Let SOTA Goat guide you

No app needed in Germany where the contour lines are clearly visible. :slight_smile:
img_1229

9 Likes

Wait, are the contours on the roads a real thing?

Hi Rockwell,

Thank you for renewing your interest in keeping SOTA Goat going, I am enjoying the revived app very much. Good job.

1 Like

Looks like the approach road to Hornisgrinde DM/BW-019, and yes, there are painted contours on that road. Not sure if it’s a general thing :smiley:

DM/BW-019 is correct!

Aha, not bad for a VK :wink:

2 Likes

Great new features I will be trying them out this weekend, thanks for all the effort that you have put into renewing this application. This is the best SOTA application and this extra functionality allows me to use my cell primarily. Also the alerts for activation’s means that I can retire HamAlert.

1 Like

I love what you’ve done with it, including the Summit Tracker. I’m all for keeping that feature. Sure, there are nuances to GPS elevation, bla bla bla but it’s pretty cool. It’s ultimately up to the activator to ensure they are legally in “the zone”. I generally activate from the peak but having that reference there for elevation is helpful. I’ve had to descend off the peak to get far enough away from RF to activate (that was a real bear of a summit).

The quick access to the summit that I’m on is very handy as well, since I use the app to spot myself. I did notice today that it wouldn’t take my spot. When I got home, I tried logging out and then back in to sotawatch and it works fine now.

What’s next? I’d love to see logging to round out the app. I use hamlog but it’s SOTA export sucks, and there’s no place to put in the other person’s summit if it’s a S2S contact.

You rock!!!

Thanks & 73,
N1CLC

3 Likes

Yes, this is an issue I recently discovered and will work on fixing this week. Signing out and back in is the fix - it’s because the SOTAwatch session expires after 10 days.

There is nothing is on the roadmap right now, beyond usability improvements and bug fixes. Logging is A Whole Thing, but never say never. WaveGuide is my other – more popular – app that has gone long in the tooth, so it’s probably time to give it some love.

I finally got out yesterday as well, and the Goat worked great! Love the updates!!

I also had to log out / back in to get spots working. No biggie, I always expect to have to do that after an update =)

Thanks!!

-Josh

New version of SOTA Goat available (1.6.1) which claims to have this fixed! It may become my favorite SOTA spotting app again…

Just a reminder to anyone who doesn’t know - this app does not work on Android phones and tablets - only Apple iPhone. Shame that…

73 Phil

1 Like

Hijacking this zombie thread to say that I just discovered:

If you are using an authenticator app with your SOTAwatch account, you will not be able to log in to SOTA Goat currently.

You will have to remove the authenticator from your account. SOTA Goat’s login flow does not support it. I’ll have to work with the SOTAwatch admins to figure out a solution.

1 Like

Quick amendment: if are you using two-factor authentication, you can now log in by going Settings tab -> SOTAwatch3. There is a text field to input your six-digit authenticator code there.

v1.6.2 will be out this week which will also add the code to the regular login screen.

3 Likes