Mountain toppers - iambic A or B?

Hi, guys.

I was wondering - on eham.net a few reviewers mentioned MTR3b has a iambic A keyer, while I swear I had seen earlier it has Iambic B. I could not find this in the manual nor on the product website.

Does anyone know 100% which iambic keyer is built in the MTR3b (and I assume the same in MTR5b)?

Thanks in advance! I became sleepless after getting into a dilemma mode… :wink:

I’m sure it’s iambic B. If it was A, I and anyone listening to me would hear the difference.
Matt

2 Likes

It’s a Steve Weber special. A lot of people have said (including me) that it can take a bit of getting used to because the paddle timing rules in his code are different from most other keyer code.

No but the MTR3B accepts my fist so is similar enough to the ft817 ic703, ic736 and my cmos super keyer. The differences are fairly subtle, you have to be pushing the squeeze keying style at speed (25+) to notice the difference. For anyone using a single lever key I don’t think there would be any difference because to use the benefits of those modes you have to be squeeze keying.
But I could be wrong…

OK, so it seems it is the B then. I am not sure why at least 3 reviewers claim it is an A.
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/12490

My $3 homebrew dual paddle straps to my leg and working into my FT-857D keyer it’s good. Radio ZS magazine has my article on the build for publication. Once it’s out I will post some photos of it.

The timing is different to Yaesu, that’s for sure, I’m great with my MTRs into the 30’s WPM but I can’t key my FT817 at that speed! I’m not saying any particular rig is better, just that there is a difference and I’m used to the MTR.

Quote from Steve Weber, the MTR designer -

" “A” mode doesn’t have dot or dash memory, which makes it very easy to drop dits and makes squeeze keying almost impossible.

“B” mode remembers that you closed the dit or dash paddle before the current element has finished sending. Now if you squeeze both paddles, it remembers that fact and completes by sending the last dit or dah opposite of the element being sent when you release the paddles. This makes sending characters which end with a dit -dah or dah-dit quicker like C, K, R, N, A, P and do on.

The MTR Is “B” mode

The memory is only active while the dot or dash is sending, not during the space between elements. If the memory is active during the space, you timing becomes even more critical especially at higher code speeds which can result in inserting unwanted trailing elements.

But at slower speeds, dropping a dit can become more of a problem due to “keying ahead” a little too fast.

I have a Patcomm rig which I find the built in keyer impossible to use, but the keyer in the Ten-Tec Argo V is no problem.

Steve KD1JV"

73, Colin

1 Like

OK, that quote of Steve’s email resolved the puzzle. I still cannot remember where I saw it was B.
Anyway, one day I will write a review on the eHam.net to correct the A-info there.

Thanks!