My Favourite Lake District Summit

I went through several film SLRs, still have the last one but no film for it! My first was a Russian Zenit, built like the proverbial brick outhouse even if it was a little primitive. One belonging to a mate was dropped and fell over 60 metres down the Milestone Buttress on Tryfan. When recovered from the scree it still worked perfectly! Anyway, my habit was to take two types of photos. There were the record shots, for instance to show routes, they were rubbish but did the job. Others were taken more care over, zooming and panning until the viewfinder picture was good, then press the tit. It helped to have an appreciation of rules like the Golden Mean but you can play ducks and drakes with the rules and still get a good picture, its all in the eye, for some it is instinct, others learn it by wasting film or electrons, some will never get it. I get a LOT of pleasure looking at photos on the Reflector.

1 Like

Same here. My biggest achievement is to check the TZ-70 is in Intelligent Auto before I start taking photos, ruined quite a few with an errant mode select wheel. With regard to talent, I don’t use any methodology and maybe the trick is just to take lots of photos. I do have an idea of when something will definitely not make a good photo, and don’t bother, even if it looks good to the eye. The TZ-70 allows you to frame shots which mimic what you are focusing in on with your eye, rather than a wide-angle phone shot where the detail is lost.

RE: hard drive failures - last one I knackered was a WD bookcase drive sat on the floor next to a PC I was backing up. Managed to catch it with my foot, knocking it flat and breaking it in the process. Suffice to say I avoid standing these drives up now and put them somewhere they aren’t going to get kicked!!!

Mark.

1 Like

Great report and fantastic imagery. Yesterday was great day being out on the hills/mountains weather wise. Was meant to activate 4 summits but ended up only doing 3, taking my time enjoying the magnificent scenery in North Wales.

Thanks for the two S2S contacts.

73, Robert
M0RWX

2 Likes

Lovely photos Mark. Thanks for the contacts.
Best 73

2 Likes

Now I see what I missed. There was very little visibility when I activated these summits, so many thanks for the brilliant photos Mark.

73, Gerald

2 Likes

The tallest one might be Moel y Gamelin GW/NW-042, which would have been just beyond Liverpool from St Sunday Crag.

This is the view in the Peak Finder app from St Sunday Crag looking on a bearing of 186°. The skyline is about right but if you look online there are images showing it has a prominent cairn on the summit which seems to be just visible in your photo.

The cairn.

1 Like

That’s wonderful information, thanks John. I always expected there would be a pointy bit on the horizon called Snowdon but of course the reality is clearly much less 6-year old mentality than that!

Presumably it would be of interest to the microwave/digital tv ‘line of sight a must’ lot potentially?

1 Like

I think you’re probably right. Here is the view from Jonathan de Ferranti’s Viewfinder Panaormas web site

(c) http://viewfinderpanoramas.org

It doesn’t have Moel y Gamelin listed so we can’t check back. But it’s not Moel Fammau because if you check the panorama from their, St. Sunday Crag isn’t shown as LOS.

2 Likes

It should a bit further to the west. This is the Peak Find view including Gummers How.

1 Like

Photo was taken on the traverse back to Fairfield, don’t have an exact location but this was the next phone photo location.

1 Like

This is the view with Fairfield on the right. Moel Y Gamelin in the gap on the left.

1 Like