Knoxville TN SOTA

Just found out I will be in Knoxville TN this afternoon-Monday morning. I know there is a bunch of summits in that area ripe for picking!

Tentatively I plan on heading straight over to Clingmans Dome and hit Greentop on the way back to Alcoa tonight.

If anyone local can confirm this is a good plan (roads-access) let me know!

Is there fees to enter GSMNP? I checked the website but no info at least that I can find.

Any suggestions for tomorrow on peaks Close to TYS airport are welcome.

Thanks!

Erik
KE8OKM

1 Like

Erik,
All should know you’re looking for VHF summits especially. Also, tell your employer that he needs to consider SOTA summits when scheduling trips. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Good luck & 73!
Mike, WB2FUV

1 Like

My First Officer whom I just met this trip ordered a FT818 last evening!

He’s planning on taking the Tech Exam within then next month. He has a adventurous spirit also-so we should be seeing him in the SOTA ranks before long.

He’ll accompany me on this evenings activation(s)

“73”

Erik
KE8OKM

1 Like

Erik,
When I visited the Park a couple of years ago to activate Clingman’s Dome, I went into the Visitor’s centre to ask about entry fees.
It was explained to me that there were no entry fees. The reason was that when the land for the Park was assembled, many local people had to move out and part of the agreement was that they could always visit at no cost. It was simpler to not charge anyone, than to try and keep track of past residents who were allowed free entry.
Sounded OK to me!

Have a good SOTA visit to the area,

Ian
VE6IXD

1 Like

Erik, I see your type ratings on the FAA site. Do any of those machines have HF? Maybe a little chasing would impress your copilot.

K6EL

Well the day took a nosedive!!!:joy: Grand plans of activating SOTA peaks in the Smokey Mountains crashed when we were reassigned to a different trip tomorrow. (Very rare with my company)

It’s not all gloom though. Wednesday-Sunday this coming week on my own time will be spent in the Colorado Rockies calling CQ !

“73”

Erik
KE8OKM

1 Like