Lleyn Peninsula road trip GW4VPX

After a wonderful activation a few weeks ago on Mynydd Enlli GW/NW-072 (Bardsey Island) with Ben GW4BML, Martha and little Lyra I felt I needed to get on with completing the summits on the Lleyn Peninsula. So with the weather looking good for Tuesday 26th/27/28 July I booked for 2 nights at the Woodlands Hall Hotel in Edern…highly recommended.

GW/NW-056 - Moel y Dyniewyd (Tuesday)
This summit was activated in the afternoon on my way up to the hotel and I used Simon G4TJC’s route from SOTA Mapping parking by Llyn Dinas. A fairly stiff climb for the first km but gets better on a very busy track. There is also an option to approach from Nantmor. 28 chasers made my log with 2 s2s.

Looking back down on Llyn Dinas as I climb

Set up for 2m and HF

Llyn Dinas below and clouds on Snowdon GW/NW-001

Wednesday 27th July
GW/NW-075 - Yr Eifl

Plenty of room to park for this one but it is a busy summit so I only activated 2m from up near the trig then dropped down for HF. This time I used Gerald MW0WML’s route from SOTA Mapping. 26 chasers in my log with 5 s2s

On my way

Pole still in my rucksack whilst I operated 2m through homebrew Slim Jim

HF set up below Trig and out of the way

Great views from Yr Eifl

Looking North

GW/NW-050 - Gyrn Ddu

In the afternoon heat this one looked daunting but I made it after nearly consuming all of my water. Simon’s route for this one and it was spot on. Be warned that there is a boulder field to the summit. I managed both 2m and HF again although my EFHW was running downhill into the boulders and not in it’s usual inverted V configuration, nevertheless job done. 25 chasers in my log with just 1 s2s.

2m from rucksack…EFHW from walking stick stuck in the rocks

Looking back at Yr Eifl

My EFHW sloping downwards…great view to the North.

Looking North

Thursday 28th July

GW/NW-077 - Mynydd Anelog
Two nice easy summits today as my legs needed a rest. Plenty of room for parking by the Chapel…easy route to the summit using Phil G4OBK’s route. 29 chasers in my log and 1 s2s.

Set up for 2m and HF

Messy office again

Mynydd Enlli GW/NW-072 on Ynys Enlli

GW/NW-064 - Mynydd Rhiw
The last summit of my road trip. Despite several Communication towers I didn’t experience any interference although my Yaesu FT270 is very good on this type of summit. 33 chasers in my log and 3 s2s

Trig in sight

My EFHW sloping down again…furthest contact was to Portugal on 20m and 15m.

Across to Ynys Enlli

Across to Cardigan Bay

So that’s the Lleyn Peninsula completed. Thanks to all the chasers and activators for the contacts and to Simon @G4TJC, Gerald @MW0WML and Phil @G4OBK for uploading their GPS routes on to SOTA Mapping…great resource.

73 Allan GW4VPX

22 Likes

Our Bardsey Island trip was a great enjoyable adventure :grinning: it looks like the wx was with you when you returned to the Lleyn. Great report and photos @GW4VPX Allan - it was a pleasure making most of your logs as a chaser. They were also uniques for me, so thank you very much! Look forward to your next SOTA outing :+1:

73, GW4BML. Ben

1 Like

A great adventure Allan, looks like you had the weather on your side as well. I did try to chase you on some of the summits on HF, but sadly the propagation gods were not on my side. Look forward to another QSO with you soon.

1 Like

Thanks Allan for sharing your activation details with great photos. :+1:

cheers, Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Great stuff Allan, cracking photos and nice report.

1 Like