Morse key poll

Morning All
Quick question for all the CW activators - Which key are you using please?
I have a bulldog key but find it a bit small and not that robust for dragging around in the rucksack, and the Bencher I use at home weighs more than the rest of the pack combined!
Thanks
Tim
G4YTD

In reply to G4YTD:
Palm Paddle

Roger MW0IDX

In reply to G4YTD:
Palm Paddle

73 de Miloš, S53X

In reply to G4YTD:

Palm Paddle.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4YTD:
Palm Paddle

73 Marc G0AZS

Thanks all.
Looks like a Palm Paddle it is then!
Pleased I “asked the audience” now.
:slight_smile:

Thanks again
Tim

In reply to G4YTD:
Hi Tim,
After starting with the ton weight Bencher from home I am now using the DCP Paddle (dirt cheap paddle) from American Morse Equipment. With the extra velcro type mounting plate and lead it weighs in at 102gm whereas the FT817 microphone weighs 172gm ! I bought the paddle in kit form. It is very easy to assemble.
David
G3RDQ

In reply to G4YTD:
Hi Tim

Palm paddle on summits (since 2006) Bencher Chrome x 2 from home since 1983.

73 Phil

In reply to G4YTD:

Hi Tim

Enter “Palm Paddle” into the search facility on the Reflector, then choose “What Morse Paddle” and you will see the results of an identical survey in June 2008.

The Palm Paddle was well ahead of any other key.

73 Roy G4SSH

In reply to G4YTD:
Home brew, two micro switches,old hacksaw blade and some plastic window sill bits, cost nil,see flika for details
73 Rob
G4RQJ

In reply to G4YTD:

There is a review of portable paddles in this month’s QST which arrived today. They review the Palm Paddle, Porta-Paddle II and Begali Magnetic Traveller Light.

The Begali weighs 18.6oz (how quaint some units from the dark ages) or 473g (for those of us who have moved on from Chaucer’s time) so I’m not sure how many people would be prepared to carry one for SOTA when a Palm Paddle weighs 85g.

For interest 473g is a significant amount of LiPo battery or nearly 1/2 a litre of water. Either of those two seem to have more value to activators doing an activation involving some real ascent or distance walked.

Andy
MM0FMF