Matt K0MOS is NA's Newest Mountain Goat

Congratulations to Matt K0MOS!today he topped the 1000 points mark. it was always much fun to activate the OE / DL and HB0 Alps with him.

Welcome to the herd :slight_smile: määh

73, Herbert OE9HRV

In reply to OE9HRV:
I would like to extend my congratulations to Matt as well. Great job…Keep it going Matt!..Always fun chasing you…

Dennis - WA2USA

In reply to OE9HRV:
Thanks Matt for the Activations and all the climbing for us chasers. All the best to you and your family. 72 de Scotty

Yikes, it’s raining mountain goats :wink:

Congratualtions Matt!

73, Barry N1EU

In reply to N1EU:

All,

Since I live in the same general region as Matt, I can verify that getting 1000 activator points while based in Colorado is a big deal. Getting points in W0C is very hard, because the average altitude is so high that the point groups are several times higher than in most other regions.

Matt has been out there in all kinds of weather, hiking up trails washed away by floods, bushwhacking through thickets and burned-out forests, and finding routes for many first activations.

Most of our high summits don’t have easy access, and above 3000M, the thin air makes any activation progressively more difficult. There is often dangerous weather as well, and sometimes it’s miles to safety from lightning. Matt has set a high standard by activating many difficult peaks, sometimes two in one day, and he usually is successful!

Congratulations Matt!

George Carey Fuller

KX0R

Congrats, Matt, for such impressive milestone and thank you for the HB0 summit you gave me this morning.
I hope to QSO with you again soon.
Best 73 de Guru - EA2IF

In reply to EA2IF:

Great job, Matt. I know my chasing log has countless K0MOS entries. Keep up the good work.

Phil, NS7P

In reply to OE9HRV:
Congratulations Matt on making Mountain Goat status. Thanks for all the activations and points. We’re getting a significant number of Mountain Goats here in the US and that’s great. Good job Matt. See you on the next summit.

Gary A. - W0MNA

Congratulations Matt on achieving Mountain Goat.

Jimmy M0HGY/MM

Just looked in the log and our first chase of you was January 2012 in Estes Park. The most recent was two days ago in Austria. Thank you and congratulations.
Merle and Herm
KB1RJD and KB1RJC

In reply to OE9HRV:
Outstanding Matt!!!. Colorado’s first Mountain Goat.

Frank
K0JQZ

I agree with everything Carey said below. When I first got interested in SOTA, Matt (who lives close by) was patient and thorough in explaining his particular equipment setup and considerations for my own activations. I haven’t activated as much as I’d like, but Matt’s trip reports are an incredible resource and inspirations for novice activators.

Congrats on the achievement, Matt!

Scott ADØEO

In reply to KX0R:

In reply to N1EU:

All,

Since I live in the same general region as Matt, I can verify that
getting 1000 activator points while based in Colorado is a big deal.
Getting points in W0C is very hard, because the average altitude is so
high that the point groups are several times higher than in most other
regions.

Matt has been out there in all kinds of weather, hiking up trails
washed away by floods, bushwhacking through thickets and burned-out
forests, and finding routes for many first activations.

Most of our high summits don’t have easy access, and above 3000M, the
thin air makes any activation progressively more difficult. There is
often dangerous weather as well, and sometimes it’s miles to safety
from lightning. Matt has set a high standard by activating many
difficult peaks, sometimes two in one day, and he usually is
successful!

Congratulations Matt!

George Carey Fuller

KX0R

Well done Matt!

73 Richard G3CWI

In reply to OE9HRV:

Yet ANOTHER North American GOAT! WOW!!! Great Job!

Congrats Matt for your achievement. I’ll bet you even had fun while doing it.

c u in the hills

Pete
Wa7JTM

In reply to OE9HRV:
Thanks Herbert and thanks for all the fun we had on our 26 joint activations in 5 Associations over the last three years. It was always a pleasure to hike and learn from you.

73, and I hope for an S2S in the near future.

Matt/K0MOS

Thanks to all for their congratulations and kind words. It was only possible due to very dedicated Chasers. Starting out as a ham and SOTA Activator almost three years ago at the bottom of the sun cycle, we only had a few Chasers in NA. I could always count on WA2USA, NS7P and N4EX to pull my weak SSB signal out of the noise. Getting a successful activation into the log was by no means guaranteed back then but these outstanding Chasers were (almost) always with me on a summit providing important Thanks a lot guys.

I also met some amazing OM during my travels. Activating 11 associations, I received a lot of help from local Activators. They are a great resource with tips and info hard to come by from afar, and more than once I received VIP treatment beyond believe. There are too many to list but you know who you are - Thanks a bunch, I hope I can pay back your kindness at some point in the future.

I reached the goal I set for myself when I started out (A peak every week and MG within three years) and it is now time to set some new goals.

All the best and I hope to hear you on the next summit.

Matt/K0MOS

Great job Matt! Hope to get out for an activation or two with you someday.

Mike - ke5akl

In reply to KE5AKL:
Thanks Mike.

Matt/ K0MOS

In reply to K0MOS:
Congratulations Matt. Always a pleasure to work you.

73 de n4mj//Glenn

Congrats Matt, you’ve hard-earned your Mountain Goat!
Best 73 de Fred – DL9MDI