mw6gwr/p--m6gwr/p

Thankyou all for the contacts when I got to the top of the last summit G/WB-010 and started I had a problem with antenna as the swr was 59+60 when the swl would be 53 and no one could hear me when it did that so sorry to all that I could not make the contacts as I give up with the antenna and packed up to go to birmingham then home geting back at 04:00 if you might no what was wrong with the antenna plz say.

Ricky
MW6GWR

In reply to MW6GWR:

Hi Ricky

Without knowing what antenna you were using and how you were measuring the (v)swr there is no way any of us can help you :o(

59+60 and 53 is not a measure of antenna efficiency or swr.

More information is required.

Carolyn

In reply to MW6GWR:

WB-010: The Wrekin.

Did you fail to notice the considerable broadcast mast and antennas on that hill?

Welcome to the world of RF overload. You need either a tight set of bandpass filters centered on the amateur bands you want to use. Or a receiver that can better handle significant RF overload conditions. Put simple so much out of band RF was received by your radio that it was unable to function on the bands you wanted to use.

You’re not the first person to suffer from this problem and wont be the last.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hi Andy

That would be true if he was only using 2m with a poor handy, I think he means his hf antenna was playing up as I didn’t see any spots for VHF and did work him on 40m.

The Wrekin is not the worst for broadcast/pmr/link/pager interference.

Carolyn

In reply to MW6GWR:

Ricky, we would like to help, so could you tell us:
What rig you were using,
what antenna you were using,
if you were using an FT817, which antenna socket you had in use,
was it an intermittent fault or there all the time.

Have you checked all the plugs? A bad solder connection on a PL259 is quite possible, particularly the earthy side. The centre connector and the inner of the coax can come apart rather easily on a BNC plug. Check also the other end, is the coax well connected to the antenna? A poor connection (“dry joint”) can look perfectly OK until you start prodding it! If you are using a tuner of the MFJ family, they are notorious for poor solder joints, although the units themselves are excellent once these little defects are found and corrected. There is more that can be done but the above is a good start.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Sorry we just had a power cut. I did do a bit of vhf but no contacts but I did hear some think like TF from iceland but the problem was on HF I was useing A Icom 703 useing the swr on transceiver the antenna was a carolina windon that dos 40 30 20 15 12 10 6 meters.

Ricky

In reply to MM0FMF:
yes I did note the broadcast mast but there was 2 broadcast mast on Long Mountain-Beacon Ring GW/MW-026 but I was fine on that summit.

Ricky

In reply to MW6GWR:

Fine, Ricky. The 703 tuner should be able to tune the windom so the first thing to do is check all the plugs: if your Windom is an M0CVO check both ends of the coax, make sure water hasn’t got in the coax, there needs to be a good seal around the plug on the balun. I suppose the important question is did you set it up and try it when you got home, and if so was it still faulty?

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
I have not had much time to do much as I was out all day on sunday and saturday was more of wake up day as we got back 04:00 19h out so was not going to do much the radio woke ok use that at home with the home antenna so I do know that it is not to do with the radio but as it is raining hear I can’t get out side and test it yet

In reply to MW6GWR:
Hello Ricky, I spoke with you on GW/MW-030 1015Z. Previous comments about the need to check connections/continuity are spot on.

A small story - my vertical antenna element is controlled via a 5 wire control cable that is buried (along with the co-ax) in conduit. One day the VSWR went completely wrong on all bands from 40-6m. I spent hours locating the fault. Where the control cable went into the conduit, a vole, or something small with sharp teeth had taken a brief liking to the control cable and had chewed through the cable until it hit the 33v :sunglasses:

Don’t worry you will get it sorted out it just takes time. If the front end of your rig was being overloaded on the summit then of course being at home when you check will determine if that was the case.

These situations have been visited upon us all. Please be glad you did not do what I did once in 1983, climb up a summit in Wales (with a car battery before all these modern bat packs) and then found that I had left the rig/antenna co-ax patch lead in the car an hour or so away :sunglasses:

Good luck
Mike
G6TUH

In reply to G8ADD:

In reply to MW6GWR:

Fine, Ricky. The 703 tuner should be able to tune the windom so the
first thing to do is check all the plugs:

A simple multimeter is useful for finding dry joints, broken connections or short circuits etc, especially inside plugs or sealed antenna connections where you cannot see them. Measuring between the element of the antenna and the relevant connector on the plug, you should get a steady low ohms reading (or no reading at all!) even when you gently flex the cable.
You do need to understand the antenna if it has any matching stubs / coils etc, but a basic meter is really useful.
Adrian

In reply to G4AZS:
I have checked the antenna and tested it can’t fine a think wrong have made a contact with it so I updated it a bit hope it will be fine. :slight_smile:
hopeing to be out soon on a summit the date I am looking at is 14th or the 28th

Ricky
MW6GWR