Mt. O chao da Caldeira EA1/CR-032 by EA2IF/P on 15/08/2018

I informed previously on a pre-planning thread of my intentions to activate the new unique Mt. O chao da Caldeira EA1/CR-032 today and so I did.
>En un previo hilo de discusión de preplanificación informé de mis intenciones de activar la nueva referencia Mt. Chao da Caldeira EA1/CR-032 hoy y así hice.

It’s in the very North-West corner of the Iberian Peninsula.
>Está en la misma esquina Nor-Occidental de la península Ibérica.

If you enter the coordinates Lat./Long of the very summit, you’ll be able to drive on asphalt road up to nearly the trig point. It’s just necessary a brief walk or even a drive on a track for the last few tens of meters until you reach the trig point.
>Si introducen las coordenadas Lat/Long de la misma cima, podrán conducir sobre carreteras de asfalto hasta muy cerca del vértice geodésico. Hace falta un breve paseo o incluso conducir en una pista las últimas decenas de metros hasta que lleguen al vértice geodésico.

I got to the summit by 10h18 local (08h18utc) and started setting up with my fishing rod tied to the tall trig point cylinder, which wasn’t easy due to a steady strong wind and the need to work at a not neglibible height with a reasonable risk of falling down:
>Llegué a la cima para las 10h18 local (08h18utc) y empecé a montar con my caña de pescar atada al cilindro del vértice geodésico, lo que fue fácil debido a un firme y fuerte viento y la necesidad de trabajar a una nada despreciable altura con un razonable riesgo de caer.

I mentally estimated that having the top of the fishing rod that high, installing my 10m long endfed wire would not be a long enough antenna as to be out of all those bushes around the trig point, so I took my 21m long wire instead and made a longer sloper down to the trypod I had installed on the track you can see in the picture. I guessed there wouldn’t be vehicles traffic on that track this morning and so it was. Just a group of 4 or 5 walkers passed by one way and they returned later.
>Mentalmente estimé que teniendo la caña de pescar así de alta, montando my hilo alimentado en el extremo de 10m de largo no sería una antena suficientemente larga como para estar fuera de los arbustos alrededor del vértice geodésico, así que en su lugar tomé mi hilo de 21m de largo e hice una “sloper” más larga hasta mi trípode abajo que había puesto en la pista que pueden ver en la foto. Supuse que no habría tráfico de vehículos por esa pista y así fue. Solo un grupo de 4 o 5 paseantes pasaron en un sentido y retornaron más tarde.

I won’t describe much in detail my operation because it was full of band and mode changes in order to try to work the many activations I was seeing spotted on SOTAwatch.
>No describiré en gran detalle mi activación porque estuvo llena de cambios de banda y modo para tratar de trabajar los muchos activadores que veía anunciados en SOTAwatch.

However, I didn’t manage to be copied by 2 EA activators I was copying very well. Shame…
>De todos modos, no conseguí ser copiado por 2 activadores EA que yo estaba copiando muy bien. Lástima…

The anecdote of the day is that I heard OK8VM/p sending 88 to his previous QSO before I called in and I assumed that a YL was operating, so I sent my 88 after the QSO. After typing my log to the SAISE SOTA logging program, I have found he was Victor GI4ONL with his OK callsign :blush:
>La anécdota del día es que escuché a OK8VM/P enviando 88 a su contacto anterior antes de que yo le llamara y asumí que una YL estaba operando, así que le envié mis 88 tras el QSO. Después de teclear mi log en el programa SAISIE SOTA, he descubierto que él era Victor GI4ONL con su indicativo OK :blush:

I was delighted when I was called for an S2S by TF/HB9GKR/P from TF/AL-255. Thank you!
Appart of this TF DX from the middle of the North Atlantic Ocean, one single contact from accross the Pond made it to the log today. It was Leslie K4DY. Thank you for the DX!
>Estuve encantado cuando fui llamado para un Sota a Sota por TF/HB9GKR/P desde TF/AL-255. Gracias!
Aparte de este DX con TF desde el medio del Atlantico Norte, un solo contacto desde el otro lado del charco llegó hasta mi log. Fue Leslie K4DY. Gracias por el DX!

You can see the huge log of 90 QSOs here:
>Pueden ver el enorme log de 90 QSOs aquí:

imagen

And the amazing S2S log with 21 entries:
>Y el alucinante log de Sota a Sota con 21 entradas:
imagen

I enjoyed very much this activation and I would have loved to stay until the batteries had died, but this summit was 74Km North of my current hoilidays QTH in Ferrol and I wanted to take some pictures from the summit and also do a bit of tourism around the area.
>Disfruté mucho esta activación y me habría encantado quedarme hasta que las baterías hubieran muerto, pero esta cima estaba a 74Km al Norte de mi actual QTH de vacaciones en Ferrol y quería tomar algunas fotos desde la cima y también hacer algo de turismo por la zona.

Let me share with you some of the views from the summit:
>Déjenme compartir con ustedes las vistas desde la cima:

On descent, I took this picture of the very North-West corner of Spain, the Cape of Estaca de Bares.
>Descendiendo, tomé esta foto del mismísimo rincón Nor-Oeste de España, el cabo de Estaca de Bares.

After the activation, I stopped by Porto do Barqueiro for a drink and something to eat.
>Después de la activación, paré por Porto do Barqueiro para beber y comer algo.

Again a very enjoyable day in the mountain and on the air. Thanks to SOTA for giving me a perfect excuse for me to visit and enjoy all these beautiful places.
>Una vez más, un día de gran disfrute en la montaña y en el aire. Gracias a SOTA por darme la excusa perfecta para visitar y disfrutar todos estos preciosos lugares.

Thanks dear chasers for all your calls and QSOs.
>Gracias estimados cazadores por todas sus llamadas y QSOs.

Guru

5 Likes

Well done. Glad to be in your log as S2S from here:

1 Like

Thanks for the S2S today Guru. I had 3 or 4 S2S, I still have to enter the log. But I think you had the better weather. This was taken before the rains came.

Several SOTA summits in the distance including Ben Hope, Ben Loyal, Cnoc nam Cuilean, Beinn Stumanadh, Ben Hiel, Ben Griam Mor and Ben Griam Beg.

1 Like

Very pleased with this new S2S. After checking my main log, I learnt this was our 3rd S2S. I’m sure there will be more…
Yes, weather was great although I wore my windstopper all the +3hours of operation in the wind. Hurra for my LiFePo4!
Thanks again for the S2S.

Guru
PD. Unlike the BRRAAPP guy you spoke about in other thread, I adjusted from my usual activating speed of 22wpm to a comfortable for you 18wpm and everything went fine and smooth.