KH-1 for my first ped mob - tnx chasers!

A big thank you to everyone who chased me during my inaugural activation using the KH-1. The activation also was my first effort at pedestrian mobile, which went far better than I expected, greatly facilitated by the features and layout of the KH-1.

I typically send with my left hand and write with my right. I decided to learn how to send with my right hand vs. writing with the left when using the KH-1 as ped mob. So apologies for the multiple sending errors, and tnx for recognizing anything I sent that was “close enough” to your call ;-)! I think I got somewhat better as the activation progressed, but the cold temps froze my fingers after almost an hour of operating, and I had to go QRT. Sorry if I left anyone without a QSO.

73 Paula k9ir

13 Likes

Paula,
Thanks for the s2s !! It sounded like you had a lots of chasers.
Stay well & 73!
Mike, WB2FUV

Hi Paula,
Thanks for the contact! The signal was quite different from your usual signal but still good in the pile-up !
Congratulations and merry christmas.
Chris F4WBN

1 Like

Paula,

Yep I’m learning to do the same thing. I just keep telling myself the dah is on the outside paddle and I’m getting slowly better and more accurate. Looking forward to a KH1-KH1 S2S soon.

Michael, N4DCW

1 Like

Yes indeed, we need KH-1 “dueling rigs” for S2S.

I’m also going to try reversing the paddles to see if that makes it any easier for me. I also may go to Iambic A as the letter L still befuddles me with the right hand and trying to complete that last dit with the paddle closure. But after yesterday’s experience, I am confident that I can do this. Well worth the challenge for using this radio ped mob.

73 Paula k9ir

3 Likes

Chris, it was (as always) great to hear your call and log you. Not only was this my first KH-1 operation and first ped mob, it also was my first truly QRP activation. Glad the 5W or so got out your way.

73 Paula k9ir

1 Like

Mike, as always great to hear you and work you. Merry Christmas!

73 Paula k9ir

1 Like

Hi, Paula.
When I decided to teach my right hand to send years ago it was tough going until I tried the mirror image method. It was much easier.
Because I am left handed and learned as a Novice on a right handed bug I send backwards with both hands!
Good luck/73, David N6AN

1 Like

My Paddle experience is if Dots are sent with my thumb on the paddle I can send either hand, bugs are a bit trickier of course.
Well done regards
Ian vk5cz …

3 Likes

@K9IR

Curious when you ordered/received your KH1.

Tnx and 73

VE7ESE

10/20/2023.

73 Paula k9ir

KH1 reminds us how far we’ve come!
By the end of WW2, pedestrian mobile choices were a BC-611 Handy-Talkie at 5 pounds, or a BC -1000 Walkie-Talkie, at 38 pounds, including batteries and spare handset! Knowing CW makes things 20 dB better.

1 Like

Thanks @K9IR

I ordered same day. Looks like a mid-Jan wait now.

VE7ESE