Lets see your shelters Tent / Tarp / Kisu

Thumbs up for the DD ultraight tarp. I got mine in a very fetching orange. I figured it would make it easier for the rescue helicopter to find me ! It needs more than 4 pegs though to give you options. I started off with a 2 man storm shelter, but the condensation almost renders it useless, so I only use it now if I’m caught out in a downpour.
Google Photos

Google Photos

Google Photos

8 Likes

A selfmade 3x3 m Sil-Nylon tarp on OE/NO-003 on a windy day for SOTA and contesting.

More in my video:

5 Likes

I have a homemade tarp that I use occasionally:

I also have a cuben fibre mid from Locus Gear for multi-day trekking:

For those interested in making their own shelter, Extremtextil in the EU has a great selection of materials:

73 de OE6FEG
           Matt
3 Likes

What solution you choose seems to be geographic location based. We don’t have rain issues in the mountains in Colorado. The issue here is wind and rocky steep terrain. We do have grapple and snow which becomes an issue as it melts quickly on my rig! I mostly use a bothy bag in windy conditions in places I can’t find a suitable place protected from the wind or if it’s really cold (sub freezing) and no sun. It’s amazing how warm you can be with no wind, freezing temps and radiation from the sun! In those conditions I’m happy to not be in the bothy.

You can visit my QRZ page to see what my operating positions look like.

73, Brad
WA6MM

2 Likes

I tried a bothy bag - but found it somewhat claustrophobic - I like to see around - so the tarp ( DD lightweight ) is my current choice of shelter. I have a stuff sack tied to it and 8 short pegs which have worked so far… Slightly more subtle coolour…

6 Likes

Loved the video! Thanks

That looks great, but seems to cost a lot, have I worked this out correctly 66,000 JPY, that translates to £430! Wow!

1 Like

The silnylon tents are cheaper, but yes, the cuban fibre stuff is pretty expensive.
73 Matt

1 Like

I use a UST all-weather tarp.

It is light and compact and ideal to keep the sun, wind and rain out, during an activation.

73’s
David
G4ZAO

3 Likes

Sometimes I take my Trailstar to use as summit shelter. It provides good cover against rain or wind, there is ample space inside, it is not heavy and can be pitched with trekking poles, which I usually carry with me anyway. Highly recommended.

On SP/BZ-024:

On OM/ZA-023 with @SQ9APD inside:

On SP/BZ-041:

10 Likes

Beautiful country where you live that requires constant adapting for the weather.

Malen
VE6VID

2 Likes

Great video Joe. Cheers :beers:

Geoff vk3sq

2 Likes

Hello to all
My shelters are depend from summit, distance to walk and plans (1 or 2 days on stay out). Some times i use half Polish Lavvu but its heavy and not so good to carry for long distance,

also use army tarp, or if i stay over night often use small tent (Highlander Blackthorn 1 ) is small and light (around 1.5kg) but there is not much space.

73, Mateusz

6 Likes

The thing I like about Tarps is that they are adaptable. Saturday I started in winds so I created a lean-to against a nearby wall. G/SP-004

Sunday Free Standing

7 Likes

I am becoming soft in my dotage and have been thinking of getting a similar setup. It’s not something that’s needed most of the time, just the summits with no obvious shelter and when it’s going to be cold/windy/wet etc.

I can pickup a tarp of that size with the tie down eyelets fitted delivered for £3.00 that weighs 60gsm or I can buy Tyvek sheeting by the linear meter in 1.4 or 2.8m wide sections for about twice that price that is 43gsm. Tyvek is lighter but I would need to buy the eyelets and a fitting tool which adds more cost. It’s always fun to make your own but I’m not sure there’s any effective payback on buying the Tyvek extras that is made up in the reduced weight being carried. Unless I can sell at least 10 completed Tyvek tarps I think I’ll punt for the ready made one.

1 Like

Oh mine’s heavy duty… all of 95gsm. :grinning: The larger tarp is around 80gsm, but in my opinion it’s a bit thin and flaps quite wildly in the wind. I’m considering buying something larger (3m x 3m) and heavier for the S2S events when I’m on a summit for several hours. More weight to carry, but I don’t walk many miles to the summit on those occasions. Folding them up with a strong wind blowing is always fun. :wink:

1 Like

I very rarely set up a shelter on a summit.
As far as my tent, I am using the ZPacks Duplex tent these days. Used it on my Long Trail section hike and really liked it.
The Bothy bag idea is interesting. I don’t see myself packing another pound of gear though when I already have a tent (though it would take much more time to set up the tent).
Picture of my tent in Iceland. A SOTA summit is in the background.

8 Likes

I have the Nemo Hunker 2P. Unfortunately, I don’t think they make it anymore. I found mine at a local outdoor gear consignment shop. It’s an ultra lightweight tarp shelter. Has just enough room for me and my backpack when set up. Packs down to about the size and weight of a roll of toilet paper. It is always on the packing list. Great for a surprise rain shower, as a wind shield, or, heaven forbid, if you got stranded in the woods for a time.

Here it is set up on W4C/CM-005 (Black Balsam Knob). Temperature was comfortable when I started up the trail, so I didn’t bring along my jacket. Summit was very windy at the top, making for a rather chilly experience. This shelter did an excellent job of blocking off the wind and made things much more comfortable.

8 Likes

I am a huge fan of the DD Tarps 3x3 Tarp configured as a Trap tent. It is light, spacious enough for two, tall enough for a small seat, and has coped with very strong winds.
On a recent joint activation with Shane, G6WBS, I was really impressed by his Coleman Sundome shelter which is heavier, more spacious, provides a full waterproof groundsheet and is super quick to erect. An added bonus is that it does not give the impression that you are setting up to spend the night.
It is not the right solution for every situation, but at around £25, I could not see a reason not to buy one.
73, Kevin MW0KXN

9 Likes

I just use a classic little tent. Lightweight and easy to put up.

4 Likes