M0ydh mg

I am amazed and delighted that 8 other SOTA activators asked or chose to come to the summit on the day. The group photo left to right. Ann-Charlotte - my wife, John Messenger M0XOT, Matt Porter G8XYJ (MG), Rob G7LAS, my Dad John [veteren of 60+ activations - very patient] , Mickey Hunter 2E0YYY, me seated, John Humphreys M0JZH, Gerald Davison MW0WML (MG), Allan Jones GW4VPX (MG) and Alastair Hopkins M0TYM
David M0YDH

1 Like

Hello everyone and many thanks for your best wishes.

It was a wonderful and remarkable occasion which I’d delayed till the day before my 49th birthday. :grinning:

I’ve been in SOTA for 8 years since the very first QSO I made as a licenced radio amateur in December 2008. I called CQ on the Wrekin to see if what they’d said on the Foundation course about height and range was true and had a reply from Simon MW1AVV/p saying something about summits and “was I near the Trig Point?”. It turned out my first ever QSO was a SOTA summit to summit with Simon on GW/MW-026. Actually I made 4 contacts but didn’t have a pencil and paper with me so only remembered the first one.
I’ve made 277 activations and IIRC 198 uniques mainly in England and Wales. 3 in DL/MF were excellent with the best views yet. 2 in Denmark, 1 in France and 1 in Skaane (Sweden) twice make up the rest. The joint activations were fantastic and the source of deep friendships. Completing activating Lake District G/LD with my Dad John has been the best bit by far, clocking up 90 Wainwright and outlying fells activations in WOTA on the way.

Mountain Goat day. You know it’s a big deal when 3 Goats:- Gerald, Matt and Allan write to ask if they may join in and accompany me up the Wrekin. Very touching. (Matt and I did ask Geoff 2E0BTR to come along because he’s been very important in my SOTA story and is super bloke but he wasn’t free). Adding my family, including our sons Tom M6GGZ and Peter M6EMP, and Val Jones and Sue Davidson we had a party of 11. I booked the £8/head buffet at the Huntsman in Little Wenlock as I wanted to have my birthday party afterwards. It was first rate by the way.

On top we were in the clouds and getting damp. I set up my usual, home made aerial using my SOTA trained sons and plugged in Alastair M0TYM’s 857 to add more than my usual 4W. I anticipated difficulties from the deaf contesters on 40m. Allan urged me “Cer ar chwech deg medr Dei!” so I opened the batting on old channel FE 5.3985 MHz. G3VOT, EI3GYB, the gentle voice of Frank G3RMD and following the phrase “I need a fourth contact”, Radio Devon and my No.1 chaser [102 contacts] Don G0RQL. This you can see in Gerald’s excellent film. I was very happy and the existing members of the Goat herd all cheered! Oh the clouds parted to reveal a view - you couldn’t make it up. I made 6 more contacts on 60m and completed 4 more on the congested 40m. The 5th was a paltry contester who disappeared after I asked for his name and other civilities! He’s not in the log. No free frequency on 20m so was unable to say Ola Manuel to EA2DT which would have been glorious. I transferred to Alan’s 2m station after they’d hoovered up most of the contacts on the band and made 5 more of my own. Then there was another wonder. The Second Sitting of Activators came up the hill! Complete suprise! Thank you to Rob G7LAS, Mickey 2E0YYY, John M0JZH and John M0XOT. Happily I’d cocked up the times so there were only 3 stations active at once. Sorry about that. After the group photo and FB signed birthday card we packed up and left the new fellows the hill. I gather they had a very good VHF session.

There you are. Splendid awards programme. Lovely people and Great Chasers at home and on the Hill. Am I alone enjoying being the centre of radio attention on a lovely hilltop free from electrical noise with a mere 5 watts when I do an activation? 22 more summits to visit in North Wales and lot more Wainwights with Dad. Just no more Corndon Hill in an icy chill!

David M0YDH

Allan VPX, Gerald WML & Alastair TYM. Sue D looks on.

9 Likes

Lovely report David, a pleasure to be able to accompany you yesterday - penblwydd hapus for today.

1 Like

Just arrived home to see your report David. Excellent… It was one of my best SOTA days meeting and seeing so many like minded enthusiasts enjoying radio and having a good time. I told you they would be waiting for you on 60m even though I did mess up the spot initially :slight_smile: …73 Allan

PS. More pics on my blog in the next few days.

3 Likes

Thanks for the who’s-who break-down and the super report David. Sounds like you all had a smashing time!

73, Simon

2 Likes

Well done Dai!

Pleasure to accompany you on Saturday!! Welcome to the Herd.

A great write up of the day.

Matt G8XYJ

1 Like

Congratulations on achieving Mountain Goat David!

What a way to achieve Mountain Goat status too, with all those joining you on the summit. I was hoping to join the Mountain Goat herd myself this year but it hasn’t happened due to lack of time, although I think I’ve had my best ever year for points.

73, Colin

3 Likes

Congratulations David, well done!

Roger MW0IDX

1 Like

That’s a fine gathering of famous faces David! Many congratulations on your MG and here’s to the next :wink:

Hearty 73 de Paul G4MD

3 Likes