with the little Xiegu

3. A 4M (70Mhz band) activation - Preferably qualifying!

4. Maybe hit the dizzying heights of 30 activation points :slight_smile:

simple aims for this year, after this last year was a virtual write off!

73, Alan

6 Likes

This year’s plan is:-
Activate some summits wanted by chasers to complete a region:-
2E0MIX - 5 GW/NW
GM4COX - 8 Cowal + 7 Kintyre + 3 Loch Awe
Activate on QO-100 all Welsh grids (6) from SOTA summits

Not SOTA
Activate on QO-100 my last English grid (Scilly Isles)

I am happy to go to G/SB-001 for 13cm and 23cm.

73 de

Andrew G4VFL

2 Likes

Finish off the LD 1 pointers I didn’t manage to get this year and maybe activate outside LD

A few more group activations.

At least one 10m activation, although I’m hoping it’ll be many.

A few more 13cm activations as I barely touched the gear in 2023

1 Like

I have 1740 points after my double up UTC roll over activation NYM.
Running average of 3.83 I have 54 summits planned for 2024 plus maybe some extras I am working on access for.
It depends on how the winter season goes here this year and if access permission is granted for all the summits to get around the 54 summits.
That means I will have a cruisy few to make Old Goat x 2 in 2025 assuming my health and body holds up. Scary stuff this SOTA.
I also am keen to Chase other SOTA ops to give them a score though out the season.
Good work everyone.
Regards
Ian vk5cz

3 Likes

Nor me. In fact I would be very happy to have any QSO with Japan (and South Africa).
Finish my portable 10m moxon (things got in the way this month).
Finish activating the English hills.
Start on the Munros

5 Likes
  1. Get out to Activate as often as possible.
  2. Avoid a re-run of drowning my radio (ft817’s are not buoyant & LiPo batteries go a bit “odd” afterwards)
  3. Chase when the opportunity presents itself.
  4. Lose 10kg of “personal baggage” :wink:
  5. Have Fun

I forgot to mention before: build & operate a few home-brew antennas, theory into practice, as I study towards an Intermediate Licence.

4 Likes

Same as last year… Attempt the full license (again).
Actually go outside and get some exercise instead of sitting at home and playing computer games

5 Likes