My activation of Summit TF/SV-040 Helgafell.

It was pure fun and joy to activate my first Summit in 2021. The weather was perfect, no wind and temp 5°C ( 41 F).

Lurking here in the background, covered in fog, is the Summit, 338 meters (1108 feet)

The ascent is pretty steep, you reach the top in about an hour and a half.

Iceland is a land of extremes. We have Glaciers, active Volcanoes, Geothermal Heat, and Geysers.

The whole of Iceland was covered by thick ice during the Ice age, and this mountain, Helgafell, formed during an eruption under the Glacier.

It is made of Tuff, which is a type of rock made of volcanic ash ejected from a vent during a volcanic eruption.

Following ejection and deposition, the ash is lithified into a solid rock.

I used my MTR3b rig (5w), and an Inv V antenna to make 40 QSO´s. Big thanks to all the Chasers, and see you soon on another SOTA Activation.

73´s Siggi TF3CW

23 Likes

Spectacular!
Dale AA7OY

…very impressive. Thanks for sharing, Siggi!
May I ask who makes those paddles?
73, Roman

Well done Siggi and thanks for report!
wonderful place, I thought that in this period of year all iceland was covered of snow.
Roberto iw2obx

Awesome!

Thanks Roman… The paddles are made by Peter GM0EUL. They are made to order, and use the same bearings as Begali.

Mine weigh 23 grams…

Here is his Website:GM0EUL Morse keys

73´s Siggi TF3CW

73´s Siggi

1 Like

tnx for the S2S QSO Siggi

73 cu kurt HB9AFI/p

1 Like

Hi Siggi,
Thank you very much for my first “DX” SOTA QSO 2 x QRP.
My pwr was 5 W to an only 3m long whip antenna, for me this was super SOTA DX.
73 and cuagn
Patrick
ON4BCA

Hi Patrick…

Nice to hear from you, and thanks for the QSO. I was running 5 W also, and a Inv V antenna. Hope to QSO from many more Summits this year.

73´s Siggi TF3CW

Hi Roberto…

Usually, at this time of year, snow covers pretty much all of Iceland, but this winter has been the warmest in 100 years in Southern Iceland. Lots of snow in the North though.

73´s Siggi TF3CW

2 Likes

Somebody put the wrong address on the snow order and it was delivered it to the wrong place… we got it here in Scotland!

1 Like

Yep, I saw it on the telly, sorry about that… :flushed:

AC1Z- Glad to be able to chase you! Thanks for the pictures! Quite a place!

1 Like

Brings back fond memories of my trip to Iceland in summer 2019. On that occasion, the great danger was sunburn; the last thing I expected:

Try getting in a hot spring with that! :open_mouth: :hushed: :astonished:

Glad to see your first activation went well, the bands have certainly picked up since I was there. I also took an MTR3b, and think it is an excellent choice where every gram in the pack has to be carefully scrutinised.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt