Lightning Sensor

Following the discussions on static charges on antennas and lightning when on hills perhaps this device might be of interest: Sensor Solutions | ams

Personally I use the flash/bang and hair standing on end system (and am a devout believer that wet seaweed has more accurate weather prediction properties than all the super computers on the planet!)

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to GM4TOE:

Personally I use the flash/bang and hair standing on end system (and
am a devout believer that wet seaweed has more accurate weather
prediction properties than all the super computers on the planet!)

I wholeheartedly agree, Barry!

BTW, and off-topic, did you receive my application for a Chaser Award which I sent by email/PayPal before the postal prices went up?

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

The good old Irish Weather Stone is useful but has not yet been developed to include lightning prediction!

http://my.greasy.com/blogsterella/amazing_irish_weatherstone.html

Perhaps ‘Smoking cord and black stone’ ?

Dave

In reply to GM4TOE:
(and

am a devout believer that wet seaweed has more accurate weather
prediction properties than all the super computers on the planet!)

Years ago I experimented with seaweed. I found that if it was raining the seaweed was wet, if it wasn’t raining the seaweed was dry! It has no predictive properties whatsoever, and tells you nothing that you can’t find out by holding your hand out! On the other hand, there is nothing more bowel-loosening than having your ice axe start humming to you…I used to say that I wouldn’t mind having my ashes scattered on a nice mountain, but an on-the-spot cremation was not part of my life plan!

Br

In reply to G3NYY:

Off Topic:

Application received Walt in plenty of time; unfortunately every man (and his dog) applied just before the prices went up so some didn’t make it out by the deadline (which I thought was Monday but was in fact Saturday!).

Additional costs covered by an a generous benefactor

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to GM4TOE:

Many thanks, Barry! I can understand it’s been a busy time … hi!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to GM4TOE:
A small AM/MW broadcast receiver detects lightning crashes at useful distances and you can listen to Radio Seagull on 1395 at the same time.