Having taken part in simulated pile up contests using this type of software at HF Conventions it is great fun. The winner is the guy who accurately copies the most callsigns accurately over a given period of time - less than 3 minutes, and a scoreboard is created with a prize for the winner. The compiler always used to put varying quality of calls into the recording made up, including rough notes, QSD senders (The regular activators and chases know who these are!) and drifting signals etc. Is there any chance this style of recording can be easily made Christoph by you?
When I read your message again it seems this is not what you have in mind, but the creation of a super check partial file similar to what one may use in a contest…
You’re right… MorseRunner uses a kind of SCP file to automatically generate the calls in the mock contest. It will then also (if you wish) overlay multiple callers, QRM, QRN, QSB, lids, off frequency callers etc and all at different speeds so it’s pretty good fun and feels quite “real”.
This is a little different to the RUFZXP software approach which just cranks up the speed of the calls one at at time until you start to “fail”.
It’s the LIDS option I like. With LIDS on it’s just like being on the air.
If only the real ionosphere had a LIDS tick box you could turn off when you booted up and left the car. Then when you got back and took your boots off you unticked LIDS and the bands went back to normal.
I have now compiled a first usable version of “SOTA oriented” CallHistory.txt, master.dta (all modes and CW only), master.scp (all modes and CW only) and DXers.lst for MorseRunner, PileupRunner, N1MM+ and similar programs.
I’ll have to check this out. I am at the point where I can identify random letters and numbers 95% or better in a 15 minute window. It’s when I don’t have 3 seconds (3seconds is my default between numbers/letters), any faster than that and it all falls apart!
RufzXP is another CW contesting program. It is extremely easy to add txt files of almost any kind thru a menu change (rather than re-naming the master dta file in Morse Runner). We have used it for words, names, short phrases, etc in addition to callsigns.
@ON6ZQ Thanks for the work on this. I used your SOTA_Callhistory.txt and converted it into a CSV with Call and Name and imported it into my VK Port a Log and now I have a name that pops up when I enter calls. I used to have about 150 to 200 calls with associated name, and now I have the whole lot. Thanks for the work, this is great.
After noticing this topic a few weeks ago, I started using [Windows version] Morse Runner every day since then and already it has helped me with two recent SOTA CW activations, e.g. decoding callsigns at slightly higher speeds than before. I felt quite relaxed managing a long pile-up on 30m yesterday.
Christophe, if you are considering any more SOTA optimizations in the future, I have a request: the rx’d RST appears to be fixed [at 5nn for contesting]. It would be nice if there was a ‘SOTA mode’ where this was randomized [at the moment I’m pretending the sequence number is the RST]