Morse Runner: practice CW pileups with SOTA participants callsigns

Morse Runner is a well-known free tool to simulate and practice CW pileups.

To make it even more realistic, I updated the callsigns file (master.dta) used by Morse Runner with only callsigns of SOTA participants who use CW.

A short recording and the data file are available here.

I am working on an updated version of my master.scp with only SOTA participants (all modes, not only CW) for N1MM and similar loggers. Let me know if you are interested.

19 Likes

Thanks

Ron
VK3AFW

Hi Christophe,
Nice work :+1: but not enough for DXcluster special callers with parrots :crazy_face: !
I’m 100% ok with this kind of practice, still we have to learn where we are !
73 Éric

1 Like

I am interested.

Thanks 73

Ariel NY4G

1 Like

nice !! interested indeed.

ON6UU

Having taken part in simulated pile up contests using this type of software at HF Conventions it is great fun. The winner is the guy who accurately copies the most callsigns accurately over a given period of time - less than 3 minutes, and a scoreboard is created with a prize for the winner. The compiler always used to put varying quality of calls into the recording made up, including rough notes, QSD senders (The regular activators and chases know who these are!) and drifting signals etc. Is there any chance this style of recording can be easily made Christoph by you?

When I read your message again it seems this is not what you have in mind, but the creation of a super check partial file similar to what one may use in a contest…

73 Phil

1 Like

Hi Phil

You’re right… MorseRunner uses a kind of SCP file to automatically generate the calls in the mock contest. It will then also (if you wish) overlay multiple callers, QRM, QRN, QSB, lids, off frequency callers etc and all at different speeds so it’s pretty good fun and feels quite “real”.

This is a little different to the RUFZXP software approach which just cranks up the speed of the calls one at at time until you start to “fail”.

73 Marc G0AZS

It’s the LIDS option I like. With LIDS on it’s just like being on the air.

If only the real ionosphere had a LIDS tick box you could turn off when you booted up and left the car. Then when you got back and took your boots off you unticked LIDS and the bands went back to normal. :wink:

2 Likes

I intend to produce “SOTA oriented”

• Super Check Partial files for “CW only” (for Morse Runner for example) in .dta format (that is the one already done)
  • Super Check Partial for “CW only” (for Contest Runner for example) in .scp format
  • Super Check Partial for “all modes” (for N1MM for example, to be used during activations) to help getting the correct callsigns
  • Callsigns History for “all modes” (for N1MM for example, to be used during activations) with the first names, so that one gets the first name while typing the callsign for logging.

This last part is the most time consuming as I have to merge various sources and do a lot of data cleansing.

Hopefully I’ll be able to update and improve these files with time.

I am interested in any “callsign / first name” lists available to add to the mix. Please send them to info a_t on6zq.be

2 Likes

@VK3AFW @F5JKK @NY4G @ON6UU @G4OBK @G0AZS @MM0FMF

I have now compiled a first usable version of “SOTA oriented” CallHistory.txt, master.dta (all modes and CW only), master.scp (all modes and CW only) and DXers.lst for MorseRunner, PileupRunner, N1MM+ and similar programs.

More details here.

If needed, I can probably add files formatted for other programs: please send me an example of the original file and enough information to understand what to do.

Feedback welcome !

2 Likes

I’ll have to check this out. I am at the point where I can identify random letters and numbers 95% or better in a 15 minute window. It’s when I don’t have 3 seconds (3seconds is my default between numbers/letters), any faster than that and it all falls apart!

1 Like

Dear Chris,

tnx for your very nice work.

Manuel HB9DQM also got an excellent excercise on his website:
https://neon1.net/sota/cwtraining.php

If you are interested about individual results from Morse Runner participants have a look on the toplist on my website. Results are made on HST-competition during 10 minutes. http://highspeedtelegraphy.com/Morse-Runner-toplist

Tnx for all your nice work, have a nice weekend and stay save!
Vy73 de Fritz HB9CSA (DL4FDM)

Thank you Fritz for letting me know about Manuel’s tool.

I have now added it to ON6ZQ | CW practice .

1 Like

RufzXP is another CW contesting program. It is extremely easy to add txt files of almost any kind thru a menu change (rather than re-naming the master dta file in Morse Runner). We have used it for words, names, short phrases, etc in addition to callsigns.

73 de K4RLC Bob

I also like the LIDS whose signals drift across your receiving frequency. The writer of that package has a great sense of humour.

@ON6ZQ Thanks for the work on this. I used your SOTA_Callhistory.txt and converted it into a CSV with Call and Name and imported it into my VK Port a Log and now I have a name that pops up when I enter calls. I used to have about 150 to 200 calls with associated name, and now I have the whole lot. Thanks for the work, this is great.

1 Like

Morse Runner is great fun. My Test is typing the call sign in a timely manner.
vk5cz …

I now added SOTA_names.csv which can be used directly by VK port-a-log.

https://www.on6zq.be/w/index.php/SOTA/Participants

After noticing this topic a few weeks ago, I started using [Windows version] Morse Runner every day since then and already it has helped me with two recent SOTA CW activations, e.g. decoding callsigns at slightly higher speeds than before. I felt quite relaxed managing a long pile-up on 30m yesterday.

Christophe, if you are considering any more SOTA optimizations in the future, I have a request: the rx’d RST appears to be fixed [at 5nn for contesting]. It would be nice if there was a ‘SOTA mode’ where this was randomized [at the moment I’m pretending the sequence number is the RST]

Thanks for a great tool.

73 Andy

1 Like

I am very honoured, but I am not the author of Morse Runner :wink:

I suggest you write directly to him at the address shown on DX Atlas: Amateur Radio software.

1 Like