Mt. Harriaundi EA2/NV-108 by EA2IF/P on 03/12/2020

It’s a Bank Holiday today here, as it’s the Day of Navarra (EA2/NV), so I proposed to my son and the family of his 2 friends to join me for a SOTA in the morning. The three kids accepted and the mother of my son’s friends too.
I chose this summit, which I already had activated this year, because it’s near Pamplona and the hike is short and easy, perfect for going with the kids.
This is a picture of myself and the 10 years old kids trio at the start of the final ascent through the bleech trees forest.

When we got to the summit, the cloud was wrapping it completely so we had no views at all, which is a shame because this summit usually offers great views over the valleys around.
I set up with my 10m long endfed wire as a sloper from the top of my telescopic 7m long fishing rod and the counterpoise wire was extended on the ground.
As soon as I switched my FT-817ND and QSYed from 40m (where I had been activating the day before) to 20m, I found Jorge EA2LU/P activating on 14.062 and a quick S2S made him get back to me, so I logged a S2S with my friend Jorge (the Boss). Hum, not a bad start.
I left Jorge on 14.062 and I QSYed 2 Kc up to start CQing on 14.064. I had alerted this activation and RBNHole spotted me right away, which brought the pile of chasers to me. The first chaser was a big nice surprise and his signal from the opposite side of the globe was simply amazing: Andrei ZL1TM was the first QSO after I started CQing and his signal was outstanding, strong and steady with no QSB at all.
A S2S with my old friend Jorge EA2LU and a QSO with Andrei ZL1TM: difficult to have a better start for an activation.
Since it was cold and foggy at the summit, I wanted to make it short to avoid my company a long time waiting, but the stream of chasers calling in was continuous and I didn’t want to leave without having worked everyone.
My first S2S QSO with Jorge was at 10h52 on 14.062
Then I QSYed to 14.064 and started CQing. The QSO with Andrei ZL1TM was logged at 10h55 and the last one with Elly EA1XN at 11h19. This meant a run of 28 QSO (2 of them were S2S with Jarek SP9MA and Ignacio EA2BD) in 24 minutes and I assure you it was a lot of fun, which I enjoyed very much.
After QRT and pack up, I ate a small sandwich I had and after this final picture, we left the summit and descended.

It was a short but very nice activation and we all had a great time out in the mountain.
Thanks dear chasers for your calls and QSOs. I’ll be looking forward to chasing you all again from a summit soon.

Guru

15 Likes

Hi Guru,

Tnx S2S !

For Andrei ZL1TM it was the same at my place - loud and clear :wink:

73, Jarek

4 Likes

It seems a cold day…hihihihi … good activity and enjoy the bank holiday with the kids.
EC7ZT. Manu.

Hi Manu,
Well, you know everything is relative. After seeing the picture of his summit posted by Jarek SP9MA, I consider we were very lucky for being in such a “warm” weather :wink:
Our temperature was well above freezing, something around 5ºC, which I consider very good for hiking and perfectly bearable during a brief activation with the proper multilayer coating. I honestly prefer activating with a cool temperature rather than too much heat like 30º C and the like.

Guru

2 Likes

Many thanks for the report Guru. It is really good to see you out and about and looking so well. Excellent indeed!

Nothing planned here at the moment, not even the usual outing between Christmas and the New Year, but maybe I will get out on a summit early in 2021 if the situation improves. Hopefully work you then.

73, Gerald

1 Like

that’s true, but I prefer 15º than 30º, by the way here 5º in the south is too cold for us … hihihihihi, the good thing about cold is that the flies go away and you can enjoy yourself without any problem…hihihihi. I’m impatient that the lockdown ends, and I can go out to activate a new Sota.
I hope hear you on cw.

Absolutely agree.
In summer time there’s a warm weather, but there are too many insects, too strong Sun, too much sweating, dehydration…
That’s why I prefer cool/cold weather by far. That’s why I left Aranjuez-Madrid in 2012 to get back living in my birthland near the Pyrenees :wink:

Guru

2 Likes

5ºC is cold, please gentlemans, Manu is a beach man, for the people of the kingdom of Granada, high mountains, 5ºC is very hot. In Cerro Pelao EA7 / GR-006 2700m Manu duvet jacket, José only t-shirt and sweating.
Fuerte abrazo a cada uno.
José

1 Like

It’s true, by the way, and I was still cold…hihihihihihi… you are from Granada, and I from Marbella where the temp doesn’t drop below 15ºC hihihihihihi…
Un abrazo!! y espero que estéis bien Pepe.

Hi Guru,

Thank you for your comments.
Temperature is not the most important.
If no wind or small wind like on my mentioned activation it is possible to stay safe even for one hour or more despite of minus 10 temperature - everything acc to the rule: there is no bad weather, only bad clothes :wink:

73, Jarek

Totally agree, wind is key and activating exposed to wind can get our body dangerously too cold really fast. I always wear multilayer when activating and the outermost layer is a windstopper, the best investment.

Guru

1 Like

Hi Guru,

Jorge EA2LU and enjoyed working you S2S as well.

Temperature for us being a bit further North-East and closer to the sea was about the same, but it was foggy and windy.
I know Jorge struggled a bit when working Andrei ZL1TM as he had to hold the pole vertical while keying CW to finish the qso. Afterwards his pole fell over to the ground several times…

Here you see him in his activation area:

and you see my antenna as well once the fog moved a bit away (Cantabrian Sea in the far end):

I wasn’t lucky with 20m SSB, as I spent 10 minutes calling CQ with no response. Bad luck this time, but 40m did the deal again.

Glad to see SP9MA pictures as well and thanks for the S2S.

See you soon from another summit, and perhaps together in Christmas time Guru?
73 de Ignacio

3 Likes

Nice set up Ignacio!, and amazing place, congrats!, I’m looking forward to hear you on any summit.
EC7ZT. Manu.