Logging JS8 contacts

(One for Andrew VK3ARR)
How do I log a JS8 contact?
Tried to upload a chaser CSV where one contact had MODE=JS8 and an error was reported.
Also tried in ADIF with MODE=MFSK SUBMODE=JS8 and also got the error.
As JS8 is a standard mode in ADIF 3.0.9 that predates the new SOTA database, why is it rejected?

73, Gerard - VK2IO

1 Like

In SOTA the mode for the database would be “DATA” as far as I know.

73 Joe

1 Like

The modes you can log are the same that you can spot, AM, CW, Data, DV, Fm, SSB & Other. You log it as DATA.

Why is it rejected? Because it’s not one of the modes your can spot. You can place a comment in the comments/notes field to the exact mode being used if you like. There is no plan to add the “Tower of Babel” digital modes as individual logging options as the modes change faster than many people change their socks!

Thanks chaps.
Curious that there’s active resistance to making log import ADIF compliant - there’s no “DATA” mode in ADIF. The modes that SOTA can spot do not relate to the ADIF spec. Perhaps the import format should be called the SOTA XML format rather than ADIF.
It would be good to have a step-by-step guide for chasers on hacking an ADIF file exported from a logging program into SOTA XML format. On the other hand I always thought the computer was supposed to be in the service of the human, not the other way around.

73, Gerard

Well, I wouldn’t go that far. It’s more finite time versus the long list of digital modes that would need to be converted. I may have a swing at it at some point in the future, but I have higher priorities right now.

Maybe a little conversion table is half of the work done?

Everyone interested have a look and correct error pls. I guess most are data but I am to new in amateur radio to know them by heart.

ADIF mode,SOTA mode
AM,AM
AMTORFEC,DATA
AMTORFEC,DATA
ARDOP,DATA
ASCI,DATA
ASCI,DATA
ATV,OTHER
C4FM,DV
CHIP,DATA
CHIP128,DATA
CHIP128,DATA
CHIP64,DATA
CHIP64,DATA
CLO,DATA
CONTESTI,DATA
CW,CW
DIGITALVOICE,DV
DOMINO,DATA
DOMINOEX,DATA
DOMINOF,DATA
DOMINOF,DATA
DSTAR,DV
FAX,DATA
FM,FM
FMHELL,DATA
FMHELL,DATA
FSK31,DATA
FSK31,DATA
FSK441,DATA
FSKHELL,DATA
FSQCALL,DATA
FT4,DATA
FT8,DATA
GTOR,DATA
GTOR,DATA
HELL,DATA
HELL80,DATA
HELL80,DATA
HFSK,DATA
HFSK,DATA
ISCAT,DATA
ISCAT-A,DATA
ISCAT-B,DATA
JS8,DATA
JT4,DATA
JT44,DATA
JT4A,DATA
JT4A,DATA
JT4B,DATA
JT4B,DATA
JT4C,DATA
JT4C,DATA
JT4D,DATA
JT4D,DATA
JT4E,DATA
JT4E,DATA
JT4F,DATA
JT4F,DATA
JT4G,DATA
JT4G,DATA
JT65,DATA
JT65A,DATA
JT65A,DATA
JT65B,DATA
JT65B,DATA
JT65B2,DATA
JT65C,DATA
JT65C,DATA
JT65C2,DATA
JT6M,DATA
JT9,DATA
JT9-1,DATA
JT9-10,DATA
JT9-2,DATA
JT9-30,DATA
JT9-5,DATA
JT9A,DATA
JT9B,DATA
JT9C,DATA
JT9D,DATA
JT9E,DATA
JT9E FAST,DATA
JT9F,DATA
JT9F FAST,DATA
JT9G,DATA
JT9G FAST,DATA
JT9H,DATA
JT9H FAST,DATA
LSB,SSB
MFSK,DATA
MFSK11,DATA
MFSK128,DATA
MFSK16,DATA
MFSK16,DATA
MFSK22,DATA
MFSK31,DATA
MFSK32,DATA
MFSK4,DATA
MFSK64,DATA
MFSK8,DATA
MFSK8,DATA
MSK144,DATA
MT63,DATA
OLIVIA,DATA
OLIVIA 16/1000,DATA
OLIVIA 16/500,DATA
OLIVIA 32/1000,DATA
OLIVIA 4/125,DATA
OLIVIA 4/250,DATA
OLIVIA 8/250,DATA
OLIVIA 8/500,DATA
OPERA,DATA
OPERA-BEACON,DATA
OPERA-QSO,DATA
PAC,DATA
PAC2,DATA
PAC2,DATA
PAC3,DATA
PAC3,DATA
PAC4,DATA
PAX,DATA
PAX2,DATA
PAX2,DATA
PCW,DATA
PCW,DATA
PKT,DATA
PSK,DATA
PSK10,DATA
PSK10,DATA
PSK1000,DATA
PSK125,DATA
PSK125,DATA
PSK250,DATA
PSK2K,DATA
PSK31,DATA
PSK31,DATA
PSK500,DATA
PSK63,DATA
PSK63,DATA
PSK63F,DATA
PSK63F,DATA
PSKAM10,DATA
PSKAM10,DATA
PSKAM31,DATA
PSKAM31,DATA
PSKAM50,DATA
PSKAM50,DATA
PSKFEC31,DATA
PSKFEC31,DATA
PSKHELL,DATA
PSKHELL,DATA
Q15,DATA
QPSK125,DATA
QPSK125,DATA
QPSK250,DATA
QPSK31,DATA
QPSK31,DATA
QPSK500,DATA
QPSK63,DATA
QPSK63,DATA
QRA64,DATA
QRA64A,DATA
QRA64B,DATA
QRA64C,DATA
QRA64D,DATA
QRA64E,DATA
ROS,DATA
ROS-EME,DATA
ROS-HF,DATA
ROS-MF,DATA
RTTY,DATA
RTTYM,DATA
SIM31,DATA
SSB,SSB
SSTV,DATA
T10,DATA
THOR,DATA
THRB,DATA
THRBX,DATA
THRBX,DATA
TOR,DATA
USB,SSB
V4,DATA
VOI,DATA
WINMOR,DATA
WSPR,DATA

Taken from the mode and submode table here:
https://adif.org/310/ADIF_310.htm#Mode_Enumeration

and assigned a suitable SOTA mode.

73 Joe

2 Likes

I might be able to help there. Send me a link to the source and I’ll put in the conversion. Joe has already worked out the mapping - thanks Joe.

73, Gerard - VK2IO

That’s good for now - in fact I like it. The question that is nagging at me though is how often that mapping would need to be updated in the code as and when new Datamodes came along. I guess the overwhelming probability for any unrecognised mode is that it is DATA so that could be a default - but then there would be the concern of everyone’s typos / corrupted logs being logged as DATA instead of rejected.

Indeed most modes will be DATA. I was wondering what OTHER would be? Are there any QSO logged as OTHER ?
I suggested to assigned ATV as OTHER and not as DATA because there is Analog and digital ATV so a bit unclear.

In addition the table could reject certain modes like WSPR that are not 2way QSO types.

73 Joe

I can’t check from here but yes, there probably will be. Some early digital voice contacts will have been logged as OTHER as DV was added quite late.

I see. So the only situation might be with mode specific awards that could be claimed.
But in the end it is only relevant for an improved version of the ADIF import.

Yeah. Better not to have a default, though the program from which the ADIF comes would (hopefully…) have done the validation that should mean typos don’t get as far as an exported ADIF… (Was that a flying pig I just saw?)

Cdertainly some sense in that! :wink:

I have added this as part of some other work I was doing for Tom and built the new version but have not pushed it live as it’s too late and I prefer to be alert when doing these sorts of things :slight_smile:

The reality is both CSV and ADIF upload need a bit of consolidation in their code and this is step 1 on an 8 or 9 step journey, and I am reluctant to kick all that work off without a clear schedule for completing. Eventually CSV upload will pick this table up too.

2 Likes

Thanks Andrew. Midnight local - no wonder you held off.
Post out when it’s up and I’ll test the ADIF import.

73, Gerard - VK2IO

Should be available now.

Tested a JS8 QSO in ADIF and the conversion to DATA worked fine.
Thanks again, Andrew.

3 Likes