Map of "Drive up" summits in the South East US

When I travel, sometimes I want a easy summit, as I may not have time to do a full hike. I find it difficult to find some of the “drive ups”. Also, this could help those handicapped or those that are not quite in shape to do a big hike.

With the help of Jimmy Dean Blair, K2JB and many of the W4SOTA Campout group, I have put together a list of drive up summits in the SE USA. I am sure this will be an on going project, and I am sure I don’t have them all. If you click on one of the summit, it gives you the name, location, the ability to get directions, and summit points including winter bonus if so applicable. I want to add links to the SOTA web site for each summit, but have not gotten that far yet.

I am going to figure a way to get this published.

Here is a still of the map so far. I have the KML file and spread sheet I hope to add to files here. If you are aware of more in the SE please let me know.

Kent K9EZ

13 Likes

Here is the link to the spreadsheet.

3 Likes

And here is a link to the map for viewing.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/edit?mid=1JPDeCfGjFoAVlJlXkXvCPxv5-SvDOt4&usp=sharing

2 Likes

Outstanding so far, Kent. Gives me some ideas for summit guides.
Stay well & 73!
Mike, WB2FUV

2 Likes

Few more from VA…

Reddish Knob and Flagpole Knob (W4V/HB-002/003 respectively) are drive-ups, though the latter requires a vehicle with ground clearance. Both are just outside Harrisonburg, VA.

You have this one, but it should have a note.
Poor Mtn, W4V/RA-003, is mostly a drive up but requires a hike for the last few hundred yards (pretty sure the AZ does not extend down to the point you can drive up to). Also, the last few miles are via a dirt service road. While it’s smooth, if the weather is wet, icy, or snowy, you may need 4wd to get there safely. Also, some of the radio towers there put out enough power to warrant serious warning signs rather than the normal “keep out” variety (one says to not linger due to RF).

Near Roanoke, Little Brush Mtn, W4V/RA-045, is a drive up.

I think W4MAF is working on a list of VA drive-ups, you might contact him for his entries.

BTW, I might be doing Poor Mtn and Little Brushy Mtn this weekend while in Roanoke. :slight_smile:

Chris

3 Likes

Thanks for the summits! :smiley:

Hopefully some others will do this in their regions. If someone needs help let me know. Perhaps we can combine areas as well.

Kent K9EZ

2 Likes

Hi Kent,
Not related to US Summits but here in Germany, when I find a summit that is handicapped accessible I add a one-line note on the Summit information page - here is an example:

If others would do the same, the accessibility of particular summits to people with handicaps would be clearer.

73 Ed DD5LP

4 Likes

A possible issue with that approach Ed, is that ‘disability’ covers such a broad spectrum of needs. I think you’d be better being more specific in what you mean eg ‘drive on/car/4WD/rock climber access to within AZ’. I certainly agree that the summit information page is and should be the main source of information. I always look there before going to a new summit, but rarely bother to search the reflector for any useful info.

I like the idea Kent, I sometimes find myself searching for similar criteria during my travels. Pursuing my belief about ‘single sources of information’ (I used to write policies for a living :cry:), I wonder whether a better long-term solution would be to incorporate your information as a filter in an existing resource such as SOTLAS (@HB9DQM ). I appreciate that is more complex and outside your control.

2 Likes

Andy , Read Wheelchair access possible for those summits that I have documented.

4 Likes

I think adding to an existing resource is a great idea. I would be happy to help get this incorporated. Not sure how to do it however. It would be great to be able to filter for “Dive Up” Or “Wheelchair Access” and bring up all of the summits related.

If anyone knows how I can flag summits to do that, Please let me know.

Kent K9EZ

1 Like

[Map of “drive up” summits in the South East US]

Great resource, thank you. Gives you ideas for the next big leap across the pond :slight_smile:
But this year, it will be Canada, the Maritime Provinces. Planning is underway, hopefully I can squeeze in some summits.

By the way, for Switzerland, our club HB9SOTA has a page concerning “cable car summits”:
https://hb9sota.ch/en/swiss-cable-car-summits/

73 de Martin / HB9GVW

3 Likes

Please wait for some weeks. I think there is something in the development for the SOTAsummit pages.
Not seen it myself but I think you might be covered with that ideas.

73 Joe

2 Likes

@K9EZ Very cool Kent!!

Might even be a 1/2 MG point count in that lot.

Paul

2 Likes

Sounds good! I will do what I can to help!

If anyone else has “Drive up” summits in their area I can add it to the spreadsheet

Kent K9EZ

1 Like