Lost dog on on St Sunday Crag

As a keen dog owner. Lots of things to comment here. A favourite with some local walkers is leaving their little bags hanging in trees until somebody else collects them. That makes me so cross. I have a “dicky bag” for putting the waste in when I am out. See dickybag.com ! I have seen this on the walk up Bredon Hill too.

Long leads: The very long leads are designed for training. Basically let your puppy have the run of area a 30ft diameter whilst you teach them recall. Should not be used for walking. I do use flexi extendable leads where necessary, i.e. where the dog has to be on a lead. My dogs are trained to walk close to me off lead and not to chase livestock etc. Unfortunately, one has taken to chasing the Chinook helicopters than fly low where we live. He always comes back very quickly when called but I make sure he is on his lead if I hear helicopters about.

I make several assumptions.

1. All dogs including mine will chase livestock given the chance. Dogs are always on lead around liestock.
  2. Other people will not like my dogs
  3. If I can’t see them, I have lost control.
  4. I should always put them on a lead when in new areas or if other walkers are about.
  5. Never ever leave bags of poo anywhere other than the correct bins.
  6. If I tie a dog to a trig point, it will wind its way around it once or twice until it can’t move.
  7. If I am going to use a flexi where other people are about it will be a fluorescent yellow one - all the way to the dog.

I had one with me yesterday on G/CE001 he was more interested in me and the radio than anything or anybody else including the other dogs that came to annoy us.

I’ll get off my soapbox now…

2 Likes

I disagree, especially after this morning’s emergency stop when the dog ran out in front of me - still attached to the lead. It survived - not bad reactions for a guy in his 70’s

3 Likes

My understanding of long dog leads come from a couple dog-training schools and a guide dog school.
Lengthening a lead is to allow the dog room to defecate and urinate. At all other times the dog is to be kept on a short leash walking close to the owner’s side.
The liability for injuring someone because the lead was extended is great.

4 Likes

I saw this notice at the start point for Gun G/SP-013. If anyone if planning to walk their dog up this hill, please take notice of this.

Jimmy M0HGY

2 Likes

(Off Topic - Sorry) I think^ that is a Sinpe Jimmy. We lived for six months at a house called Honeypot (UK Grid Ref NY 82879 31668 ) and on one occasion I wrestled one from the mouth of our cat! It lived! (The Bird and the Cat). There was also the morning where I staggered downstairs in the direction of coffee and a bit like in the film “The Life of Brian” was somewhat suprised to see a minibus full of twitchers with an improbably large number of cameras about 10 feet from the front door! Our spell in Honeypot also got my interest in radio back as I was spmewhat suprised by a Sporadic E opening bringing in an italilian station on 94 MHz…
PS I keep the dog on a lead as he helps pull me up the hill!

Paul

I’m not an expert but I think it is a whimbrel, a smaller relative of a curlew.

Its a Curlew.

Whimbrel only breed in the UK in the far NW of Scotland. They do look similiar to Curlews but have much shorter looking bills…
A snipe has also been mentioned. But Snipe are much smaller and have long straight bills.

I’d have said it was a curlew but that photo seems to show a dark eye stripe.

The one I removed from the cat was definatly a Snipe - I had the chance to get quite a close view!

( The Curlews are flying about wonderfully whan I walk the dog (On a lead) at 6-30in the morning!

Paul

I just worked John GW4TQE/P on MW-027 Moel y Golfa. I looked back at my blog for that summit to remind me where John was and realised when I was there some years ago we also found a lost dog with a happy ending! Story here

Snipes - yes like to see them take up when walking in the countryside, often a pair on the ground which one disturbs as you go. Cannot be helped. The immediate defensive zig-zag when they take flight seems a common trait.

73 Phil

1 Like