Mt. San Martín EA2/NV-151 by EA2IF/P on 29/10/2019

This drive-up 1 point little hill is absolutely fantastic for DX towards the West. It gave me big satisfactions with great S2S contacts with VK via Long Path a few years ago and I want it to be my summit for this Saturday transatlantic S2S event.
>Éste montecito de 1 punto accesible en coche es absolutamente fantástico para DX hacia el Oeste. Me dió grandes satisfacciones con grandes contactos S2S via Paso Largo hace pocos años y quiero que sea mi cima para el evento SaS transatlántico de este sábado.

It is 23Km South-West of my QTH in Pamplona and I went there this afternoon in order to test a 2 elements inverted L I’ve been thinking about for this transatlantic S2S event.
Setting up was not as fast and easy as it usually is when I set-up as a sloper, but after about 30 minutes, the set-up got ready and it looked like this:
>Está 23Km al Sudoeste desde mi QTH en Pamplona y fui allí esta tarde para probar una L invertida de 2 elementos en la que he estado pensando para este evento SaS transatlántico.
La instalación no fue tan rápida y fácil como suele ser cuando monto como sloper, pero tras unos 30 minutos, la instalación quedó lista y se veía así:

The radiating element was an inverted L EFHW wire with about 7m in vertical and about 3m gently sloping down.
The reflector was placed about 5 meters (1/4 wave) behind the radiating element and it was a 0.5m longer wire replicating the same inverted L shape.
I used my FT-817ND at 5W with a MFJ-941B antenna tuner.
>El elemento radiante era un hilo de media onda alimentado en el extremo y en L invertida, con unos 7m en vertical y unos 3 metros descendiendo suavemente en pendiente.
El reflector fue puesto unos 5m (1/4 de onda) detrás del elemento radiante y era un hilo 0,5m más largo replicando la misma forma de L invertida.
Usé mi FT-817ND a 5W con un acoplador de antenas MFJ-941B.

Soon after I started CQing, I was first chased by a Northamerican W9MRH from Indiana. That was a really good start. Then, three Europeans made it to the log with really good signals, including Mariusz SP9AMH, who put S8 with his QRP. After these three, the second Northamerican of the day, this time it was K5DEZ from New Mexico and I thought “wow!” because W5 activators are usually not easy to copy when I’m chasing from home. Seven more Europeans with very strong signals and two more Northamericans made it to the log. W2SE from New Jersey and N4EX from North Carolina. Rich was a 589 and he gave me a 559. I asked him to hold on for a second report after a change in my antenna. Rich agreed and I immediately went to lay down the fishing rod with the reflector element. When I got back and transmitted with the EFHW only, Rich gave me 549 and I gave him 579, one S unit less on both sides. Then I asked him to give a new report after getting back to the original configuration, he agreed and I went quickly to stand back up the fishing rod with the reflector as it was initially. I transmitted to Rich, he gave me a 559 and I gave him a 589. The lost S unit was back up. That was great as it confirmed that the reflector was doing his job nicely. One more European made it to the log after this brief test and the icing of the cake arrived in the form of S2S with K4QS from Virginia activating W4V/SH-027. Chuck was an easy copy, we thanked to each other for the S2S without exchanging SOTA references. I knew I would find it on SOTAwatch as well as he would find mine and that would give me more time to work more DX chasers. It was exactly like this, as K8EZ from Michigan and NG6R from California followed. At this point Jorge EA2LU called me and congratulated me for the DX and the S2S. Thank you Boss. Five more Europeans were logged and three Northamericans followed: NE4TN from Tennessee, K2VV from Missouri and AA0AI from Iowa. Finally, Jan OK2PDT, with very strong signal, closed this first CW run of 28 QSOs in 45 minutes.
After about 4-5 minutes CQing without response, I QSYed to SSB. There I only logged 2 QSOs, one with the Canary Islands and the other was with Manuel EA2DT from Pamplona, who had just got home after work. Four more minutes CQing without response made me give up and QSY back to CW, as I was almost running out of time and I wanted to give the opportunity to chase me to some more DX chasers.
In this second run on CW I logged 3 European stations, the last of whom worked long and QRS giving me his name and asking for mine, as well as telling me he would send his QSL by the BURO to which I had to ask to please not do it as I only do eQSL now. This slow and too long QSO consumed all my little available time, as I had to dismantle and pack everything up, put it in the car and drive the 23Km to Pamplona hospital, where I had an appointment for my daily radiotherapy session at 17h30z.
With much sorrow I had to QRT leaving unresponded the very much appreciated calls of 3 chasers: @EI5HJ, @K7GT from Oregon and another European whose callsing I, unfortunately, have forgotten. I’m very, very sorry for not having had the time to complete QSO with you all and I look forward to making it very soon.
>Enseguida de empezar a llamar CQ, fui cazado en primer lugar por un norteamericano W9MRH desde Indiana. Eso fue realmente un buen comienzo. Entonces, tres europeos fueron al log con señales realmente buenas, incluyendo Mariusz SP9AMH, quien puso S8 con su QRP. Después de estos tres, el segundo norteamericano del día, ésta vez fue K5DEZ desde New Mexico y pensé “genial!” porque los activadores desde W5 no se copian fácilmente cuando estoy cazando desde casa. Siete europeos más con señales muy fuertes y dos norteamericanos más fueron al log log. W2SE desde New Jersey y N4EX desde North Carolina. Rich llegaba 589 y me dió un 559. Le pedí que esperase para un segundo reporte tras un cambio en mi antena. Rich accedió e inmediatamente fui a tumbar la caña con el elemento reflector. Cuando volví a transmitir solo con el hilo de media onda alimentado en el extremo, Rich me dió un 549 y yo le di 579, una unidad S menos en ambos lados. Entonces le pedí que me diera un nuevo reporte tras volver a la configuración inicial, él accedió y fui rápidamente a levantar la caña con el reflector tal como estaba inicialmente. Transmití para Rich, él me dió 559 y yo le di un 589. La unidad S perdida fue recuperada. Eso fue genial, pues confirmaba que el reflector estaba haciendo bonitamente su trabajo. Un europeo más fue al log tras este breve ensayo y la guinda del pastel llegó en forma de SaS con K4QS desde Virginia activando W4V/SH-027. A Chuck le copiaba fácilmente, nos agradecimos mutuamente por el SaS sin intercambiar referencia SOTA, pues sabía que la encontraría en SOTAwatch como él encontraría la mía y ello me daría más tiempo para trabajar más cazadores DX. Fue exactamente así, pues siguieron K8EZ desde Michigan y NG6R desde California. En este punto, Jorge EA2LU me llamó y felicitó por los DX y el SaS. Gracias, “Boss”. Cinco europeos más fueron al log y tres norteamericanos siguieron: NE4TN desde Tennessee, K2VV desde Missouri y AA0AI desde Iowa. Finalmente, Jan OK2PDT, con señales muy fuertes, cerró este primer tramo en CW con 28 QSOs en 45 minutos.
Tras unos 4-5 minutes llamando CQ y sin respuesta, hice QSY a SSB. Allí sólo anoté 2 QSOs, uno con las Islas Canarias y el otro fue con Manuel EA2DT desde Pamplona, quien acababa de llegar a casa después del trabajo. Cuatro minutos más llamando CQ y sin respuesta me hicieron abandonar y hacer QSY de vuelta a CW, pues me estaba quedando casi sin tiempo y quería dar la oportunidad de cazarme a algún cazador DX más.
En este segundo tramo en CW anoté tres estaciones europeas, la última de las cuales trabajó largo y QRS dándome su nombre y preguntando por el mío, así como diciéndome que me mandaría QSL via buro, a lo que tuve que pedir que no hiciera, por favor, pues ahora solo hago eQSL. Este lento y demasiado largo QSO consumió todo el poco tiempo que me quedaba, pues tenía que desmantelar y empacar todo, meterlo en el coche y conducir los 23Km hasta el hospital de Pamplona, donde tenía cita para mi sesión diaria de radioterapia a las 17h30z.
Con gran pesar tuve que QRT dejando sin responder las muy apreciadas llamadas de 3 cazadores: @EI5HJ, @K7GT desde Oregon y otro europeo cuyo indicativo he, lamentablemente, olvidado. Siento mucho, mucho no haber tenido tiempo para completar QSO con todos ustedes y confío en hacerlo muy pronto.

This is the full log with 33 QSOs, 10 of which were DX from the U.S.A., being one of these DX a S2S.
>Éste es el log completo con 33 QSOs, 10 de los cuales fueron DX desde los EE.UU., siendo uno de estos DX un SaS.

You can see it on the map:
>Pueden verlo en el mapa:

The weather forecast doesn’t look too good for this Saturday and I don’t know if I’ll be able to make it for the transatlantic S2S event, but I really hope the weather forecasters will be wrong or the weather will change for the better to be able to be there without any time constrains and make a lot of transatlantic S2S. The 2 elements EFHW inverted L works as you can see by the reverse beacon spots!
>La estimación del tiempo no pinta demasiado bien para esta sábado y no sé si podré hacerlo para el evento SaS transatlántico, pero realmente espero que los metereólogos de equivoquen o que el tiempo cambie a mejor para poder estar ahí sin restricciones de tiempo y hacer un montón de SaS transatlánticos. El hilo de mediaonda alimentado en el extremo con 2 elementos funciona como pueden ver por los spots de reverse beacon!

Thanks dear chasers for your calls and QSOs.
I’ll be looking forward to copying you all again very soon from a summit.
>Gracias estimados cazadores por sus llamadas y QSOs.
Espero copiarles pronto a todos ustedes de nuevo desde una cima.

Guru

10 Likes

Wooow Guru!
Admirable activation and report.
I will take inspiration from your high-performance setup antenna. unfortunately this weekend weather forecasts are not favorable also in my area.
if it is cloudy, I will try to climb up Mount Tesoro I / LO-222. very easy summit and with excellent take off towards north america. The last time this summit given me great satisfaction in fact of NA QSOs.

1 Like

I’m glad for that and that was my intention when I published my experience here. As the U.S theorical physician and scientific Dr. Michio Kaku sais and I agree with, “if you don’t share the knowledge, it serves to nothing”.
I hope you’ll get many good DX QSOs with it.
Cheers,

Guru

1 Like

Hi Roberto and all,
This is just to let you know that I have included at the end of the activation report above a copy of the RBN spots I got yesterday during my activation. You’ll see some really good reports from stations in Northamerica.

Guru

Congratulations on this interesting antenna test and results Guru.
It is an easy way to get certain directivity and I am very glad you enjoyed with all these NA DX contacts. Well done!

Thanks for sharing and I hope you will use this setup many more times.

VY 73, Ignacio

1 Like

Tnx Guru for sharing your experience,
I saw your spot from 10dB to 24dB in North America. Good signals for qrp setup.
See you soon
Roberto

1 Like