Maui KH6/MA-001 RED HILL

Hello everyone,
I just returned from a trip to Maui, activated RED HILL KH6/MA-001.
Thought I would share a little bit about the trip that included Covid restrictions, the summit and flying with a radio/battery/antenna.
I flew Southwest Airlines. Carried on the Yaesu 857d, two laptops (Work and Play) and a Bioenno 12v 6ah 72watt battery PN BLF-1206A .
COVID Restrictions for flying to Hawaii were very specific, Pre testing was an option, but you may not get your results soon enough to board the flight. We had both shots, had to upload our records to Safe Travels Hawaii and complete a questionnaire 24hrs prior to our flight. We flew out of Tucson to San Diego, Prior to boarding in San Diego we were required to verify all info., some travelers were having issues with documentation and were not allowed to board, there is also a 10day quarantine in Maui should you get there and have an issue. Maui was a mask requirement community, with signs for fines.
Southwest required each laptop and the radio be in separate bins for X-Ray. Battery was pulled out for inspection, all they did was read the label and placed in back in the bin.
Biggest issue was a folding Allen wrench set I had with the radio, the thought it might have been a weapon, but allowed it following a discussion.
I had the ATAS-120a antenna with 5 counterpoise wires in my packed baggage. The ATAS Allowed me several frequencies if needed, touch tunning capabilities and with the claw attachment would be easy to set up. From the looks of my bag, the antenna was removed for inspection going both ways (I think it may have looked like a gun), I had it tagged with the model # and identified it as an antenna.

Red Hill KH6/MA-001 is also a park #K-0036 at 10,000’.
I was in Maui for Thanksgiving, temp at the beach was 81*, I was in shorts and took a light jacket with me. 1.5hr drive up a very windy road that was in great shape, average is about 15-20mph.
Park entrance fee was $30.00 and good for three days.
Reservations are required if you try and get into the Park prior to 7:30am as the tour buses are running up the mountain. Lots of bicyclist on the road. About 3/4 of the way up you will most likely pass a group of hitch hikers, they have parked their car and are looking for a ride to the summit so they can hike the crater trail back down to their car. I picked up 3, they had never heard of Ham Radio or SOTA.

I parked in the last parking lot at the peak, took a quick hike around the area to look for an ideal place to operate from. First thing I noticed is it was colder than I expected, I found out afterwards it was 40*, then the wind, at least 15mph but the gusts were much more powerful. Windchill was 33*. This was a gamechanger as I was not prepared (It’s Hawaii - - - - - ).
I had found a 4’ ledge off to the west side with a trail running just below it, I lightly clamped the ATAS-120a to a lava rock, let the counterpoise rest below as to not gather any attention or cross the hike path and fired up the radio.
The battery is only rated 6amp continuous, 12a Max peak discharge. Although I did not have a meter to properly measure the amperage, the radio showed 13.1vdc with a drop to 12.8 when transmitting, had the radio set at 100w. Display on the radio showed full power when transmitting as well, I expect I was doing pretty good under the circumstances.
12.25.2021 9am, Antenna tuned 20m, I did a band sweep with only one station heard, 14.270ssb and it sounded like South America. My calls for CQ SOTA went unanswered. I then posted in SOTAWATCH for 18.142ssb, antenna tuned in seconds. This proved to be the best band and was suggested by Keith KR7RK prior to my trip.
Contacts were all west coast, California, Oregan, Washington and Arizona. Actually made the trip into Tucson (We live 20miles south of Tucson).
Contacts: WW7D, NS7P, K6YK, W6TDX, K6HPX, KF6HI & WB6POT.
After making the 7 contacts the cold had gotten the better of me, I had been trembling and had difficulty logging the contacts on my phone, then I stopped shaking and suddenly I felt warm, this concerned me… I quickly packed up and headed for the car.
On the way down the mountain, rain at about 9000’, then the feeling returned to my fingers, this was a painful 20 minutes or so.
All in all, a great experience and addition to my Maui trip. I recommend it to everyone.

73 everyone.
Bud KI7OFL.

12 Likes

Good show, Bud!

And good sigs into AZ.

All Best, Ken

Very interested in the performance of the ATAS on a summit, never really thought of using it.
You were right to take heed of the warmth, sounds very much like tipping over from onset hypothermia into the real deal. I once participated in a new years day dip in Lake Windermere, and felt wonderful for about 20 minutes before the reality of the situation took several hours to play out.

Regards, Mark. M0NOM

Hi Bud,

I had full intentions of listening for you at your alerted time which was convenient for me (7AM) but I didn’t make it. I’m very interested in the configuration of your antenna, I think your pix show the radials attached at the base but I’m assuming you spread them out in 3 directions?

Nice pix of the surroundings.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

1 Like

Got the idea of using the ATAS after seeing the results Paul K9PM was getting from his set up while in Portugal. My set up was rather crude, but the 2800mile trip back to Tucson was the best I could hope for. I will be working on perfecting this set up for the next trip out.

1 Like

Hello Andrew. No such luck on the radials being spread out. The plastic housing around the wires was very stiff in the cold, I also had a trail a couple of feet from my position, no way to spread them out without causing a hazard. Did not want to get asked to leave or cause an accident. The radials were simply resting below the antenna.
Picture doesn’t Truely represent the awkward position I was in on this ledge.

1 Like

Man I wish I had worked you Bud! Sounds like you had a great time up there.
Keith KR7RK

Thanks Bud, great report and photos. Thanks for sharing. :smiley:

Cheers, Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Keith, almost like you were there as your advice paid off. Had I relied on 20m (Like I do in AZ) I would have walked away with 0 contacts. Thanks again!

Bud

That’s certainly an awkward situation. I think even having one radial up the slope and the other two down it would create a workable ground system. It can make a big difference to how the antenna works. However, all theory aside, you managed to qualify the summit and make a few chasers very happy. Job done!

If you look at the layout suggested by some manufacturers, they suggest using just one radial stretched out fully, the antenna then resembles an L shaped centre fed system. Buddistick for example.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

2 Likes

Thx for chasing me on this Peak, was glad to have made the trip back to Tucson! Thats 2900 miles.

2 Likes

What an amazingly barren landscape. Thanks for sharing the pics!

1 Like

Hi Bud! So happy the ATAS-120A worked out well for you and that you were able to run full power to reach the mainland. Good work and congratulations!

Paul K9PM

2 Likes

In August 2014 I could activate Red Hill using a similar vertical antenna. QSOs on 20m and 17m with 15W.

4 Likes

A nice illustration of the rule of thumb that temperature drops 5.4 degrees F for every 1,000 foot gain of elevation. :thinking: So in this case, the 81 degrees F was at the beach which is at sea level (say 0 feet ASL) and the summit is 3055 meters = 10,022 feet ASL.

Then 81 - (5.4 x 10) = 27 deg F. That would be the temperature range to plan for in a future activation. Looks like you were lucky – it wasn’t quite that cold! But it was in the neighborhood.

Anyway, congratulations on the activation! I was fortunate enough to visit the observatories on the Mauna Kea summit, but it was many years ago and long before I ever heard of SOTA.

3 Likes

Thanks Paul, I know with a little work this antenna and the 857d will be my new favorite combination.
Bud KI7OFL

Great looking position on the summit.

Bud KI7OFL

I plan to activate Haleakala (Red Hill) over the XMAS holiday, probably on the 29th. I will post my Alert when I have a firm date. Apparently, cell coverage is spotty on the summit so I will probably search for Bud’s spot. I will be only running 10W from a IC-705, but I will probably have a longwire antenna. Anchoring the pole looks to be an issue. I have seen pictures of people strapping their pole to a sign, but i think that is on the northeast side (where coverage may not be good).

Scott
AK5SD

1 Like

Scott,
I will have the radio on that day. Interesting that you are taking the IC-705 as that was my original plan (To make it easier getting through the airport and to save the battery). Then I started second guessing myself as I thought I would be better off with 100w. Looking forward to seeing how you do.

Bud
KI7OFL

1 Like

I don’t have a 100W portable radio or I would take it. I would prefer to work as many stations as possible, but I should be able to at least get 4 in the log (I hope).

Scott
AK5SD