Lift on 2m?

In 24 attempts at working 2m FM from G/SP-004 Shining Tor this year, mostly using the X-300 collinear and FT-857, I’ve never ever managed to work Don G0RQL down in Devon.

However, all this changed today when Don came back to my CQ with a stonking 5/9!

Don seemed as surprised as me at making this contact…

What made this 193 mile 2m FM contact even more remarkable …it wasn’t done on the X-300 collinear and FT-857, but on a Wouxun H/H and the little bunny ear dipole, I knocked up earlier this year.

A S2S contact of a 120 mile was also made with Phil G4OBK/P on Seat Sandal G/LD-022. Phil was seemed very pleased with this contact.

Oh, how I regret leaving the X-300 behind today of all days :frowning:

But with the 10m fishing pole for HF, it was just too much weight.

Possibly a bit of a lift on 2m?

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I’m assuming the dipole was horizontal Mike. Be more interesting if the pair of you were cross polarised.

I don’t know, have you asked old Billy Hepburn. He’ll probably know…

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tr_map/archive/5eur.jpg

Draw your own conclusions. :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I’m assuming the dipole was horizontal Mike. Be more interesting if
the pair of you were cross polarised.

No Andy, the dipole was vertical and I’m almost certain Don was using his beam, so almost certainly cross polarised.

I don’t know, have you asked old Billy Hepburn. He’ll probably
know…

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tr_map/archive/5eur.jpg

Draw your own conclusions. :wink:

Clear as mud OM :wink:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Nothing to do with your 1500 Watts and Don’s 200 element beam then?

In reply to G1STQ:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Nothing to do with your 1500 Watts and Don’s 200 element beam then?

Yeah, if the truth be known, carrying the linear and 200Ah lesure battery was the reason I left the collinear behind :slight_smile:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

You don’t do propagation predictions then Mike?

I’d have thought someone as keen on 2m as you would be glued to the sites like this so you know when conditions may be up. Still a good contact for FM though. Was the antenna vertical or horizontal?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

You don’t do propagation predictions then Mike?

I’d have thought someone as keen on 2m as you would be glued to the
sites like this so you know when conditions may be up. Still a good
contact for FM though.

Almost exclusivly HF these days, Andy…

Was the antenna vertical or horizontal?

At the risk of being acussed of repeating my self after my last post :wink:

“No Andy, the dipole was vertical and I’m almost certain Don was using his beam, so almost certainly cross polarised.”

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Note to self: always ensure you scroll to the top of a reply and start reading from the beginning so you don’t miss any important bits of info. :slight_smile:

Right having read all your post this time I’ll continue…

That’s not a bad contact then Mike. 2m SSB and a small beam and you’d be unlikely not to work Don. But cross polarised (probably), FM, a wee dipole and a handy then it’s not to be sniffed at. In fact, I think your probably entitled to a wee grin Mike. Go on, it’s only 3 sleeps to Christmas :slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

It is possible that the mode was aircraft reflection, which can give some pretty hefty signals at times when the characteristic flutter has slowed to zero beat. The Hepburn chart shows some enhancement in the southwest, but I have found him so unreliable that I have removed him from my “Favourites.”

Brian G8ADD

Only using the modest equipment to-day,had to turn off the 1500w and umptean element,didn’t want to blow his front end.
10 ele 1985 horizontal Jaybeam and TS2000 100w.Looks like I best put the vertical 10 elements back on the boom.
Well done Mike.

In reply to MM0FMF:

That’s not a bad contact then Mike. 2m SSB and a small beam and you’d
be unlikely not to work Don. But cross polarised (probably), FM, a wee
dipole and a handy then it’s not to be sniffed at. In fact, I think
your probably entitled to a wee grin Mike. Go on, it’s only 3 sleeps
to Christmas :slight_smile:

Cheers Andy. I’ve worked some exotic DX from G/SP-004, but that comes pretty close to one of the best contacts I’ve made from there…

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G0RQL:

Only using the modest equipment to-day,had to turn off the 1500w and
umptean element,didn’t want to blow his front end.
10 ele 1985 horizontal Jaybeam and TS2000 100w.Looks like I best put
the vertical 10 elements back on the boom.
Well done Mike.

Great contact Don! Many thanks…

BTW, thanks for the call on 40m too.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G8ADD:

when the characteristic flutter has slowed to zero beat.

Hi Brian,

Would you care to explain a little more about this phenomenon please? I know the sound of the flutter you mention, but never really dwelled on it much beyond it being “a kind of mobile flutter” (but with the moving and reflective object being in the middle). How is the zero-beating fitting into the picture such that it produces flutter in my FM receiver?

Dave M0MYA.

EDIT: Here’s a good page that goes some way to answering my own question, though I’d still be happy to hear it put across in somebody else’s words :slight_smile:

http://www.70mhz.org/index.php?categoryid=2&p2_articleid=311