LD-001 but where is LD-002

In reply to G8ADD:

Brian,

… but at least when you are on a Marilyn you have a guaranteed
height differential of 150 metres, something that you can see.

No so! There are plenty of Marilyns I’ve been up that do not give the impression that they are 150m above their surroundings. It is purely a convenient measurement to establish those summits that qualify for the programme. Maybe you should try Hegdon Hill or Aconbury Hill sometime.

but if you want to experience the granite of Cornwall or the mica schist of
Lochaber you still have to go there.

Agreed, but that is a choice one makes. I am talking about satisfying the basic desire to activate a recognised SOTA summit. If there aren’t any located close by then you no doubt would say that’s tough. I have suggested a different approach which I would hope would be helpful to those who would like to give SOTA a try, but who are currently put off by long travel distances.

I have not seen Beacon Hill in Norfolk, its 102 metres may or may not
be impressive, but is it not true that you only want to add it to bump
up the numbers, and not for any other virtue it might possess?

I am not looking at the situation based on the virtues of the summit, but the situation of the potential SOTA activator. I was fortunate in my interest being kick-started by a Club SOTA activity day amongst the members of the De Montfort Uni ARS. I chose Walbury Hill SE-001 which is 1 hour 30 minutes drive away and I had a super day complete with Red Kites overhead at 20 feet. I tried the CE’s on the strength of that and I was not especially impressed with them apart from Bredon Hill CE-003 which is quite pleasant. What made it for me was the timing - I was due to go for a week in Northumberland and the SB’s got me well and truly hooked.

It is worth remembering that the Victorian pioneers of Welsh
mountaineering and climbing had to travel by train to Caernavon and
then walk or take a stagecoach to Ogwen cottage, a 3.15 start from
their homes on Saturday to climb hills the same day would have seemed
a heavenly luxury to them!

Of course, but times surprisingly have moved on. The Victorian pioneers had just one aspect to focus on. Now we have two. Anyway, a 350 mile round trip behind the wheel (however much I do enjoy driving my car) after a 50 to 60 hour working week is quite a task in itself. Others start earlier than I do and walk in the dark as well, so don’t belittle the effort that is made.

The argument now seems to say that if there are no qualified hills
close to where you live, don’t go to the hills that are qualified,
instead saw off the bottom of the goal posts to invent a few more hills.

This is not the arguement that I have put forward. If you are aiming that comment at me, I can only assume that you are making reference to the fact that I do not re-activate summits more local to me. That is a purely personal goal to activate unique summits and is totally irrelevant to the discussion. The suggestion that I put forward was made after considering the wider picture which shows an imbalance in the distribution of summits within England resulting in discrimination, particularly against those resident in the eastern counties.

When you recall yesterdays summit, do you remember the hill or the
contacts. I remember the hill and dream of the next one. I suspect
that you remember the contacts and dream of a better ODX for next
time. If so our minds will have difficulty meeting on this!

Far from it Brian. Just read my reports. Why do you think they do not include lists of individuals worked? That information is unnecessary as everyone worked knows who they are and the information is available on the database anyway. My reports describe sufficient detail of my route and the hill to give a good read and provide me with a measure of nostaglia in my old age, assuming I make that goal. My photos on Flickr are not endless shots of antennas and rigs, indeed I often take photos before and after the radio session rather than during it. No, like you I remember the hills, good and bad. I have an excellent photographic memory, but don’t ask me who I worked where, when or on what band. That’s what my log book is for.

73, Gerald

In reply to GW0DSP:

< I just meant that things can and do go wrong with radio
< equipment either in transit or on a summit…

Must be why I carry at least two rigs Mike! No more 34AH car batteries though thank goodness. The Pye Cambridge expired many years ago.

< the experience of sitting on a summit after the ascent and
< setting up of equipment, then that silent pause when one takes
< in their surroundings and that feeling of anticipation…

Precisely! Achieving the summit + Radio = Happiness (even when wet and cold).

73, Gerald

In reply to G3VQO:

THANK YOU Les

SOTA MT has my 100% support on this issue

Well that comes as no surprise.

In reply to 2E0HJD:

Mick you asked a question which deserves consideration and reply.

Derek my replies are mostly somewhat tongue in cheek ! as you stated
and are certainly not intended to upset anyone.
I agree with the sentiment that it would be nice to see others
offering their opinions as there seems to be a vast number who make no
comment, without their input the views of participant’s will never
truly be represented.

One of the problems we have Mick is that with written forums like this it is very difficult to know whether the writer is being serious, having a laugh, being wry or whatever. Coupled with the fact that quite a number of the users have never met each other, we don’t know each other well enough to not get the wrong end of the stick. I’m sure you’ve seen enough flame wars over the years to know what I mean. On top of that, we have people who are naturally outspoken, gregarious and even garrulous and others who are very reserved. Mix that with people who dont feel confident in their written words and coupled with the fact that what they write will be permanently visible and locatable on the net then it’s not surprising some will refrain from commenting in public.

Im aware of the fact that emails are often sent
round regrading some of the topics raised asking for the views of
others, why this happens i`v no idea after all we are all entitled to
our views so why not make your views known.

You’re right, everybone’s point of view is important but you will always find a significant number who will discuss issues in private and not commit in public. We should never be afraid of making our views known, even if they are at odds with the commonly held views of the majority. Occasionally discussions may appear heated, but for a forum that is essentially unmoderated, the behaviour on here is excellent compared to some forums. I can only guess that’s because we are all focused on the same ideas.

We all help make sota work so as such surely we should have an amount
of input and any suggestions for improvements should at least be
discussed and options considered in diplomatic British fashion before
being brushed aside, and remember there is always room for
improvement.

Absolutely! Sometimes I feel if people making suggestions for change were to present much more detailed proposals it would show that considerable thought had been given to how it would affect the workings of SOTA. That doesn’t mean that one line suggestions are less valid.

For the record, these are my views alone. The fact I’m AM for Scotland is entirely separate.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G1ZJQ:

I think that we tend to stay within “acceptable limits” on this Reflector because we know it is heavily read, sometimes by younger folk. We are all entitled to our opinions and this reflector is the only place we get the opportunity to express them openly amongst our peers. MT don’t intervene and as far as I am aware, none, or very few posts have been deleted or moderated.

The one big problem is of course, as Andy correctly points out, that the written word, unlike the spoken word, has no emphasis upon it the way speech has and therefore can be taken totally the wrong way.

I speak my mind, but on a topic only and not to individuals, ie my remark after Les posted was SOLELY my opinion of the official MT view and terse reponse and most definitely not to Les as an individual. I don’t know Les personally, we have never had the pleasure of meeting. What I’m trying to say is that if anyone takes my remarks on any subject as a personal attack, then they could’t be further from the truth.

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

I take your point, Mike. Long may the “acceptable limits” reign!

Mind you, I have to point out that when my kids were at school they knew and used more profanity than I do: they were picking up foreign language profanities from the children of immigrants!

Brian G8ADD