Mind Your Step In The Mournes

It’s amazing what could be under foot in the mountains as seen here in the Mournes at the base of Slievelamagan GI/MM-006.

It’s well known that this summit was used for gun practice during WWII and walking in the area you do see many rusty fragments of metal.

Darrell GI4KSO

In reply to GI4KSO:

Snap!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mm0fmf/452889884/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mm0fmf/452889900/

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Sorry Andy, but picking it up doesn’t entirely seem too clever?

I thought the advice was as follows. This is for Dartmoor, but applies everywhere in the UK on MOD land (or what was MOD land).

“There is always a risk you could come across unexploded ordnance anywhere on the moor. Please do not touch or tamper with any strange or metal object, it may be dangerous. Leave it alone, mark and note the location, and inform the Commandant, Okehampton Camp, or the police.”

Gerald MW0WML

In reply to MW0WML:

Sorry Andy, but picking it up doesn’t entirely seem too clever?

In his defence it appears that he took the precaution of getting his mate to pick it up.

But still not the most prudent action.

In reply to MW0WML:

The fact it had no fuse or baseplate is good indication it had gone off and I was quite sure that one was safe as I had already tripped over it once.

It’s a QF 3in smoke or star shell probably fired from or by AA guns protecting the nearby East Fortune Airfield.

If I was anywhere like Dartmoor, Mickle Fell or Cape Wrath etc. or somewhere where you see “Danger Area” on the OS map I’d not be touching it. But considering the thump my boot gave it, if it was sensitive to vibration I’d already be lacking a limb.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
OK, understand your reasoning. But can we at least agree that the standard approach should be that you do not pick anything metal up that even looks vaguely like a piece of military hardware, even if you have just tripped over it?

Vast tracts of upland Britain have in the past been used for practice firing and all sorts of other things. Even if they aren’t ranges now you can still find a lot of stuff.

If you happen to be an expert in Ordnance then as the saying goes “fill your boots”…

Gerald
MW0WML

In reply to MW0WML:

Shall we say even having thumped it with my boot, initial inspection was very circumspect. You only have yourself to blame if you’re not circumspect enough!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
“But considering the thump my boot gave it, if it was sensitive to vibration I’d already be lacking a limb. “
”- if its dropped once, you can drop twice”, doesent apply to UXOs
But, the fuze looks like a time-fuze, and with the basplate missing, its most likely a lump of metal, but why take the risk…