Mount Olympus, WA June 26th

My wife (WE7CAT) and I are going with a small group to attempt Mt. Olympus (W7W/NO-001) on June 26th or 27th. Depending on conditions we might try Mt. Tom (NO-017) and/or Athena (NO-008). Our plan is to camp two nights (June 25th and 26th) on Snow Dome, just below the summit.

If anyone would like to plan a summit to summit, or would like to try to check in with us from Hurricaine Ridge or Blue Mountain, we will have a FT-818 and Anytone 878 with APRS.

For the activation, we will start with 2 meter, as the summit is pretty small. We have an Arrow yagi. Given time, we will also try HF. My wife on SSB and I on CW.

I attached a 2 meter projected coverage map from www.VE2DBE.com We should have coverage in Sequim, Vancouver, Victoria, and parts of Olympia, Bellingham, and Port Angeles.

Below are coverages from the Snow Dome campsite. Perhaps we will be able to get out with APRS from there.

Thanks,
Will

VideoCapture_20210618-222733

4 Likes

Awesome Will! Bummed that I’m going to miss the chance to chase you… I will be camping on a mountain in central WA for Field Day that weekend.

Have a fantastic climb my friend. Hope to catch you on the next one. 73.

1 Like

Hopefully we can get you on 40 m from there

That would be awesome! I probably won’t have cell service, but will have APRS. I will keep an eye out for you that weekend.

So far the weather forecast is looking good, very warm. When we planned the trip, I didn’t realize it was Field day. So I might have trouble finding room on the spectrum to operate on 40 and 20 m SSB and CW. So I am also bringing my 30 m antenna for CW, since I don’t think that will be as busy? Also, since we have the FT818, we could try 2 m SSB if anyone would like. I haven’t tried that before. If so, what frequency would you recommend trying?

1 Like

Warm!?? That is an understatement!

Yes, things will be crazy on the bands. Hopefully 30 is in good shape. 2m CW / SSB should be productive for you since it will be Field Day. 144.200 (the calling freq) is where I’d go.

I will be on Table Mtn. north of Ellensburg… 30 might work, but 40 or 60 more likely. I will keep an eye out for you! Have a great climb and activation. Hope to catch you.

2 Likes

We made it! I posted pictures on SOTLAS for W7W/NO-001, and I will write it up on the PNW site soon

2 Likes

Nice job, congratulations! :+1: Looks like a pretty long trip with a varied assortment of alpine challenges that you had to conquer :wink:

1 Like

This was just a cool summer breeze in Washington!

Will,
Sorry I missed you from the lowlands of Stanwood. Not in the cards. Photos look great and sounds like everyone had a good time!
Victor

1 Like

Here is what I put in the activation report on the PNW SOTA site

http://www.pnwsota.org/blog/kl0np/2021-july-01/mount-olympus-wa-june-2021

2 Likes

What an adventure Will!!!

Best trip report I’ve read in a very long time. Glad you all made it back safe!

1 Like