Longest walk for a single activation point?

Ah but that is for 10pts. 9 hours hiking for 10pts is 1.11pts/hr. Mine was about 0.22pts/hr !

I visited the Grand Canyon South rim back in 2001. I was not at all fit and very much fatter in those days. What stunned me was that I found it really hard work wandering about at 7500ft or so. Any kind of incline left me gasping for air. It just shows that acclimatisation is essential for high summits.

I think VK long walks may take the win here as not only are they long and maybe hot but there’s likely to be gazillions of things that only have to look at you for their venom to cause a horrible death. There’ll be bears and cougars and snakes in the USA but, let’s be honest here, Australia is king when it comes to bad-ass local fauna :wink:

I think VK long walks may take the win here as not only are they long and maybe hot but there’s likely to be gazillions of things that only have to look at you for their venom to cause a horrible death. There’ll be bears and cougars and snakes in the USA but, let’s be honest here, Australia is king when it comes to bad-ass local fauna

Don’t forget about the midges in Scotland though. I’m sure some folk have been tempted to throw themselves over an edge to escape them…

3 Likes

So funny, I think some of my SOTA friends in OE have the same avoidance as you Andy.

If you pluck up the courage to visit VK I’d be happy to show you around VK1 and parts of VK2.

Andrew VK1AD

1 Like

It’s not courage that’s stopping me Andrew, it’s a lack of vacation days. There just isn’t enough time off to do everything. However, I have started the retirement clock… 4yrs 9months full time remaining then switching to part time.

Your generous offer noted, thank you.

Oh! Thanks for the reminder. :thinking: I forgot I had to return to this one some time in the distant future.

We attempted this one from the same starting point, March 2012. We got about 7km in, 2 hours walking and Cat decided to tell me she hadn’t been feeling well for about an hour (good at hiding it she is!) so turned around and headed home.

Our plan was to go to Carleatheran, activate, head back and I would head over to Stronend while Cat wandered back to the car and her book - probably sleep actually.

As I do not log my expeditions each and every walk to a SOTA summit is even a “0 point adventure” for me. :wink:

Till now my hardest expedition was a walk of 2 x 12 km from Almsee (600 m) up to Rotgschirr (2261 m) and back.

Height difference: roughly 1660 m
Overall duration: 13;45 hours

What made things a bit special: On my way back I met 2 completely dehydrated students and shared all my drinking water with them. Fortunately I managed to guide them down to the parking area at Almsee - very, very slowly!

73, Alfred, OE5AKM

3 Likes

Yah, the Bears in most of the lower 48 are not too much of an issue… W7M, W7I, Alaska, VE* are where you have the biggest worries Do not forget the Moose. Sometimes the moose are meaner then the Griz ;-). But yah, when I hiked Mt Warning/VK2/NR-001 I definitely spent more time looking up and out for spiders and such then I do when trekking the Sierra :smiley:

Not much compared to your treks for just one point.
today I went to mount I canti I / LO-432 from Rossera 350mt, walking along a fantastic and ancient path, skirting medieval dry-stone walls.
I complete the activation in 17 and 30mt cw with wire thrown on the trees and radial put on the ground.
once activated the top I continued to the church of Santa Barbara, while to return to the parking I walked an alternative path that runs along the mountain coast. 8 total kilometers and about 500 meters in altitude.
this is my maximum for just one point !! very satisfied!!

Roberto iw2obx

28.4 km, 1220 m gain in round trip. 2 pts, Mt Sizer, Ca. That works out to 1 pt/ 14 km, or 1 pt per 610 m, or 21.4 m/(Km-pts).

Your peak: 1 pt / 18KM, 1 pt/ 363m, or a total of 20.1667m/(Km-pts).

We will need a fine definition of this award.
N6IZ

Many years ago I did the Lyke Wake Walk, a forty mile route from Osmotherly to Ravenscar in the North Yorks Moors, done in the traditional way between Sunrise and Sunset in mid summer. There was no SOTA in those days, but if I was foolish enough to repeat it today it would pass over two single point summits giving an average of twenty miles per summit. Those who complete the walk are called “Dirgers” after the Lyke Wake Dirge (This aye night, this aye night, every night an’ all!)

Anybody up for the challenge of becoming a SOTA Dirger? Forty miles for two points?

1 Like

Hi Brian

Several of my friends in our walking club have completed the Lyke Wake. It is still a popular long distance walk in North Yorkshire this time of year and passes within 10 miles fo my house. I’ve never fancied doing it, preferring the Yorkshire 3 peaks. One friend has done it 10 times over the years, including once the opposite way, ending in Osmotherley. You will know the name (Now late) of Bill Cowley who came up with the idea.

73 Phil

1 Like

My first Sota was Creu de Saba, I made it without approach with car, directly walking from muy home to summit. 20,36 kms

Wikiloc | Ruta Monistrol de Montserrat Cruz de Saba (Monistrol de Montserrat Cruz de Saba) en #wikiloc

Here’s three but they don’t really count as they’re not 1-pointers.

Slioch - GM/NS-011: 1,150m (3,772ft) - 19 km (11.9 miles)
Suilven - GM/NS-060: 780m (2,600ft) - 21 km (13.1 miles)
Creag Mhor - GM/NS-065: 722m (2,369ft) - 19.4 km (12.1-miles)
All are a fair way though,
John

2 Likes

My longest 1-pt summit was 22.4 km round trip, with about 1280m of vertical round trip (W6/NC-242). That activation was nearly a disaster since one piece of coax I had brought had an intermittent connector. Luckily my little MFJ whip saved the day.

My longest 2-pt peak was 36.8 km total (W6/CC-062). That was far from the shortest route however. The second time I did it I started on the other side of the mountain and only walked 7.7 km.

Neither of those was particularly hard though, since they were on trails the whole way. I’ve done shorter hikes that required much more effort to bushwhack up to the summit.

2 years ago I went to do VE2/GA-004 Mont Albert in Quebec. I was carrying my UK/RT320 and Ancilliries weighing about 30 lbs. We hiked 6km and vertical 875m to the peak only to find out it wasn’t the peak. The peak was actually 4km away to the south west and no one was allowed there as it was caribou sanctuary. So we continued the round trip back…another 11 km. What…a…bummer. :laughing: