M0JLA failed activation of Sugar Loaf

In reply to M0JLA:

I intend continuing to report readability as perceived and signal strength as >measured.

Well if you give S0 reports you’ll have to accept many of your QSO partners will not enter the QSO in their logs as you’re reporting it as an incomplete exchange.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
The alternative is to adjust the S-meter so that it reads S1 for the background noise in a quiet location. I think I am right in saying that this can be done with the “hidden menu” in the FT-8*7 series of rigs.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Colin’s comment about calibration is very apt Brian. In olden days you had to get the spanners out to alter the S-meter calibration. On modern software managed rigs it’s no more than holding a few buttons and twiddling a selector knob. Et voila… even more meaningless S-meter numbers.

And we all know, every ham knows better than the manufacturer when it comes to calibrating/tweeking/adjusting/butchering (select as appropriate) his radio.

Andy
MM0FMF

On two of my Radio’s the S1 level on the ‘meter’ is the 3rd segment on the scale (IC-910H and FT-950), using this a reported X1 signal is thus anything that falls lower than this level on the meter.

I tend to report more on how clear and strong it sounds than what is actually indicated on the ‘meter’.