Mag loop

Greetings one and all.
Recently knocked up a 20m 22mm copper pipe Mag loop but with a trombone slider cap variable.
Been operating of it for past week or so. Been chasing Sotas on CT EA OK HB LA S5 and even into SV9 and SV off it .

Well happy with it working 20m so wel even hearing Vks and States side of late also.
great little antenna 2020m if you not got a lot of room as only about 1.5m in Dia and works well 9ft/3m of the ground or at mo 38ft and 10m as it is now.

And cons are not to bad at mo should be more fun when bands get better along with the rising solar cycle.

Now working on this one 2m dia double for lower bands.

2E0FEH KERNOW

10 Likes

I’ve recently been trying a 2E0ERO 10-20 at home indoors. Managed to TX to Slovenia on 5w and listened to VK. Really surprised me how good it is and may take it up a hill tomorrow to try out.

3 Likes

I’ve used this less sophisticated loop on 20 and 17. Flat aluminum bar, gamma fed using an old broadcast band air variable all mounted on a broomstick.

My kids cringe when I bring it to the beach;-)

6 Likes

We have new requirements on RF-exposure assessment since May 2021. Calculating near fields from magnetic loop is possible but lengthy. See for example Kai Siwiak, KE4PT and Richard Quick, W4RQ
QEX July/August 2018.

I tried to make simple probes for the H- and E-fields at these low frequencies. My experiments are in github.

73, Jaakko ac1bb/oh7bf

1 Like

Hi Karl. Thanks for the QSO on High Willhays the other day. The loop sounded good to me.

I was filming for my YouTube channel at the time & used the clip of our QSO in the video. I hope you don’t mind

Link to the video below if you want to see how you sounded (exactly 5 minutes into the video if you want to skip my rambling):-

3 Likes

Hi James, great video report. Thanks. :smiley:

73 Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Thanks Geoff. Glad you liked it.

Short writeup on my magnetic loop experiments (American woodcraft).

73, Jaakko ac1bb/oh7bf

1 Like