My First Activation

On Saturday, October 5th, I did my first SOTA activation. I was accompanied by Chuck (WX4IK).

Whiterock Ridge (W4T/SU-062); Elevation: 3, 310 ft; 8 points. We hiked up 2 miles, which was rough for me since I have never done this before, but it was worth it. Took us about 2 hours to get up to the summit. The weather was sunny and 60 F.

Equipment: Wouxun KG-UV2D 2m/70cm HT; 4 element yagi beam (homebrew) for 2 meter and I used the rubber duck for 70 cm.

Log: 26 contacts on 2 meter FM and 7 contacts on 70 centimeter FM, for a total of 33 contacts.

It was an experience that I will never forget. I had a great pile up on 2 meters. Thanks for all that contacted me. Can’t wait to do it again soon !

73 Erik
WX4ET

In reply to WX4ET:
Thanks for the 2 Meter Simplex FM Contact and the SOTA Chasers Points.
Dow WA4HMX (State Sloth) W4V

In reply to WX4ET:

Erik, good news on a successful first activation. More impressive is you made so many 2m and 70cms contacts. This is an indication of how popular SOTA has become in the US. At one time not so long ago, activators in the US would dream of there being so many chasers on 2m. How things have changed.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
I was one of the summit to summit contacts that Erik made on VHF I was to his North in Kentucky, I was on W4K/EC001 Black Mtn 4,139Feet I made 15 contacts on 2 meters and 2 contacts on 6 metersit was a great day for SOTA also made summit to summit with Craig on W4V/GC004 Bowling Knob in Virginia whom made some contacts on 222 MHz.