LD Query

Does anybody know if the Kirkstone Pass is still closed? If so, how far can you drive up it from the Patterdale side - can the car park near the top be reached?

I will be staying with my climbing club friends at Patterdale this weekend and have LD-017 and/or LD-018 in mind weather permitting, with LD-027 at the top of the fallback list!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Info on this is very scarce to say the least! We drove through earlier in the year and the closure seemed to be going to be between Brothers Water Hotel and Patterdale, from about the 15th of Jan with a diversion?? As far as I can see that would involve either the M6 or Dunmail Raise but maybe they know better!
Local radio is not flaging it up as closed at the moment so it’s anyones guess.If we hear anything I’ll post it. There’s always the Mells and Place Fell if all else fails. Enjoy the visit Brian, we’ll keep an ear open for you.

Rob
G4RQJ

In reply to G8ADD:

Brian,
Give Gail or John a call at the Kirkstone Pass Inn, 015394 33888, I am sure they will tell you.

Regards
lee

In reply to G8ADD:
The notices say , Closed Monday to Friday 0900 to 1700,diversion via Windermere and Keswick or Penrith for approx 12 weeks.
Enjoy!
Rob
G4RQJ

In reply to G8ADD:
Did you manage to drive straight up kirkstone pass at the weekend or was the road shut, did hear a few stations say they where waiting for your qso. Hope you managed to activate the summits, and enjoy the fresh air in the lakes. Steve m0sgb

In reply to M0SGB:
Read the Cumbria CC Thread:

http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/news/2008/january/09_01_2008-162424.asp

Hopefully it will be all done by the time I go up there in late March.

About Place Fell - it’s not bad at all for VHF. In September on Helvellyn with FT-817 and RSS made 11 QSOs (Best DX /M station in Anglesey). On Place Fell the following day with the same set up 10 QSOs with best DX GW0DSP.

The really difficult one around there is Hallin Fell - a failure with 3 QSOs to Penrith and on the same day as the Place Fell activation. HF is a must there.

73 Phil

You would have thought so, wouldn’t you? Hence why I did it on 80m CW last summer. When we switched over to 80m SSB for Jimmy, he struggled. I think he made just one contact on 80m SSB, but was able to get the other three on 2m FM with his handheld!

In reply to G4OBK:
Sorry I missed this last night.

The roadworks are currently just uphill from the Brothers Water area: closure 0900 to 1500 Monday to Friday, then a temporary surface to run on, and I believe the top of the pass is accessible from the Windermere side. It has disrupted the bus routes, too, with the service terminating at the stop by the “Helvellyn road”. Conditions have been poor what with the snow and heavy rain that has put really deep ruts in tracks that were quite good in November, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the roadworks go over schedule!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M1EYP:
It was a good move then Tom to use 80m CW on Hallin Fell.

It would be an advantage if another member of our family (XYL Judy) would take her Foundation Licence exam (she got 2 marks short of a pass a couple of years ago on a “mock exam” and all she knows about ham radio is from listening to my waffle!). I could then walk off the summit AZ or she could to give that valuable 4th handheld QSO, and also give chaser points. Judy says she would gladly sit the exam and take out a licence providing that I join the Malton & Norton Musical Theatre of which she is a member. I’m still making my mind up whether to say yes and will do for some considerable time…

Thank’s to Brian G8ADD for the info about the Patterdale road. I guess you stayed at The Patterdale Hotel Brian - a great value for money hotel and good food.

Phil

In reply to G4OBK:

No, Phil, I stayed with the Mercian Mountaineering Club at the Agnes Spencer Memorial Hut belonging to the Cleveland Mountaineering Club, down the lane opposite to the “Helvellyn Road”, self catering at £6 pppn a bargain, though the solid fuel stove heating the main room took some mastering and was a bind to clean out!

I would recommend any activator to join their local climbing club, specially if they have their own “hut” in some useful mountain area! They welcome all mountain lovers and look on our radio eccentricities with tolerance or even interest.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G4OBK:

The Patterdale Hotel Brian - a great value for money hotel and good food.

& dont forget the Hesket Newmarket brewery "Doriss 90th birthday ale"