Mt. San Cristóbal EA2/NV-119 by EA2IF/P on 12/10/2019

With the good propagation conditions we are having lately, I decided to go out and activate SOTA just to have the pleasure of working DX with my 5 W and the EFHW antenna.
>Con las buenas condiciones de propagación que estamos teniendo últimamente, decidí salir a activar SOTA solo para tener el placer de trabajar DX con mis 5 W y la antena de cable de media onda alimentado en el extremo.

I tried to find a spot at the West of the summit in order to have my antenna in the most favorable position to get an optimum take-off towards the NorthWest, as I wanted to get as many DX with NA as possible, but I found that the optimum area best oriented to the NW was too low, about 40m below the summit and thus out of the AZ, so I hiked up again and finally found a high spot, not as ideally close to the mountain slope towards the NW but it was the best I could find and not too bad according to the obtained results.
>Intenté encontrar un sitio al Oeste de la cima para tener mi antena en la posición más favorable para tener un despegue óptimo hacia el Noroeste, pues quería conseguir tantos DX con Norteamérica como fuese posible, pero encontré que la zona óptima mejor orientada al Noroeste estaba demasiado baja, unos 40m por debajo de la cima, así que fuera de la Zona de Activación, por tanto subí de nuevo y finalmente encontré un punto alto, no tan idealmente cercano a la pendiente de la montaña hacia el Noroeste, pero fue lo mejor que pude encontrar y no tan malo de acuerdo a los resultados obtenidos.

This was my setup today:
>Ésta fue mi instalación hoy:

I worked 20m CW first, where I logged 17 QSOs in 37 minutes 4 of which were DX with NA and even one more possibly was a S2S with @VE2JCW, although I’m in seroius doubt about this and I’ll have to check his activator log to confirm. My doubt is because I saw a spot of him on SOTAwatch, went to the frequency and there were 2 stations making a SOTA style QSO. I was copying both stations, so I assumed one of them was VE2JCW and the other one of his chasers. When they finished their QSO, I called and I was picked up, we exchanged reports, I sent my SOTA reference and then he sent his, but I didn’t copy much of it due to the QSB and the static crashes I was having from a thunderstorm approaching. I didn’t ask for a repeat because I trusted what I had on SOTAwatch and also because I was planning to remain on the frequency listenning to him for confirmation while he was making other QSOs. But we finished our QSO and he went quiet, disappeared. Our QSO was at 16h41 and then I saw a spot a 16h42 of him on 40m. I don’t know if he was really quick ending our QSO, making QSY to 40m and raising a spot within one minute or it was not him who I contacted on 20m. Well, I’ll wait and check his activator log as soon as it’s available in the DB. It was not yet there a few minutes ago.
>Trabajé 20m CW primero, donde anoté 17 QSOs en 37 minutes, 4 de los cuales fueron DX con NA e incluso uno más posiblemente fue un SaS con @VE2JCW, aunque tengo serias dudas sobre esto y tendré que comprobar su log de activador para confirmar. Mi duda es porque vi un spot de él en SOTAwatch, fui a la frecuencia y había 2 estaciones haciendo un QSO de estilo SOTA. Estaba copiando a ambas estaciones, así que asumí que uno de ellos era VE2JCW y el otro uno de sus cazadores. Cuando terminaron su QSO, llamé y fui copiado, intercambiamos reportes, envié mi referencia SOTA y entonces él envió la suya, pero no copié mucho de ella debido al QSB y a los rasponazos de estática que estaba teniendo por una tormenta que se aproximaba. No pedí que la repitiese porque me fié de lo que tenía en SOTAwatch y también porque iba a quedarme en la frecuencia escuchándole para confirmar mientras él hacía otros QSOs. Pero terminamos nuestro QSO y él se quedó callado, desapareció. Nuestro QSO fue a las 16h41 y entonces vi un spot suyo a las 16h42 en 40m. No sé si él fue realmente rápido terminando nuestro QSO, haciendo QSY a 40m y poniendo un spot todo ello en un minuto o si es que no fue él con quien contacté en 20m. Bueno, esperaré y comprobaré su log de activador en cuanto esté disponible en la base de datos. No lo estaba hace unos pocos minutos.

After 10 minutes CQing on CW without response, I decided to QSY to SSB, where I logged 15 QSOs in 23 minutes, 3 of which were DX with NA. Several stations from Spain also chased me with very strong signals. I was even chased by one EA9 in the North of Africa. I decided to QRT when I saw a lightning in the sky pretty close to the summit and a very dark grey cloud approaching. By the time I got everything packed up and started my descent to the car I had left parked not too far, the first drops of rain were starting to fall.
>Después de 10 minutos llamando CQ sin respuestas, decidí hacer QSY a SSB, donde anoté 15 QSOs en 23 minutos, 3 de los cuales fueron DX con NA. Muchas estaciones desde España me cazaron también con señales muy fuertes. Incluso fui cazado por un EA9 en el Norte de África. Decidí hacer QRT cuando vi un rayo en el cielo bastante cerca de la cima y una nube gris muy oscura aproximándose. Para cuando tuve todo empacado y empecé mi descenso al coche, que había dejado aparcado no demasiado lejos, las primeras gotas de lluvia estaban empezando a caer.

All in all, 32 QSOs in the log, 8 of which were DX with NA (6 USA and 2 Canada).
This is the full log just uploaded to the newsotadatabase:
>En total, 32 QSOs en el log, 8 de los cuales fuern DX con NA (6 EE.UU. y 2 Canadá).
Éste es el log completa recién subido a la nueva base de datos SOTA:

You can see it on the map:
>Pueden verlo en el mapa:

This is the view to the NorthEast from my operating position:
>Ésta es la vista hacia el Noreste desde mi posición de operación:

Before leaving the summit, a few pictures of the views to the North to be shared with you:
>Antes de dejar la cima, unas pocas fotos de las vistas hacia el Norte para compartir con ustedes:

The storm was approaching from the South.
I got in the car mainly dry.
Thanks dear chasers for your calls and QSOs.
I’ll be looking forward to copying you all again soon from a summit.
>La tormenta estaba aproximándose desde el Sur.
Llegué al coche mayormente seco.
Gracias estimados cazadores por sus llamadas y QSOs.
Estaré esperando copiarles pronto a todos ustedes de nuevo desde una cima.

Guru

3 Likes

For your information, I have just checked his activator log and found that he didn’t make a QSO with me, so it’s clear I made my QSO with somebody else, but I don’t know who and I’ll probably never figure out.
>Para su información, acabo de comprobar su log de activador y encontrar que él nunca hizo QSO conmigo, así que es claro que hice mi QSO con algún otro, pero no sé con quién y probablemente nunca lo averiguaré.
imagen
I’ll delete this S2S from my activator log.
>Borraré este SaS de mi log de activador.

Guru

And I did figure out. It was as simple and easy as going to Show who chased me.
There he is, it was @KD8DEU, so another DX, although not an S2S:
>Y lo averigué. Fue tan simple y fácil como ir a “Show who chased me” (muestra quién me cazó). Ahí está, fue @KD8DEU, así que otro DX, aunque no un SaS:

I’ll update my activator log accordingly.
>Actualizaré mi log de acuerdo a esto.

Guru

1 Like